Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone with Meteor can pay bill

Options
  • 24-11-2011 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi there my friend had taken out an iphone 4s with meteor and signed up to a 24 month contract 3 months ago but he can not afford to pay his bill and therefore no longer wants his phone, what happens now, does he give back the phone to meteor, or are meteor just going to look for their money. I know he can not afford this phone and he can not afford to pay his bill.

If he is told to keep the phone and just pay the contract he will not pay anything as he has done similar before, he is the type that just ignores letters looking for money and hopes that they will just forget about him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especially from somebody possibly in the same position.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

No you can't hand back the phone.
    Yes Meteor will chase you for payment.

If you ignore requests for payment they'll cut you off initially, then they'll pass your details over to a debt collection agency who will take up pursuing you for payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muck_savage

Dub12Dave wrote: »
    Hi there my friend had taken out an iphone 4s with meteor and signed up to a 24 month contract 3 months ago but he can not afford to pay his bill and therefore no longer wants his phone, what happens now, does he give back the phone to meteor, or are meteor just going to look for their money. I know he can not afford this phone and he can not afford to pay his bill.

If he is told to keep the phone and just pay the contract he will not pay anything as he has done similar before, he is the type that just ignores letters looking for money and hopes that they will just forget about him.

Any help would be greatly appreciated especially from somebody possibly in the same position.

Offer the phone back and tell them, due to current personnal financial situation you are not in a position to honour the contract!! you have two options!!

1. seek remedy by offering to meteor €5 - €10 a week/month till contract is paid up!! under contract law, they are obliged to take you offer because if they dont they break the contract and you will owe nothing!! you have offered remedy, and they know that if this was to go to court every judge in Ireland would rule in your favour as you have offered them money, and are willing to pay the debt you owe!!

2. cancel direct debit!! tell them as above your situation and you wont be continuing with contract!! they will send threatening letters, send them all back!! you will hear from debt collector, this is their mistake!! as they have now broken the data protection act 1988/2003, and under contract law, only 2 parties may hold a contract, and no third parties are allowed. you will send them 3 letters and that will be the end of the matter!! FACT!! if you need help let me know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

^^^ So much misinformation I don't even know where to start... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 muck_savage

Kensington wrote: »
    ^^^ So much misinformation I don't even know where to start... :confused:

misinformation????? where whats false or misinformed about my comment?? i speak the truth as i have been there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So what happens if he offers them €.13 a month, that have to accept right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

misinformation????? where whats false or misinformed about my comment?? i speak the truth as i have been there.

You defaulted on a 2year iPhone4S contract?

It really depends on the situation and the person involved, networks can and do take people to court. Before the tiger ran away it was about 2 customers a day on each network(over 2,000 a year), with the likes of iphone's costing a lot more than phones a couple of years ago I can only assume there doing it even more.

If it was me and I gave a free iphone4S to someone and they didn't pay me i'd want my money or at the least a judgment against them so they can't do it again to someone else.

OP get your friend to try an come to a deal with them (he needs to talk to them until it's resolved and the quicker the better), maybe pay off bit by bit until it's cleared off and then become a customer again with their number back working and a new understanding of the price plan there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

tuxy wrote: »
    So what happens if he offers them €.13 a month, that have to accept right? :rolleyes:

The debt would be cleared around this time in the year 2588, based on 20mts remaining on the current 24mt plan being paid at .13 a month. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Why not sell the iphone...go into meteor...Pay what you get from the phone as an advance on your bill..Should be at least 400euro..and that will keep them off your back and who knows..your situation may change

Good luck

Advertisement