Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you do?

• 24-11-2011 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

OK, I need hearing aids for both ears. I am on the waiting list to see the community Audiologist to have them prescribed, but that waiting list is 2 years! Would you wait and hope for a cancellation, or, would you see a private Audiologist and pay €€€€ for them? I am entitled to the €750 per aid grant, which would make them a little cheaper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well mine (one) cost me €800 plus the €750 grant. For that I have had excellent 'walk-in' service, and a top of the range aid.

It depends on your circumstances of course, you know what you can afford, and how urgent it is to you, but I would personally give up something else to get it sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Thanks for the reply Looksee, the problem is, i don't have anything else that costs me anything, to give up. It is pretty important to me to have them as soon as i can, as it is affecting my ability to find work. Its also affecting my home life as i find it hard to hold a decent conversation with my partner.

I think i could afford about €1000 on top of the €1500 grant i would get for both aids. I don't know what type of aids i could get for €2500, if any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

for both aids costing 1250 you would get a pretty good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Are the aids digital or analogue? Digital are exceptional compared to analogue I found.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The grant is half the price of the aid up to a max of €760

So if you have €1000 of your own money to spend, the max grant you are entitled to is €1000 (500 per aid)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies....I'm in with the Audiologist in DeafHear on Thursday to talk about my options with a view to buying a set of aids from them. Even if it turns out that i can only afford one at the time, that's still better than non. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Can I suggest that you maybe talk to a couple of different firms. There are all sorts of things to consider when you are spending that kind of money, and the initial consultation doesn't cost you anything. Its only when you have spoken to a few different people you begin to get a feel of what is available.

They are there to provide a service, but they are also there to sell hearing aids, so you need to know a bit about what each can offer, sane as you would not buy the first tv or washing machine you were offered :D

Ask about follow up services, cost of batteries, availablility of insurance as well.

Thanks for the advise Looksee.. I've been too a few places already and made enquiries, and DeafHear are the cheapest by a long shot. They also don't push the sale of hearing aids like, say, Hidden Hearing would. By buying them from them, i would also be giving something back to the charity. I was asking about the follow up service while i was at the meeting tonight, and it all sounds pretty good. They do provide a walk in service, and a 30 day free trial of the aids. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Deafhear are the cheapest and the offer a better service! Like the one above said, they don't push you for sales! It's a not for profit organisation!

Deafhear are the cheapest and the offer a better service! Like the one above said, they don't push you for sales! It's a not for profit organisation!

I wouldn't agree with the above post.
    I would definitely recommend shopping around.

Grants have been reduced in the budget to a maximum of €500 per aid allowable every 4 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 xxpipxx

Mod: ad removed

Thanks for the reply Pip. :) I actually already sorted the new hearing aids, but i will certainly keep the name and number handy for future reference. :) Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I've been to an Audiologist and need to get one hearing aid, I'd like to get a good one, would I still be able to get the grant. need it ASAP.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I've been to an Audiologist and need to get one hearing aid, I'd like to get a good one, would I still be able to get the grant. need it ASAP.

If you qualify and your application is received before Jan 1 you would be entitled to a max grant of 760.
    After Jan 1 it drops to 500.
    Get your skates on.
    All good audiologists should have the necessary forms

Advertisement