Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student wanted for music video

Options
  • 24-11-2011 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi, we have a new single due out over the next few months. Its a radio friendly dance track, with a vocal hook. 3 mins or so long. We are looking for a student to make a music video. Unfortunately all we can offer at this stage is a percentage of royalties from sales recieved and a link back to you at the end of the video to help promote your services.

We dont really want to appear in the video ourselves, so the whole creativity side would be open to whoever would like to take it on, we have one idea that might suit the theme of the video, but again, we are open to all ideas. We'd help out with whatever we could on the day(s) too.. making tae, setting up, gofering, getting extras, sorting venues/locations, sorting props etc..

The track will be licenced to a record label and will be released on all the top download stores including beatport and itunes, national/international airplay too.

If you are interested hearing the song and working with please reply and I'll pm you a link to the song. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

This sounds like something I'd be in to. Would have to hear the track first. Drop me a pm if that suits.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

good stuff...

pm'd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

What percentage of royalties is on offer?

Are you prepared to cover expenses of any props required?

You've stated that you'll sort out locations / venues, extras, etc... Will you be sorting out property and model releases where required?

What about copyright for the video, is this to be retained by the videographer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Tactical wrote: »

Its a good question Tactical. I would say that if the videographer asserts copyright from the start then they will own copyright.
    It would not be unreasonable for whomever makes the video to claim copyright in these circumstances.

Thanks for the questions folks, I have more chance of someone working with us if these issues are addressed.
    What percentage of royalties is on offer?
    What would you consider fair? Totally open to suggestions.
    Are you prepared to cover expenses of any props required?
    Depends, sure we could sort something.. wont let obstacles stand in the way..
    You've stated that you'll sort out locations / venues, extras, etc... Will you be sorting out property and model releases where required?
    Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I reckon you mean getting permission to film in premises and rights to use footage of people then yep, as above, no obstacles. Full Backup. I understand the work thats required.
    Its a good question Tactical. I would say that if the videographer asserts copyright from the start then they will own copyright.
    It would not be unreasonable for whomever makes the video to claim copyright in these circumstances.

Not sure how that works, you please explain further.. ? In anycase I'd like to ensure a deal that is totally fair to both parties. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭IPR_Iain

Kenny, can i listen to the track before expressing interest. please PM me details of where i can listen.

thanks

Cheers :) sent that to you there..

Any others want to take a look at this?? not having any luck so far.. both people interested so far liked the track a lot but decided not to go with it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dusterd

There are a couple of us that would be interested, TV and Media, I.T. Carlow.

If we could hear the track and hear your views on what you have in mind would be great.

good stuff... pm sent :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

dusterd wrote: »
    If we could hear the track and hear your views on what you have in mind would be great.
    Everyone that's listened to the song so far has gone MIA, I'm assuming they're dead and the song is some sort of musical version of the ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dusterd

No the track is not bad at all, In fact its quite good. If you request the link for it I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing it with you.

Kenny DNK wrote: »
    Thanks for the questions folks, I have more chance of someone working with us if these issues are addressed.
    What would you consider fair? Totally open to suggestions.

That would depend on what the videographer wants and will be either based on a standard rate from the videographer or may vary depending on the amount of creative input required, travel, edit time, region usage rights, genberal expenses incurred by the videographer.
    Depends, sure we could sort something.. wont let obstacles stand in the way..

Good and realistic attitude :) Negoation is always good.
    Not quite sure what you mean by this, but I reckon you mean getting permission to film in premises and rights to use footage of people then yep, as above, no obstacles. Full Backup. I understand the work thats required.

Yes, a release to use the image of the persons in the video and rights to use any property featured in the video. A legal document.

Lots and lots of work invloved in setting up even a fairly simple shoot, especially if multiple locations and persons involved.

Not sure how that works, you please explain further.. ? In anycase I'd like to ensure a deal that is totally fair to both parties. :D

Copyright is retained by the person who captures the image. The parties can agree to transfer copyright completely or license use of the material in a specifc way.

If copyright is transferred its usually for a one time fee and no royalties are then liable unless agreed at the time of transer.

If copyright is retained then royalties are due to the videographer. This generally means a set fee or percentage every time the video is viewed in the public or commercial arena. i.e on-line, broadcast usage, public performance usage or for marketing purposes.

To be honest it sounds like you require a producer rather than just a videographer as you seem to be asking videographers to have creative input. Unless that is you have a set idea of the end product you require. Even then its generally not the videographers job to organise the entire shoot. They will naturally have a list of requirements.

I'd be interested in listening to the track too :)

Thanks for all those points. much appreciated. I think I understand it a lot clearer now. :)

To be honest it sounds like you require a producer rather than just a videographer as you seem to be asking videographers to have creative input. Unless that is you have a set idea of the end product you require. Even then its generally not the videographers job to organise the entire shoot. They will naturally have a list of requirements.

I'd be interested in listening to the track too :)

Thanks especially for this, didnt occour to me at all.. you wouldnt ask your plasterer to lay your blocks.. think I can sort something there though..

I'll pm you on the track :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Why don"t you just put up a direct link to the track in this forum?

Thanks for all those points. much appreciated. I think I understand it a lot clearer now. :)

Thanks especially for this, didnt occour to me at all.. you wouldnt ask your plasterer to lay your blocks.. think I can sort something there though..

I'll pm you on the track :)

Thanks for that Kenny.

Also thanks especially for taking my input in the way it was meant. It can be hard to put things in writing on a forum in such a way that they are read as constructive rather than in a negative way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Kenny

I just done a video for someone local and to me you don't have much money to spend up front and at the same time you have cut out the one option any videographer would choose in doing your video.

IE: the band sitting around a room/studio singing the song to the backing track 3-4-5 times with the camera on all or one of you and then cutting a video to that.

That way he arrives to one location and that cuts down on a lot of hassle etc.

If you have dissmissed that option it seriously limits whoever is going to shoot it because as you can see there is a lot of red tape to go through.

Advertisement