Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-Barrelling Sako85.

Options
  • 24-11-2011 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

OK, im thinking of re-barrelling my 85 for a barell slightly heavier..varmint type... Will the stock take this type of barell? I know it'll probably have to be worked on too, but am i just better off selling the 85 and getting a full blown varmint? shes a .300 Win Mag...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There's plenty of meat in the stock to sand out a bit to allow for a heavier contour. You'll just need to decide for yourself how much heavier you want. Bear in mind, even a contour heavier and slightly different profile (more of a straight taper perhaps?) will be very noticeable. Your best bet is to call in to Fergal Whyte and discuss the weight/length/balance options with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

cheers. thanks. just want a barel thats slightly heavier, i find that i am steadier with a heavier barrel, and also that 85 kicks like a ass as it is. :eek::)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Tac wrote: »
    cheers. thanks. just want a barel thats slightly heavier, i find that i am steadier with a heavier barrel, and also that 85 kicks like a ass as it is. :eek::)

Light gun in a .300 mag is sharp alright! Nice setup though, very nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

OK, im thinking of re-barrelling my 85 for a barell slightly heavier..varmint type... Will the stock take this type of barell? I know it'll probably have to be worked on too, but am i just better off selling the 85 and getting a full blown varmint? shes a .300 Win Mag...

Invariably Custom barrels are a shade wider. Mr White has an inletting tool to sort this.

You will have benefits galore with a varmint profile and a Muzzlebrake or My pref, mod on top.

anyone know roughly how much a re-barreling job would cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

anyone know roughly how much a re-barreling job would cost?

Every job/barrel is different. You'd be as well contacting Fergal directly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

i got fergal to re barrel an old sako for me. it was originally a varment barrel but i chose a slightly heavier profile and i had to remove some material from the stock to allow for the new barrel
    e4517890.jpg

this was the original barrel
    df831d9c.jpg
    as you can see it was fairly rusty this is barrel and action
    1885a502.jpg

any way the new barrel was fitted and i took it home and cleaned up the action and fitted it to the original stock that i removed the excess materal from
    c1e18b72.jpg

i couldnt be happier with my newly barrelled action. it is in a different league to factory barrel. you will know what i mean when you get it done

best if luck with your build

that looks class!!
    i am literally just off the phone to Fergal. one sound man. gave me all the info and has a .300 Win Mag barrel in stock too. gonna pop up to him one of the days for a coffee and a further chat about getting the work done.

roll on the new year!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Tac I have the Sako 75 laminated varmint with the fluted 24" barrel in 308, that's the short action. I think this is the largest barrel Sako make for their rifles.

I bought it second hand and it came with a well used synthetic pillar bedded stock not the original laminated Sako stock. It fitted the synthetic stock well enough but it still took off a little more to free float the barrrel, it touched a tad at one side, the way I wanted it to be. I use the lighter synthetic in the stalking season 'cos it's 1lb lighter than the laminated stock.

I got an as new laminated stock off e-bay later and pillar bedded the action.

So to answer your question a bit. Yes the bigger barrel will fit into the smaller stock, just to take off a little of the timber to free float the barrel.

Insyntheticstock01.jpg

InsyntheticstockandASENorthstarmod.jpg

Intimberstock01.jpg

Intimberstock07.jpg

They are class looking pieces of kit!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

They are class looking pieces of kit!!

Thanks Tac

And that Sako will shoot 1/2 MOA on a good day and sub MOA the rest of the time.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭50cal

I shoot a 75 synthetic in 300wm and in fairness it took a little getting used to but I have a muzzle brake for it and from time to time I use an ASE utra also.
    I would be very reluctant to fit a heavier barrel to mine because I use it for hunting and I like that its lightweight and nimble.
    It loves to shoot 200gr lapua's and I had in Poland only recently shooting boar and roe.
    Have you had the rifle for long ? Is it a case you haven't shot it enough or do you feel that you wont come to terms with the recoil ever?
    I would suggest a good moderator before a barrel change.

50cal wrote: »

I shoot a 75 synthetic in 300wm and in fairness it took a little getting used to but I have a muzzle brake for it and from time to time I use an ASE utra also.
    I would be very reluctant to fit a heavier barrel to mine because I use it for hunting and I like that its lightweight and nimble.
    It loves to shoot 200gr lapua's and I had in Poland only recently shooting boar and roe.
    Have you had the rifle for long ? Is it a case you haven't shot it enough or do you feel that you wont come to terms with the recoil ever?
    I would suggest a good moderator before a barrel change.

Thakks for the advice 50cal. im a fan of heavy barrels, and personally they suit me. i dont find they slow me down on the hunt. im hoping to have a machine i can shoot out to long ranges with, and also do boar with as well. i will be getting a titanium muzzle break fitted too. am well used to the Winny at this stage. Very fond of the round, its accurany and stopping power. my other two rifles both have heavy barrels also. T3 Supervarmint in 6,5x55 and a CZ 452 Varmint in .22lr.
    Thanks for the perspective! Appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Look forward to seeing here finished, I might get my Rifle rebarrelled soon too.
    We will see what happens.

With a mod on my .308 20" Varmint is very pleasant to shoot, without It is aggressive and very noisy.

A win Mag would be even more so.

Post lots of Pics!

Advertisement