Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical requirements for PDF

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

sorry mate, i think you're screwed.

i think that even if you were able to demonstrate that the condition didn't effect your eyesight and would not degenerate, in the current recruiting/economic climate you'd stand no chance at all of being accepted - when Armies have 30 or so high quality candidates (never mind the dross) for every place they can offer, they're never going to take a candidate with medical baggage even if technically that condition isn't a barrier to service.

i'm really sorry, and i hope you find something just as rewarding to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

to maybe memories, I would suggest you get a medical opinion on your condition, preferably from a doctor who has some knowledge of the DF medical requirements rather than asking here and looking on wikipedia which is not always accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭amurph0

Does anyone know where to find a list of the medical conditions that exclude you from entry to the PDF?

Also, I have this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_fourth_nerve_palsy
    Am I pretty much ****ed in terms of being allowed to enlist?

You could always ask the manpower office. They may not know the answer themselves but they might go and get clarification from a medical officer and get back to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Why does the PDF not accept eyesight standards reached with laser eye surgery???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

eyescreamcone Why does the PDF not accept eyesight standards reached with laser eye surgery???

Not an offical answer but I am aware the laser surgery can introduce other problems like not being able to see at night

As said before, they have so many to choose from the PDF can afford to pick and choose. In other countries the same medical issues would not be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Why does the PDF not accept eyesight standards reached with laser eye surgery???

Who knows, but it's a fairly common policy. The Brits won't accept it and the yanks will only accept PRK and LASIK, and even then a waiver is needed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

I thought the yanks paid for the operation to be done??

If it's good enough for Tiger Woods eyes then its good enough for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The Brits certainly have no issue with surgical correction. Wait and see published requirements with any new recruiting drive. The policy's been under review an long time.

Advertisement