Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD: are *all* these "Services/Security" people necessary?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 5:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

For months now I've been walking around UCD and for some bizarre reason there are "Services" people just standing at the top/bottom of stairs around the Arts Block. They seem to be there all the time, wearing blue jumpers or a shirt and tie. Just what purpose are they serving? Does anybody know?

I've always thought that their standing at entrances to car parks such as the one near the lake telling me not to park in there because it is full is pointless - I can quickly discover that myself by driving in and looking - but this seems an even greater waste of UCD's supposedly tight resources.

Is this a matter of UCD having the budget for such people and wanting to use it up, even if they don't need them, otherwise they will probably not get the funding in next year's budget?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Read the signs on the doors in the Arts Block. They are for safety reasons due to ongoing works. There is also another thread on this where there'll be more information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

Yep, necessary.
    And some are also quite cute ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Excuse my ignorance, but why exactly are they there? What works/reason is there to this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Excuse my ignorance, but why exactly are they there? What works/reason is there to this?

The fire alarm system in the Newman system is undergoing maintenance, therefore for health and safety reasons there needs to be people in place to evacuate the building if the need ever arises.

Not a bad contract at all . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

The fire alarm system in the Newman system is undergoing maintenance, therefore for health and safety reasons there needs to be people in place to evacuate the building if the need ever arises.

Not a bad contract at all . . .

Ah that makes sense at least. I thought it was ridiculous how many there were today. understandable now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement