Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Obtaining a copy of your criminal Record

Options
  • 24-11-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

I have been living in France for the last 5 years and I am now eligible to apply for French citizenship. One of the forms I need to supply is a copy of my criminal record (which should be empty).

The only problem is, when I contacted my local Garda station they told me that they can not give me a copy, that the French authorities will need to ask for a copy. Needless to say the French authorities are not going to do this, so I need to know how I can go about getting a copy? Is there an official agency that I need to contact?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

You can got to a Garda station and fill out a form for a certificate of character. If they need something more you would need to contact the Garda vetting office. Alternatively you can make a request for all information held on you under the Data protection Act. I'd say the first one would be enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Sorry about the off-topic. Is information held by the Gardai available under the data protection act; it would seem to be a bit daft if I could apply for any Garda held information about myself which would show any enquiries/investigations they could be making about me.

Or can they vet the information that they hold, which would in turn appear to be a breach of the DPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Zaharof

Fey! wrote: »
    Sorry about the off-topic. Is information held by the Gardai available under the data protection act; it would seem to be a bit daft if I could apply for any Garda held information about myself which would show any enquiries/investigations they could be making about me.

Or can they vet the information that they hold, which would in turn appear to be a breach of the DPA?

They are subject data protection legislation but Sections 4 & 5 of the Data Protection Acts give limited exceptions one of which being the guards to someone under investigation. They are also not a prescribed body under the Freedom of Information (Prescribed Bodies ) Regulations 2006 and therefore cannot accept an FOI application.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Op you need a Certificate of Character, it's purpose is naturalisation to another country and adoption. If you're living somewhere rural the local Garda may never have seen these forms as they are usually dealt with in the district head quarters.

Go to your nearest district headquarters, and ask for a certificate of character form. It's a simple form, it just asks for your name, address and date of birth. The main issue for you if you're abroad is it needs to be signed.

It takes a week or two for the certificate to be issued, anybody can collect it for you once arranged with the district office. Then just hand it into the French authorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Bring a stamp the Garda was very clear when I got mine that I had to pay for the stamp.

• Advertisement
Advertisement