Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Public Flogging…..should we bring it back?.

• 24-11-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

For certain crimes?.Would it be a useful deterrent?.

I know for different crimes we have a range of punishments ….prison sentences , community service, fines, tagging etc. Also that countries using it as a punishment are considered uncivilised.
    Would this type of shock punishment be the best deterrent for criminals starting out on their life of crime, or is it considered too barbaric / backward in the 21st century.
    What about wife beaters or people that attack the elderly. Do you feel that there are any crimes that justify bringing it back.

Should we bring back flogging? 48 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No ......its Barbaric
    54% 26 votes
    Flog my chimp
    45% 22 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

In before someone suggests flogging Bertie

On a serious note though, not terrible idea and a backward step. What's next losing a hand for stealing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

For certain crimes?.Would it be a useful deterrent?.

I know for different crimes we have a range of punishments ….prison sentences , community service, fines, tagging etc. Also that countries using it as a punishment are considered uncivilised.
    Would this type of shock punishment be the best deterrent for criminals starting out on their life of crime, or is it considered too barbaric / backward in the 21st century.
    What about wife beaters or people that attack the elderly. Do you feel that there are any crimes that justify bringing it back.

It didn't work before, why would it work now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Open up Croker or Lansdowne.

Get someone like Marty Whelan or Derek Mooney to introduce the culprit.

"..this is Anto, he assaulted Jim McSweeney on the night of......"

50 Lashes in the middle of the Pitch.

Make tickets available on Ticketmaster.

It might get people spending again.

The culprits may choose their own entry music a la WWE as a bit of decency!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

huzza, lets rout out those pesky catholics aswell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Ooooh, strap me in and flog me all day baby. <crack> THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER? <crack> MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

chin_grin wrote: »
    Ooooh, strap me in and flog me all day baby. <crack> THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER? <crack> MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
    this is quite disturbing:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Let's just cut through the bullshit and copy the Saudi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. I think though given the choice between wasting 2 years in jail and taking a flogging. I'd go for the flogging, I'd be well healed by the time my sentence is up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Is there where members of the public throw flogs at you? If so then yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

frogs might be better..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Public stocks with rotten tomatoes would be grand.

Bertie goes first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

It's more an English thing than an Irish one. Must have something to do with the public school tradition over there and all those schoolboys who enjoyed having their arses flogged and otherwise "dealt with" before they grew up and became Tory leaders.;)

There was an article about it having become a growth industry in the Independent a while back. Personally, I think the idea of longing for punishment at the hands of a really nasty bitch is taking Thatcher nostalgia a bit far.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/fantasies-fetishes/unleashed-the-secret-world-of-britains-dominatrixes-6263209.html

And not even the British would allow this kind of thing to be done in public.

And the EU and the international conventions that Ireland has voluntarily joined would not allow it to be used as a court-imposed punishment.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I love After Hours. This past week alone I've discussed giving chimps human rights, everyone filing for bankruptcy at once and now public flogging. It's like being in the Dail. I'm sure they're discussing all these things there now :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Don't think so...

TinyUrl mothaf*cka do you use it? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭lastlaugh

If it was called 'Public Spanking for being very naughty' it might be more acceptable all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Only in AH could "yes" be winning. :eek: :D

I don't think we should, btw. Stupid idea. It's proven time and time again not to be a deterrent, is hypocritical of a supposedly fair and equitable judicial system, is more about satisfying the public's baser urges than justice.

Besides all that, it lacks pizzazz. I propose this! Those people knew how to put on a show.

Millicent wrote: »
    Only in AH could "yes" be winning. :eek: :D

I don't think we should, btw. Stupid idea. It's proven time and time again not to be a deterrent, is hypocritical of a supposedly fair and equitable judicial system, is more about satisfying the public's baser urges than justice.

Besides all that, it lacks pizzazz. I propose this! Those people knew how to put on a show.

no way....before we know it, there would a religion or something formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭ojola

All for it and let us start with Cllr. Scully the former mayor of Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

mattjack wrote: »
    no way....before we know it, there would a religion or something formed.

Nah, we just need to make sure to stock up on lions. Lousy Romans didn't plan far enough ahead. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm going to assume this is what the OP means. It'd be pretty great as a reward for upstanding citizens. And for criminals, you put the flogs in a Slush Puppy until they go hard and force them to drink the lot, giving them horrific brain freeze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

http://www.corpun.com/manx.htm

A little birching is good for the soul....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

Just like jail public flogging wont work, it will just give them more ideas take for example sex offenders, them will end up just getting into the whole whipping their victims thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Ridiculous idea, there's no way it wouls act as a deterrent. Most people would rather get a whipping than spend a number of months in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Ridiculous idea, there's no way it wouls act as a deterrent. Most people would rather get a whipping than spend a number of months in jail.

I definitely wouldn't :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Ohhh they really should I have paid a fortune over the years to be flogged for been a very bold boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

moco wrote: »
    I definitely wouldn't :eek:

I reckon the knackers would see it as a badge of honour. Wouldn't deter the hardened criminal at all.

Might deter white collar criminals, fraud etc ..but for violent assault and repeat drug offenders wouldn't be put off be at.

could I pick who whips me...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Give them both, a beating and then a spell in the gaol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

Ellis Dee wrote: »
    It's more an English thing than an Irish one. Must have something to do with the public school tradition over there and all those schoolboys who enjoyed having their arses flogged and otherwise "dealt with" before they grew up and became Tory leaders.;)

There was an article about it having become a growth industry in the Independent a while back. Personally, I think the idea of longing for punishment at the hands of a really nasty bitch is taking Thatcher nostalgia a bit far.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/fantasies-fetishes/unleashed-the-secret-world-of-britains-dominatrixes-6263209.html

And not even the British would allow this kind of thing to be done in public.

And the EU and the international conventions that Ireland has voluntarily joined would not allow it to be used as a court-imposed punishment.:)
    yes,it is indeed true david cameron was caned on a regular basis in his youth- http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/yes-i-took-drugs-says-cameron-435954.html

though as a dual national,am one of the sadists who woud allow public flogging to happen assuming its gone through the courts and its their choice,not the crims.

woud reserve it for crims who dont get jailed for a crime-to make them associate bad feelings with doing criminal acts.
    woud publicaly flog all animal abusers/murderers,and then jail their asses,give them training about how to look after animals and CBT then when they get out,they woud have to do community service in animal sanctuaries,acting as a helper to staff so they can be properly supervised-as all this will give them some idea of the damage people like they cause.

-woud also publicaly flog abusers and paedos of children and other vulnerable groups,chemicaly castrate the paedophiles,jail em all,training and CBT.
    on all these crims,woud use an EEG controled electric shock device so everytime they get impulses to do the things theyre in jail for they will get an electric shock.

Advertisement