Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple Chicken Curry - Recipe needed!

Options
  • 24-11-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Need a simple curry recipe!

Something to this effect...

Stock cube, curry powder, chicken....

Any help would be good!

Thanks a mill!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you checked out the Easy Peasy Recipes thread or even used the Search function?

A search of 'simply curry' throws up this thread which may help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Ingredients....

Chicken breasts

Patak's curry sauce (various flavours available)

Recipe:
    Fry the chicken breasts briefly on both sides on a hot pan or wok. Then take them out of the pan and dice them (theyre easier to dice when fried lightly).

Back into the pan/wok with them until they are lightly browned.

Lash in the Patak's sauce...leave the heat alone until the sauce starts to simmer, then turn down the heat and allow to simmer, stirring regularly for about 20-25 minutes.

There are instructions on the jar, but thats the gist of it.

You can add a diced onion while browning the chicken, riight at the end..which will soak up any juices...and give a little more oomph. Dont be afraid to throw in anything else that you might have around....a few raisins is nice....a mashed banana (surprise surprise) is surprisingly nice in a curry...especially if it's a bit runny ;-)

Experiment!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tribalwings

Packet of McDonald's curry, just add water. Fry chicken, throw together.

Another lazy option, packet of oxtail soup, 3tsp Tesco curry powder, 1/4tsp mixed spice. Fry chicken, throw together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i made this recipe for my son recently so he could make a simple decent curry that tastes great...

Indian curry

2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
    ½” knob of ginger finely chopped
    2-3 chopped onions
    2/3 tsp salt
    500ml chicken stock
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp coriander powder
    ½ tsp garam masala
    ½ tsp chilli powder
    2 tomatoes
    1.5 tbs tomato puree
    2tsp lemon juice or white wine vinegar
    1tbs fenugreek leaves
    2tbs chopped coriander leaf

Heat 4tbs oil in a pan with high sides. Add the ginger, garlic and fry for a minute. Add the onions and salt, sauté for 5 mins. Add the stock and then all the remaining ingredients except the fenugreek, lemon juice, tomato puree and coriander leaf. Bring to the boil and simmer for 30 mins. Remove the chicken and blend with a hand blender. Add the fenugreek, lemon juice, tomato puree and coriander leaf, bring to the boil and simmer for 2mins.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What my family call my "Irish mammy's curry":

4 boneless chicken breasts (one per person), cut into cubes
    3-4 medium onions
    1 Large carrot or 1 red or yellow pepper, sliced
    1-2 Cloves of garlic, crushed
    1 dessertspoon of flour
    3 tablespoons of medium curry powder
    1 pint of hot water
    1 chicken stock cube
    1 Tablespoon of mango chutney
    1 Tablespoon of lemon juice
    1 Tablespoon of tomato purée
    Oil for frying
    Fry the onion and carrot or pepper in oil over a low heat until soft. Add the garlic and fry for a minute, then turn up the heat and add the chicken and fry until sealed.
    Turn the heat down low and add the curry powder, cook for a few minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and stir until it’s absorbed. Then add the stock and stir well. Add the chutney, tomato puree and lemon juice and bring back to the boil. Simmer for around ½ hour. If it reduces too much, add some hot water, if it’s too thin turn up the heat and it will reduce.
    Serve with a dollop of mango chutney on the side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

I was wondering when you would weigh in with that one Dizzyblonde! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭trashcan

OK - Here's my version.

2 Onions
    2/3 Garlic cloves - depending on size.
    Chicken Breasts (2/4 Depending on how many you're feeding)
    Handful of coriander seeds
    Some cumin seeds
    Garam Masala
    Turmeric
    Pataks Curry Paste (Not sauce) (Rogan Josh or Balti are nice.)
    Creamed coconut
    Cauliflower (Break the florets into small pieces)
    Tin of Chickpeas
    1 Chilli (Optional, if you like it hot)

Dice one of the onions very finely and fry in some oil until golden. Slice the other onions in larger chunks and add when the smaller onion is brown. Bash the seeds in a pestle and mortar, then add in the garlic and some salt and pound into a paste. Add this to the pot, followed 3/4 tablespoons of the curry paste. (I never measure, just add what looks right and taste. The add the coconut. Then add in the chickpeas and cauliflower. Use the water from the tin of chickpeas and add more if needed to make a nice sauce. You'll need to leave this fro at least 25 minutes, but if you have time the longer you leave it the nicer it will be. I never cook the chicken first, I add it in just 6/7 minutes before the end, so it's nice and tender. If it's a hot curry which needs taming I sometimes add milk.

And there you have it. You can vary it too. Use butterbeans instead of chicken for a vegetarian option. Or sometimes I might use carrots or mushrooms. Fresh coriander if you have it is lovely too. If not the seeds or dried leaf is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Hhhmmmmm depends on your cooking interest me thinks.
    If you really want a good curry recipe and are willing to get the ingredients ( some will keep for many curries to some )

Basic -

Ckn Plus look for packet of green beans, long baby corn and onions and peas
    Veggie - onions, sweet potato, chickpeas, etc

Garlic,
    Chillis,
    Ginger
    Basil
    Corriander

Add fresh ingredients.

Add curry paste .. Green/ red / yello and 2 tins of coconut milk

If Indian, add curry paste with a tin of tomatoes and tin of coconut milk

Add curry paste ... If Thai paste add 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I was wondering when you would weigh in with that one Dizzyblonde! :pac:

Haha, I couldn't resist! Everyone who tries it loves it - there are some who particularly like it with chipper chips and onion rings.... :)

Advertisement