Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming center

Options
  • 24-11-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hey,i was just wondering is their any place in galway city that lets you play xbox's and playstations..i rememeber there used to be a place but its closed down now..any help would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

There's a place down beside the couch station (just off Eyre Square) called Squareyes. Plenty of Playstations, Xboxs and PCs in there to keep you gaming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Theyre closing down :( the owner is trying to move into another place over on the west side but for the moment theres not going to be anywhere. Massive shame. I knew square eyes wasnt doing too good when they started selling off their pcs and equipment. Used to go in there all the time. Heres hoping they get moved into another location soon. I can only imagine the cost of overheads that close to the centre of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Aw, that's a damned shame. I love that place. Never used it much (due to the fact that I'm usually very broke), but any time I did, I had a blast in there. I hope all turns out well for them :(

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭-Vega-

Pretty sure they are just relocating due to water damage! Was packed when I was in there yesterday!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056447317

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Oh thats great news! Well not about them having to move but the fact they are relocatig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Bloc Party!

We went in last thursday and he said we needed to buy the games to play them? he also said they only have pc's with xbox controllers..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You can get a second hand xbox for about €150... How much does that place charge per hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

We went in last thursday and he said we needed to buy the games to play them? he also said they only have pc's with xbox controllers..

You don't have to buy all the games to play them, but more and more shooters like Call of Duty (since MW2 anyway) & Battlefield require you to have an online account and a copy of the game registered to your account to be able to play multiplayer at all - and one copy of the game cannot be registered to multiple accounts (it's a moneymaking thing, like why EA now want you to buy 10dollar online passes for their games if you buy a 2nd hand copy >:( ). There is currently no feasible way around this.
    It doesn't apply to 90% of the games, mainly the big 2 I just mentioned.

You don't have to buy all the games to play them, but more and more shooters like Call of Duty (since MW2 anyway) & Battlefield require you to have an online account and a copy of the game registered to your account to be able to play multiplayer at all - and one copy of the game cannot be registered to multiple accounts (it's a moneymaking thing, like why EA now want you to buy 10dollar online passes for their games if you buy a 2nd hand copy >:( ). There is currently no feasible way around this.
    It doesn't apply to 90% of the games, mainly the big 2 I just mentioned.

Cheers for your help..so is there xbox's? what other games are there?

Mainly pcs but all of them have xbox controllers plugged in aswell as keyboard and mouse!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Just PCs with xbox controllers attached : see the thread -Vega- linked to earlier for my speculation/reasoning on why the squareyes setup wouldn't work with consoles.
    As for other games: we literally have 100 or more so I can't list them all. Having said that - squareyes is in the middle of organising a move AND upgrading to windows 7, so numbers and availability of games will fluctuate over the next wee while as everything has to be reinstalled, patched, tested for conflicts and problems blah blah blah.
    Some of the older games, especially fps won't work with the controller (which never used to be a problem as most PC gamers preferred the faster mouse + keyboard), but demand must be high, as nearly all the newer games now have a controller preset in the options.

Just PCs with xbox controllers attached : see the thread -Vega- linked to earlier for my speculation/reasoning on why the squareyes setup wouldn't work with consoles.
    As for other games: we literally have 100 or more so I can't list them all. Having said that - squareyes is in the middle of organising a move AND upgrading to windows 7, so numbers and availability of games will fluctuate over the next wee while as everything has to be reinstalled, patched, tested for conflicts and problems blah blah blah.
    Some of the older games, especially fps won't work with the controller (which never used to be a problem as most PC gamers preferred the faster mouse + keyboard), but demand must be high, as nearly all the newer games now have a controller preset in the options.

Thanks for your help..do i need membership or do i need to pay much for an hour?

If you are paying for like an hour or two, its handy to have membership because you get a discount, membership is pretty cheap.

But they always have deals on, wouldn't normally post prices but seen as they are so low and have no competition it shouldn't matter :p

4 hours is currently a tenner, when you compare that to say the cinema which mite be 2 hours for a tenner, tis pretty daycent! Think u can get a day rate aswell pretty cheap!

-Vega- wrote: »
    If you are paying for like an hour or two, its handy to have membership because you get a discount, membership is pretty cheap.

But they always have deals on, wouldn't normally post prices but seen as they are so low and have no competition it shouldn't matter :p

4 hours is currently a tenner, when you compare that to say the cinema which mite be 2 hours for a tenner, tis pretty daycent! Think u can get a day rate aswell pretty cheap!

What recent games are there that i can play there? what do i say to the person if i want to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Eman Resu

Hello is not a bad place to start! Staff are very friendly and know their stuff. Not sure of the latest games available but they are all accessed through [ii]'s custom menu which has features such as age limits (so that parents can be assured their children only play games rated at a level they feel is suitable) and a "Cloudsave" option for most games that allows you to store your save game for lets say Skyrim on one machine and come in the next day and pull down your save onto whatever machine you like, a really handy feature for RPG/MMORPG or any single player game in general it even works with MW profiles etc.

Advertisement