Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise - Getting laptop for my mam

• 24-11-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

All my mam recently started a computer class and I would like to get her a cheap laptop for christmas.

All she will use on the laptop is email and skpye.

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I'm throwing this Laptop up in 3 Threads here with no response as of yet.

It's €455 delivered, it has the newer type i3 Processor (so it'll be decent performer for a good few years to come) 4GB RAM (Loads, It'll make the Lappie nice and snappy, no waiting for stuff to open or switching to something else), only integrated graphics but it'll do fine for High Def Video, it reads all the common Memory Cards and has a HDMI port.

It may be more than ye guys want but it's future proofed a nice bit and won't be a slow headwrecker.

Shout back if it doesn't suit and if I get a chance/someone will throw up a cheaper one....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I've been looking at the link you posted - cheers for that! I'm looking for something similar for me Da, but if I could get something similar for a few quid cheaper...

If you see anything like that, could you post the link?

Thanks a mill!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

For a few €'s cheaper
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11199865/art/lenovo/ideapad-z570.html

Same spec as the above laptop, good brand a solid choice for those looking for a good cheap laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    For a few €'s cheaper
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11199865/art/lenovo/ideapad-z570.html

Same spec as the above laptop, good brand a solid choice for those looking for a good cheap laptop.

What would would the story be with warranty, a year is it?And if breaks would I be dealing with pixmania or Lenovo.
    Looks like a fantastic laptop and I'm eager to get it.

Couldn't tell you.
    Generally you get a one year warranty but I can't tell you.

Best bet would be to e-mail pixmania and ask them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Got the laptop you posted(LENOVO ideapad z570...link is broken) today.

Ordered tuesday night.Pixmania were actually very good to deal which is strange.I hear they have been very bad in the past.

Fantastic laptop, very snappy and a steal at 410. Think it went back to 450-460 after that.Cheers Fluffy!

Actually bought one for my brother there too, I got it the night before the price went back up, had a €13 off voucher that I found on http://promotionalcodes.ie/ so came in at €406 should be here Monday.

Sorry I didn't post the money off code, only found out about that site recently.
    Best of luck with your new laptop :)

Advertisement