Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMA FOOD FOR HUNGRY BABIES

• 24-11-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

hey guys just wondering if anyone has any experience of changing to the hungry food at 5 weeks , my little one is now taking up to 7 oz of sma and a lot of the time wont settle / sleep and after an hour or two is looking for more milk ,and he is puking a good bit back up aswell they just seem to ba starving all the time. ive spoken to the phn and she reckons to leave it and see hoew it goes as the hungry food can cause colic / constipation but tbh i feel that 7 oz and then maybe another 4 two hours later is too much for the babies little tummy .. any advise from parents who have been here much appreciated ! PLEASE

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

hey guys just wondering if anyone has any experience of changing to the hungry food at 5 weeks , my little one is now taking up to 7 oz of sma and a lot of the time wont settle / sleep and after an hour or two is looking for more milk ,and he is puking a good bit back up aswell they just seem to ba starving all the time. ive spoken to the phn and she reckons to leave it and see hoew it goes as the hungry food can cause colic / constipation but tbh i feel that 7 oz and then maybe another 4 two hours later is too much for the babies little tummy .. any advise from parents who have been here much appreciated ! PLEASE

Little babies bring back up their milk no matter how much they get, if it were too much for him he wouldn't eat it. I would follow the PHN's advice honestly, but there's no harm in getting a second opinion from your GP if you're worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I put my twins onto the aptimal hungry baby at about 7 weeks.
    They were hungrier but still not able to deal with the volume of the first milk and would keep drinking and then throw it back up when in general they werent pukey babies.
    Hungrier formula certainly solved problem in my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Is it possible the baby has reflux and you're mistaking it for hunger?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

my daughter had reflux pretty bad as a baby and i dont remember her behaving the way he is, for an example i fed him this morning at 1. am he got 6 oz got his wind up easily as he always does and fell asleep. at 2 am he got sick and woke up , he didnt go back asleep and was acting very unsettled he didnt go back asleep till i fed him again around 4 am and this time he took 7 oz gulped it down so he was obviously starving got wind up and a good puke and fell back asleep again until 6 am then its the same thing he wakes and nothing will settle him until hes fed again. as far as im concerened this volume of milk is too much for his tummy . The Phn also told me you cant over feed a baby as they will puke up the excess milk they dont need.. ill go back to the phn next week again and see what she thinks as the poor little chap just cant settle atall and im sure he needs alot more sleep than what he is getting ! as does mama !!

Seems like he's puking because there may be acid coming back up the wind pipe, it may explain the unsettledness too...

Would you try raising the top of the cot with books under the feet? Could stop anything coming back up...

• Advertisement

sorry for the delay in getting back!! anyway he is now on the hungry food a week (after PHN advice) and too be honest it has stopped him acting ravenous all the time but he is still so unsettled at night hes taking a bottle now falling asleep and after an hour he is waking up and nothing will calm him until i give him more milk , have tried everything you guys sugested and no joy im afraid , January when you say about the acid coming up his wind pipe do you think this could be waking him back up even if there is no sick?? i dont really no what to do as now his feeding is all over the place!!

Yes, it's called silent reflux as in there's no signs of it but it would be causing him to wake, I suggest a trip to the GP as they can diagnose it and give you something to help with it.

Thanks January

Advertisement