Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEOLOGY DEGREE COURSES DUBLIN

• 24-11-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hello,
    Are Trinity and UCD the only universities offering such courses in Dublin?

As a Civil Engineer with 11 years post grad experience, would this degree be a good choice in light of major works in Canada/Oz etc in the mineral extraction space?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I think given the time it would take to do a degree and given you already have a degree and loads of experience, would a masters be of more benefit? The University of Exeter Camborne School of Mines is probably one of the best mineral and mining places in the world. Here's some of the taught postgrad courses they offer. Just something to mull over if you want before looking into a 4 year commitment with another undergrad.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭david4791

Hello el siglo
    Your right with regards to spending another four years doing a degree, however, with no geology experience how would i fare out doing a masters in this field?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

david4791 wrote: »
    Hello el siglo
    Your right with regards to spending another four years doing a degree, however, with no geology experience how would i fare out doing a masters in this field?

Absolutely grand. I don't have experience in Geology and I'm doing a PhD in facies modelling which is essentially the basis of most mining and oil work so don't be put out about the rocks bit, if you've the skills from Engineering you'd fly through those kinds of masters. And remember not everyone will have a Geology degree so you won't be alone and in some cases coming from a pure Geology background isn't what it's cracked up to be when it comes to postgrads etc... I did a BA in Geography so trust me on that one! ;)

Sound advice, cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

david4791 wrote: »
    Hello,
    Are Trinity and UCD the only universities offering such courses in Dublin?

As a Civil Engineer with 11 years post grad experience, would this degree be a good choice in light of major works in Canada/Oz etc in the mineral extraction space?

I would think that Canada graduates enough of its own geologists, with Canadian field experience, to occupy most of the jobs going there.

I used to work as a geologist in Canada, so PM me if you want more info.

• Advertisement

True hosed

Advertisement