Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Road shoes -adventure race

Options
  • 24-11-2011 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi
    I have started to train for my first adventure race and i wondered what sort of shoes people have found best to wear?
    Are my normal road running shoes suitable for cycling as well as off road?
    I seem to think they wouldn't be as supportive for all three but is there footwear that suits all three? They okay probably for cycling but the various surfaces you would encounter in off road kind of got me wondering?

Sorry if it seems like simple question but any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Foxytrot wrote: »
    Hi
    I have started to train for my first adventure race and i wondered what sort of shoes people have found best to wear?
    Are my normal road running shoes suitable for cycling as well as off road?
    I seem to think they wouldn't be as supportive for all three but is there footwear that suits all three? They okay probably for cycling but the various surfaces you would encounter in off road kind of got me wondering?

Sorry if it seems like simple question but any thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks

What race is it?

Every race is different, some you will get away with regular road shoes, others you wont.

For the majority of races out there you would need a shoe that is good on a wide variety of terrain including road, fireroad rocks and mud. , something like a columbia ravenous, saloman speedcross. For other races (like Achill Roar) where the full run is off road you could go for a more off road aggressive offroad shoe like Innov8 roclites or X-Talons

You should also consider what shoes you will be biking in, if your planning biking in your trail shoes with toe clips and straps some shoes have a much larger toe box than others and can be harder to bike in.

Edit - Most important factor is comfort and fit, if the running section is longer you might consider something with a little extra cushioning

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I wore a pair of xc shoes that were very similar in fit to the road shoes I always wear, just gave me an extra bit of grip that was my only real consideration with them, Im not fast enough on hills to really worry about types of xc shoe! (Still managed to go AOT on a descent even with the grippy shoes tho) Some people do change to cleats for the bike sections, but toe clips are handy, and mean you arent carrying shoes with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Foxytrot

It is mainly bike but then there is a 10km road and also a 14km off road on mainly grass and mud (Looks like its through some fields no particular public route).

Think i will look into the ones that provide a wide variety. Thanks so much for your advice.

Thansk Oryx it was the grip etc that i was mainly worried about. Time wouldn't be my main concern on this first one :-)
    Will check out the xc shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Foxytrot wrote: »
    It is mainly bike but then there is a 10km road and also a 14km off road on mainly grass and mud (Looks like its through some fields no particular public route).

Think i will look into the ones that provide a wide variety. Thanks so much for your advice.
    Whats the name of the race? People that have raced it before can give you some proper info instead of whats in the race BUMF

• Advertisement

Whats the name of the race? People that have raced it before can give you some proper info instead of whats in the race BUMF

Its was run for the first time last year but they have since moved it and changed the format again this year? Its the horseman race in Kilmallock, Limerick. Its on in April next year.

Advertisement