Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My mum

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It probably doesn't need particular comment as it speaks for itself and is accompanied by a wonderful commentary on your blog but just to say this is fantastic. Probably as significant a set of photographs that any individual ever will take. Love it. Something very regal about that red hat photograph. Bottom line to the left. Cherish her.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Gordon Fraser

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    It probably doesn't need particular comment as it speaks for itself and is accompanied by a wonderful commentary on your blog but just to say this is fantastic. Probably as significant a set of photographs that any individual ever will take. Love it. Something very regal about that red hat photograph. Bottom line to the left. Cherish her.

That is very kind of you to comment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely shots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Beautiful shots. She looks like she's having a lot of fun with it too, which is always lovely to see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

great shots!
    what a nice idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Such a touching set of portraits. There is such dignity in that red hat picture.

Thanks for sharing.

(My nan suffers from severe Alzheimers and is was a proud, impeccably dressed woman. And even in her diminished state now, dressing her up in her best clothes adds a spark to her and the years fall off.)

quad_red wrote: »
    Such a touching set of portraits. There is such dignity in that red hat picture.

Thanks for sharing.

(My nan suffers from severe Alzheimers and is was a proud, impeccably dressed woman. And even in her diminished state now, dressing her up in her best clothes adds a spark to her and the years fall off.)

yep my mum always likes to look her best as well. Particularily if she is told she is having visitors....shiniest bestest clothes need to be brought out on those occassions and she loves it.

We just have to do our best to make sure she enjoys the moment she is in.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Lovely piece accompanied by equally lovely portraits. Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

These are really beautiful..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

The sticking point for me for any portrait shot is if i feel like i am experiencing something of the person's character and i really do get that from those photos.

Really nice work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Wow thanks for sharing them, My nan is the very same and I have been trying for the last few weeks to get some snaps. This gives me the kick up the arse to get going.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

beautiful portraits!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Class pics... love the last 3

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom Girl

Fantastic piece, she seems like a real character. Thanks for sharing, it made me smile. That red hat is lovely on your mum.

My gran had terrible Alzheimer's, she died 4 years ago, so it's always in the back of my mind that my dad or one of his siblings may develop it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭chisel

I feel quite emotional looking at these. I did something very similar with my own mother, and very shortly afterwards she died. I find the photos for the shoot very hard to look at now because of the memories wrapped up in them. I am very glad to have them though, its just I haven't come to terms with it yet. We had a very good relationship, almost moving from being a parent to being a friend. Miss her terribly.

I think in years to come both you and your family will be very glad you have these. It also looks very like she enjoyed doing it too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Very nice photos. Take loads before it's too late. And video as well. My dad had alzhimhers also, not easy.

http://www.dayswithmyfather.com/ is one of the most moving photo series I've seen, gets me every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Can't really add too much to these comments beyond throwing in another 'fantastic work', they really do capture your mother's character and I was touched by your blog post.

From a cold, heartless photography point of view, do you mind my asking what lighting/post production techniques you used to achieve the final result?

From a cold, heartless photography point of view, do you mind my asking what lighting/post production techniques you used to achieve the final result?

No probs answering that. Here is a shot of the setup in the room. When my mum was having her shots taken I put a chair in where I am standing and moved the softbox light back a foot so I could fit between it and her. So it was just one large softbox with an interfit 750 tungsten constant source head.

The camera was my usual iphone. This time an iPhone4s. As it's relatively low light and I wanted to make sure no blur from me shaking I put the phone on a tripod mount. The shots were processed in the snapseed app from Nik software where I added some "drama" sharpness and differntial focus blur.

hope that was of use.

Gordon

6399808645_96785c3c50.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how does she like the shots?

She has seen them. I was actually very concerned about showing them to her as her short term memory is around 2 - 15 minutes depending on her health. She walked back in to the room 5 minutes after we'd finished taking the pics as I was putting her hats away and she asked me why all her hats were out....so I didn't want to upset her by showing her the pics when she would not be able to remember it having taken place...and often that upsets her. However my wife persuaded me to show her and we did on Tuesday. She liked the smiling ones but wasn't happy with the non smiling ones or the positioning of her hats in a couple I haven't put up. She liked the fact she'd had her hats out though, even though she had absolutely no recollection of having her photo taken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

A while ago, after one of those interminable barren periods that punctuate my desire to take photographs, I came to the conclusion that the only photos that matter to me are the ones that only I can take.

I can take all the technically adept landscapes and sunsets and candyfloss water shots I like and they leave me cold. I can find one overexposed, slightly oof blurry shot of my 3 year old brushing her teeth lurking in a folder in my LR library and I know that in 10 years it will bring me back more happy memories than any landscape shot.

That's why I love these shots. They're important. They're a document. They're photos that only you could have taken. The fact that they're technically excellent is an added bonus!

Thank you for sharing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

As so many above have said, beautiful piece accompanied by some wonderful pictures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

The best thing about these photos is she looks like my mother, or your mother, or anyone's mother.

And also I don't think I've cried looking at photos on boards before.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭ellieswellies

Really lovely project and photographs. It reminded me of this http://www.dayswithmyfather.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭meercat

a148pro wrote: »
    The best thing about these photos is she looks like my mother, or your mother, or anyone's mother.

And also I don't think I've cried looking at photos on boards before.

i have to agree
    i was thinking about my mam before i got to this post,with a tear in my eye
    absolutely brilliant gordon fraser
    Thanks for sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Wonderful shots.

It just makes me appreciate how wonderful my Mam was (may she Rest In peace) and all Mams are - my wife included. Take a bow son. You deserve it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Awesome work. Im doing portraits at the moment for a project and this set is a real inspiration. Thanks for sharing, i love everything about these pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

The camera was my usual iphone.

WHAT?! Thats mind blowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Perfect timing, thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭EyeBlinks

Truly magnificent photos.

Done with an iphone, quite amazing !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Super stuff - and i truly wish her well

My grandmother who bought me my first camera , passed away a few weeks ago, all that is left is some portraits i took a few years ago and memories

Thanks everyone...

Memories are good....I am cherishing the ones I have of her.

It's a horrible illness and for those living with it in their friends or relatives all I can suggest is to have patience with them and to try to think how they must feel.....It's what helps me to stop from snapping and shouting at times.

Thank you so much for all your kind words about the pictures and your support.

Gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

Looking at these photos & reading your blog made me cry; it reminded me of my Nanny. Although she didn't have Alzheimers, I always wish that I had more photos to remember her by. This post is truly touching

Advertisement