Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religious Threads in After Hours

Options
  • 24-11-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭

Recently there seems to have been an increased amount of threads started in After Hours on the topic of religion. But I have to ask why any of these discussions are even allowed? There is a religion forum on Boards. Other topics such are sport and celebs are almost totally banned from AH with the OP's being usually told to take it to the correct forum.

So why not apply the same rule to religious topics? Also it seems that the majority of these threads taking a very negative view on religion. Is that why they are allowed?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Recently there seems to have been an increased amount of threads started in After Hours on the topic of religion. But I have to ask why any of these discussions are even allowed? There is a religion forum on Boards. Other topics such are sport and celebs are almost totally banned from AH with the OP's being usually told to take it to the correct forum.

So why not apply the same rule to religious topics? Also it seems that the majority of these threads taking a very negative view on religion. Is that why they are allowed?

Which is it you want? Less threads about religion in After Hours?

Or a greater number of positive threads about religion in After Hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Which is it you want?

How about a bit of consistency. Like I said sport, celeb, tv threads etc are locked but religious threads are left. Why isnt it the same rule for every topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

How about a bit of consistency. Like I said sport, celeb, tv threads etc are locked but religious threads are left. Why isnt it the same rule for every topic?

We allow x amout of discussion on different topics.

When the forum gets over run with a certain topic we close/move etc.

If we were to move every topic to a specific forum there wouldn't be anything posted in AH at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Another problem is, I think, is that the religious forum is crammed with total religious nutbars,:D especially some of the moderators, who are utterly intolerant of any view that expresses doubt about the existence of a sky fairy or amusement at the more absurd ideas that many believers harbour. Anyone who isn't of their bent is instantly ganged up on and will receive infractions or bans on the slightest pretext.:)

Better to have the odd religion-related theme discussed here and let the holy joes learn that there are parts of the universe where they have to be exposed to views they can't shut down or silence.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

(Cancelled) accidental double post. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Recently there seems to have been an increased amount of threads started in After Hours on the topic of religion.

There seems to be no more than usual.
    I've always seen a thread or two on different aspects of religion or the lack there of.
    AH is there to discuss a bit of everything.
    Also it seems that the majority of these threads taking a very negative view on religion

Is there a law against that?
    People are free to knock religion if they wish.

We allow x amout of discussion on different topics.

When the forum gets over run with a certain topic we close/move etc.

If we were to move every topic to a specific forum there wouldn't be anything posted in AH at all.

So whats the limit on religious threads? I've seen plenty of sports threads locked and the message from the Mod was "take it to the sport forum". I've never seen them say "We're locking this as there is already a few sports discussions ongoing in AH". Maybe Im wrong? As I've said there just seems to be a complete lack of consistency.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,712 ✭✭✭✭Penn

So whats the limit on religious threads? I've seen plenty of sports threads locked and the message from the Mod was "take it to the sport forum". I've never seen them say "We're locking this as there is already a few sports discussions ongoing in AH". Maybe Im wrong? As I've said there just seems to be a complete lack of consistency.

It's not a binding rule though. Discretion of the moderator. Mods can decide what threads stay and what ones are moved.

For example, if there's a religion thread where it's felt that most people will be very negative towards the religion, it probably shouldn't be moved to that religion's forum because that forum has different rules which may result in a large number of people being banned and could upset the people who use that forum regularly etc. Inversely, a thread being positive about the religion should maybe be moved to that religion's forum where other people likely share the same viewpoint and typical AH responses won't ruin that thread.

It's up to the mods to make a judgement call as they see fit, that's why they were chosen as mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

They're atheist threads disguised as religious threads, nothing more. Go through most "religious" threads in AH and they descend into "religion is stupid and so are people for believing it"

Penn wrote: »
    It's not a binding rule though. Discretion of the moderator. Mods can decide what threads stay and what ones are moved.

For example, if there's a religion thread where it's felt that most people will be very negative towards the religion, it probably shouldn't be moved to that religion's forum because that forum has different rules which may result in a large number of people being banned and could upset the people who use that forum regularly etc. Inversely, a thread being positive about the religion should maybe be moved to that religion's forum where other people likely share the same viewpoint and typical AH responses won't ruin that thread.

It's up to the mods to make a judgement call as they see fit, that's why they were chosen as mods.

Again this is showing a lack of consistency. Just look through Feedback. People have asked before why threads are locked rather than moving them to the correct forum and the AH mods always come in with the answer that the post may be against the other forums charter and could result in people being banned.

For example there was a Ronaldo thread started in AH today. Even though AH isnt "over run" with sports thread it was still locked. Not moved. But I rarely see this kind of thing happen to religious threads. And Im wondering why because I still dont think I've been given a satisfactory answer.

• Advertisement

Again this is showing a lack of consistency. Just look through Feedback. People have asked before why threads are locked rather than moving them to the correct forum and the AH mods always come in with the answer that the post may be against the other forums charter and could result in people being banned.

For example there was a Ronaldo thread started in AH today. Even though AH isnt "over run" with sports thread it was still locked. Not moved. But I rarely see this kind of thing happen to religious threads. And Im wondering why because I still dont think I've been given a satisfactory answer.

A lot more people will have an opinion about religion than they would about Ronaldo.

A lot more people will have an opinion about religion than they would about Ronaldo.

Comparing the Ronaldo thread to religion as a whole is a bit ridiculous. If you want to compare the two then why not compare religion to sport or the Ronaldo thread to the Cardinal Sean Brady thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Desire2

Another feedback thread that is only responded to by Mods.
    before anybody suggests it, YES i am a Re-reg but not one who was banned.
    The OP is worthy of discussion IMO.
    Modding cannot be easy but feedback often appears as Boards going on the offensive towards registered posters more than a willingness to consider their opinion.
    it scares off people who are afraid they might be seen as a troublemaker for posting feedback and will be held against them.

Should'nt feedback be treated as how people perceive boards and modding of it ,rather than an attack?

*ROLFcopter my apologies i tainted you as a Mod ;)

Comparing the Ronaldo thread to religion as a whole is a bit ridiculous. If you want to compare the two then why not compare religion to sport or the Ronaldo thread to the Cardinal Sean Brady thread.

I'm only using the examples you used in the first place.
    Desire2 wrote: »
    Another feedback thread that is only responded to by Mods.
    before anybody suggests it, YES i am a Re-reg but not one who was banned.
    The OP is worthy of discussion IMO.
    Modding cannot be easy but feedback often appears as Boards going on the offensive towards registered posters more than a willingness to consider their opinion.
    it scares off people who are afraid they might be seen as a troublemaker for posting feedback and will be held against them.

Should'nt feedback be treated as how people perceive boards and modding of it ,rather than an attack?

The thread is about the forum i moderate so why shouldn't i respond to it?

Nobody is stopping the op from having or voicing his opinion.

You're right, modding is not easy, and its made a lot harder when you read posts like yours.

I'm only using the examples you used in the first place.

Actually in my original post I used the example of sport/celeb threads when comparing to religion. It was only in a later post that I used the Ronaldo example because I was struggling to get an answer (which I still am).

You're right, modding is not easy, and its made a lot harder when you read posts like yours.

A personal attack?
    look mods must at least meet the standards they impose on others,otherwise there will always be tension.
    The OP made a valid point,there was no need to circle the wagons.

Actually in my original post I used the example of sport/celeb threads when comparing to religion. It was only in a later post that I used the Ronaldo example because I was struggling to get an answer (which I still am).

You've been given answers but your peoblem seems to be mainly down to these threads being negative towards religion. If you don't like it then don't read it. People are entitled to give their opinions both good and bad as long as they stay within in the rules of the forum.
    A personal attack?
    look mods must at least meet the standards they impose on others,otherwise there will always be tension.
    The OP made a valid point,there was no need to circle the wagons.

So who is supposed to answer the questions the op has to ask?

Who circled the wagons?

Take off the tinfoil hat.

So who is supposed to answer the questions the op has to ask?
    Anybody with a reasonable opinion.
    Who circled the wagons?

People with any form of mod after their name as so often happens in feedback
    Take off the tinfoil hat.

Now is that a worthy answer from a Mod?.
    i have made it clear that i know it is not easy to mod,but if i had suggested that your answers were based on a Tin foil hat i have no doubt i would have had an infraction by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Anybody with a reasonable opinion.
    Don't you mean an opinion the same as yours?

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Don't you mean an opinion the same as yours?

No El Weirdo it would be a very boring site if we all agreed on everything!:)

• Advertisement

You've been given answers but your peoblem seems to be mainly down to these threads being negative towards religion. If you don't like it then don't read it. People are entitled to give their opinions both good and bad as long as they stay within in the rules of the forum.

No, it had nothing to to with negative threads. I think I made that clear in my follow up posts. I just want to know what the limit on religious threads? As I've already said I've seen plenty of sports threads locked and the message from the Mod was "take it to the sport forum". I've never seen them say "We're locking this as there is already a few sports discussions ongoing in AH". Maybe Im wrong? This question is what I was hoping you'd answer.

Maybe Im wrong?

In my experience you are not wrong when it comes to expecting an unbiased answer in feedback.
    loads of questions are treated like you were hell bent on attacking Boards or Mods.
    Some Mods treat feedback as a place they can attack a poster and be sure of back-up by fellow mods.

To be fair many do not though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

See the thing is that religion threads always go the same way. Say somebody starts a thread about Jesus it goes from talking about Jesus to arguments over beliefs. A discussion is fine, albeit if you're trying to debate somebody about religion there is no winner, but eventually it turns into the usual "Those Children should grow up and stop believing in their stupid imaginary God". Now I know religion is something a majority of people have strong feelings of but it seems a bit sad that when people like me (or to reverse say an atheist is being mocked) are told to stop believing what we believe even though I've never forced my religion on somebody. It's basically bannings and a lock waiting to happen.

I just want to know what the limit on religious threads?

How long is a piece of string?
    What are you looking for here Brendan?
    Do you want us to tell the Mods of AH that they can only have one thread per week?
    What if the thread from last week is still going, then we have two. Do they wait until people stop posting in the first one before another one is allowed to be set up?
    Sorry Brendan, it is unacceptable to ask the AH Mods to work within such a tight framework.

The Mods of AH are picked because they know how AH works and are trusted by the Admins of this site to run the forum as they see best for the majority who use it regularly.

If you do not like the threads on religion in that forum, just don't read them.
    Considering that most of those threads get a lot of posts, one would have to assume that the majority have something to say on the subject.
    They wouldn't be set up if people weren't interested in discussing the subject.
    At the end of the day, that's what AH is for.

Beruthiel wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string?
    What are you looking for here Brendan?
    Do you want us to tell the Mods of AH that they can only have one thread per week?
    What if the thread from last week is still going, then we have two. Do they wait until people stop posting in the first one before another one is allowed to be set up?
    Sorry Brendan, it is unacceptable to ask the AH Mods to work within such a tight framework.

The Mods of AH are picked because they know how AH works and are trusted by the Admins of this site to run the forum as they see best for the majority who use it regularly.

If you do not like the threads on religion in that forum, just don't read them.
    Considering that most of those threads get a lot of posts, one would have to assume that the majority have something to say on the subject.
    They wouldn't be set up if people weren't interested in discussing the subject.
    At the end of the day, that's what AH is for.

You might want to re-read this thread because it was an AH Mod who said that when the forum becomes over run on certain topics they start locking threads. So obviously you'd expect they'd have some way of gauging this. However I think they reply from the Mod was just an attempt to shut me up.

I've asked for better clarification but rather than do that he just seemed to reply to minor things I mentioned in my posts. As I've said, what is the limit on sport topics for example? If I go into AH today and start a thread on the Carlos Tevez saga will it be left open as there seems to be no other sports discussions going on at the moment in AH?

You might want to re-read this thread because it was an AH Mod who said that when the forum becomes over run on certain topics they start locking threads.

So, Mod discretion.
    I've asked for better clarification

It is a fluid thing and there will be no further clarification than what I gave you above.
    Again, it is Mod discretion.
    As I've said, what is the limit on sport topics for example?

As above, Mod discretion.

Can you tell me Brendan, what is it you are looking for here?

I get the feeling that you are not so much bothered about religious threads in AH as you are about religion in general getting bashed.
    If it is because of that, then I will suggest again that you just don't read them.

Religion is discussed on this site.
    If you want the polite discussion, we have specific forums for that.
    But, we will not be ignoring the fact that an awful lot of people now have no time for religion whatsoever and they also get to have a voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I've asked for better clarification but rather than do that he just seemed to reply to minor things I mentioned in my posts. As I've said, what is the limit on sport topics for example? If I go into AH today and start a thread on the Carlos Tevez saga will it be left open as there seems to be no other sports discussions going on at the moment in AH?

This may have not been the best example to use as Soccer on Boards has a bit of a history of causing problems

This is why the Soccer forum requires people to request access and be vetted in order to post in it as the nature of Soccer leads to tribalism and people getting a bit wound up

So due to the nature of the set up of the Soccer forum most soccer based thread outside of the Soccer forum get shut down, exceptions have been made in AH for big events like the Henry handball and possibly going forward discussion will be allowed on Major Tournaments (this is up to the Mods to decide)

But there are no hard and fast rules around any of this so as Beruthial as pointed out if you are looking for clarification there probably isn't any more that can be clarified, it is up to the Mods to take stock of the mood/direction of the forum and decide what should and shouldn't be allowed

believe it or not most things on this site work better when the rules are a bit vague and the people trusted to enforce them are allowed to use their own common sense, there are plenty of recent examples in this forum of instances where rules have had to be applied where common sense would be prefferable but you will always have people arguing over which is better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    Another problem is, I think, is that the religious forum is crammed with total religious nutbars,:D especially some of the moderators, who are utterly intolerant of any view that expresses doubt about the existence of a sky fairy or amusement at the more absurd ideas that many believers harbour. Anyone who isn't of their bent is instantly ganged up on and will receive infractions or bans on the slightest pretext.:)

Better to have the odd religion-related theme discussed here and let the holy joes learn that there are parts of the universe where they have to be exposed to views they can't shut down or silence.:eek:

Getting a bit off-topic here but I disagree.

The mods are pretty reasonable when you consider that the forum is for discussions about Christianity. If anyone could intervene in every discussion and say something like "well that's a load of bs because there is no god", the discussions would be ruined for those involved. For those arguments, the mods there have provided a superthread to discuss the absense/existence of God.

Don't forget as well that quite a few atheists post there, myself included. Zombrex posts there all the time (and if you feel like losing the will to live, check out any of his discussions with Philologos). The mods have no problem with atheists and most atheists have no problem with the mods either.

Admittedly, you do get the odd nutter but the mods ban them if they go too far with their bigotry. I've seen it happen fairly often with misbehaving Catholics. The mods don't tolerate abuse and they are quite even-handed and patient in carrying out their duties.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't believe in any of that God nonsense but I do like that forum and I don't think you were being fair in your description of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Brendan Flowers seems to be a person of conviction. Agree with him or not, I admire the fact that he has put time and energy into what he feels strongly about. And I do think has a point. What's the old saying about Sex, Religion and Politics..............at least we can talk about them nowadays lets keep them to their own homes where people who are interested can carry on respectful discussion.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Advertisement