Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

News and star yesterday - 1,000 jobs coming here?

• 24-11-2011 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Anyone have any insider information on this mystery American company possible looking to set up a call centre with 1,000 jobs :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

wasn't there talk of this a few weeks back, they where talking about limerick or dundalk or waterford..... waterford ruled out due to lack of facilities...

turned out it was paypal

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2011/1123/1224307994912.html

unless its a different american company altogether, be nice though for 1000 jobs to arrive, fingers crossed.

it would be nice to open the papers and read something positive about Waterford for a change instead of reading about some fella have a sh*t on the lawn down in Templers hall or the like

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ammobear

Didn't hear about the guy in Templars hall :eek:

Lovely

Oh well it probably is PayPal them - shame! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭reni10

That looks to be that then for Waterford and these jobs!!!

It must be PayPal and would have been great to have a company like that coming to Waterford but looks like this supposed IDA and gov task force for Waterford is all hot air yet again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

The government/IDA/our reps should be bending over backwards to ensure that company comes to Waterford. We just lost a big call centre and have the highest unemplyment in the country. 10,000 sq feet can be got, i dont care what excuse they give.

Max Powers wrote: »
    The government/IDA/our reps should be bending over backwards to ensure that company comes to Waterford. We just lost a big call centre and have the highest unemplyment in the country. 10,000 sq feet can be got, i dont care what excuse they give.

+1 +1 +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Were do the N&S get their sources from, it's a bit irresponsible of them to be printing BS, in fairness I read on here a few days ago that the 1000 jobs are going else were

yeah Dundalk and Limerick are battling for them. Simply because our own elected Td's haven't hands to wipe their ar5es. Im glad I can hand on heart say I didn't vote for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

It'd be great if it was true! IDA?!?! They can't even replace bulbs outside Honeywell Aerospace! The place is in complete darkness every night! Not great if you're a female walking on your own on these dark Winter nights. IDA are useless. Don't even get me started on the flooding when it rains outside Teva and B&L ...rant over lol :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ammobear

'Politicians from all parties are continuing to canvass for the PayPal call centre to be located in their constituencies. Though Limerick has been designated a priority region for investment, the IDA has only managed to secure 300 new jobs for the area over the past year' What are our representatives doing? And the IDA in Waterford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I know there was 40 jobs going at a new call centre i know someone who got the job can't remember the name of the company

• Advertisement

So 300 new jobs from the IDA in limerick in the last year, how many for Waterford????

All of this is going on as well when the supposed action plan for Waterford was supposed to be delivered more then 2 weeks ago!

If the IDA do not get these PayPal jobs then forget Waterford ever getting any more jobs of this type or calibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

reni10 wrote: »
    So 300 new jobs from the IDA in limerick in the last year, how many for Waterford????

Considering AOL/talktalk shed about 50 in Apr 2010, then another 50 or so in Apr 2011 and if you including canteen and cleaning staff, about 600 in October. And Rigney is to lose 170 odd in december iirc so thats -870. On the plus side there was that small outsource call centre that opened with about 40 people earlier this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Faq wrote: »
    I know there was 40 jobs going at a new call centre i know someone who got the job can't remember the name of the company

That's Eistec - Company set up by ex-Aol management before they closed im fairly certain. Its in Cleaboy business park and they do calls for Orange Mobile in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Does it show how bad things are that we get excited over call centre jobs? They are better than nothing, but they don't compete with well paying factory jobs.

Or am I missing something? Am I stereotyping call centre jobs? Are they actually well paying jobs for people with good skills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

dayshah wrote: »
    Does it show how bad things are that we get excited over call centre jobs? They are better than nothing, but they don't compete with well paying factory jobs.

Or am I missing something? Am I stereotyping call centre jobs? Are they actually well paying jobs for people with good skills?

There's a very wide spread of what you might call "call-centre jobs". The only common factor is that they involve someone at the end of a phone line, taking calls. I don't think they're any better or any worse than what you'd call "factory jobs", which can range from mind-numbing widget-in-box production-line stuff all the way up to advanced production engineering, like in pharmaceuticals.

A lot of the work I've done has been call-centre stuff, because I work in IT and speak a few languages.

The worst job I did was nothing more than low-paid sweatshop crap where the people answering the phones were nothing more than a shield for management, protecting them from having to listen to angry customers.

The best job was enterprise technical support where we'd be fixing problems with big IT systems in major airlines, telecoms companies, utilities, etc. It was well paid, and you had to know your stuff.

It all depends on the nature of the work, but there's a lot more to call centres than spending all day telling Mrs Jones in Nuneaton to "turn it off and back on again" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

And there is nobody working in honeywell today because their orders are down so it not getting any better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Sikie wrote: »
    And there is nobody working in honeywell today because their orders are down so it not getting any better
    There are people working in Honeywell today, I know because was talking to one on the phone. And they seem as busy as ever to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Are there not two honeywells? Maybe that explains the differing versions.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭TheGormog

reni10 wrote: »

All of this is going on as well when the supposed action plan for Waterford was supposed to be delivered more then 2 weeks ago!

If the IDA do not get these PayPal jobs then forget Waterford ever getting any more jobs of this type or calibre.

I couldn't agree more.

The treatment of the city and county of Waterford by the IDA et al has been nothing short of shambolic throughout the 'Celtic Tiger' years to date. Sadly our lack of political clout during this period has seen us miss the boat when it came to incentivisation of large multinationals to Ireland. And unfortunately, in the current global economic context, the chances of major job announcements for Waterford (or Ireland) are slim. Anybody expecting a magic bullet from the Dail Eireann would have more chance of buying a Christmas Turkey from P Larkin’s.

However, I think that it would be beneficial to drop the blame game. We're better than that.

It’s important to inject a bit of positivity into things (without shamelessly flogging a dead horse like the News & Star headline). Over the next decade most jobs created in Waterford will be in small to medium enterprises run by local people. It gives me great hope to see a small spattering of new businesses opening in the city (I just passed a new restaurant on Patrick’s Street this afternoon) at a time when common sense would caution against it.

The bottom line is that our future is in our own hands. As twee and simplistic as it sounds, supporting these local businesses (where possible) will make a big difference in the long run. A rising tide lifts all boats.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

letsbet wrote: »
    Are there not two honeywells? Maybe that explains the differing versions.

There are actually 3 separate Honeywell site on the IDA park, the biggest is the big green place opposite B+L, this is the premises which had to take a day off yesterday, the second plant is located at the exit of the IDA park out on to the cleaboy road, and the third is located in the old measurex building, This is the software division of the company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Yeah that's right, there's Honeywell Measurex, Honeywell Transportation and Honeywell Aerospace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Aquos76 wrote: »
    There are actually 3 separate Honeywell site on the IDA park, the biggest is the big green place opposite B+L, this is the premises which had to take a day off yesterday, the second plant is located at the exit of the IDA park out on to the cleaboy road, and the third is located in the old measurex building, This is the software division of the company.

I think the software division closed many years ago. Measurex are still on the go though.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah right, so what do they do in the measurex plant, I only assumed it was still the software division as that section used to be located in unit 411 and moved down to the measurex plant a few years back. As far as I'm aware, it's all office jobs in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Ah right, so what do they do in the measurex plant, I only assumed it was still the software division as that section used to be located in unit 411 and moved down to the measurex plant a few years back. As far as I'm aware, it's all office jobs in there.

Dont know what they make but think it's low volume units with big leadtimes as opposed to the high volume units with small leadtimes in the 411.

Some time ago I e-mailed all our councillors and TDs regarding ''what work they done with regards to getting those 1000 paypal jobs to Waterford''. 90% of them did not reply, but to give those (3 who responded) their credit:

Paudie Coffey's reponse was very good.
    Seamus Ryan - middling response
    John Cummins - middling response

I dont care which partys they are from, the others didnt bother responding; Im now assuming they did nothing, no work or made any effort to get these jobs to Waterford. I made it very clear in my mail that I would not regard sending a letter genuine effort. Business is not done, deals are not made and influencing does not happen by sending letters.

Its important that we all pressurise these people who think a couple of sound-bites on WLR or in the paper will keep us happy.

Some time ago I e-mailed all our councillors and TDs regarding ''what work they done with regards to getting those 1000 paypal jobs to Waterford''. 90% of them did not reply, but to give those (3 who responded) their credit:

I also emailed our 4 TDs and the only one to reply was Paudie Coffey as well and it was a detailed enough response!

As for the other 3, looks like they could not care less or can't get to grips with this new fangled thing called email!
    Wasters....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I dont care which partys they are from, the others didnt bother responding; Im now assuming they did nothing, no work or made any effort to get these jobs to Waterford. I made it very clear in my mail that I would not regard sending a letter genuine effort. Business is not done, deals are not made and influencing does not happen by sending letters.

Its important that we all pressurise these people who think a couple of sound-bites on WLR or in the paper will keep us happy.

Can you share the jist of the repsonses and if possible provide the list of email addresses. I know I could look each one up individually but to save a bit of time I'd appreciate it. I will mail them

Thomas,
    posted list of names and contacts earlier. I just added to the thread so should be on first screen of discussions called List of public reps. I think every one who gives out about politicians and wants to improve our city/country should have these names and contacts on a file on their computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Thomas,
    posted list of names and contacts earlier. I just added to the thread so should be on first screen of discussions called List of public reps. I think every one who gives out about politicians and wants to improve our city/country should have these names and contacts on a file on their computer.

See that now, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭vtec_vixen

dayshah wrote: »

I work in a Call Centre myself. Its not the worlds best money but its infinitely better than what I'd get off the social. They actually pay higher than the min wage and you do get a rise as time goes on.
    It can be a hard and stressfull job as the public aren't always the easiest to deal with but at the end of the day its a job and its not all bad the people are good craic and thats what keeps me going.

Alot of people that work here have Marketing and IT degrees. These, I'm sure in time if there is anything suitable would be given the opportunity to move in to a position more suited to their qualification.

Some of them already have.

Thats just my 2c from an inside perspective. Hope this helps :D:D

Advertisement