Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving with a Dog.

Options
  • 24-11-2011 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

I'm in a small flat at the minute, and long story short I've been told I need to take full responsibility for the family dog by May or he's gone. So I've been keeping an eye out on Daft to see what my chances are, and next to nowhere in my area states on their ad that they will accept dogs. I could use some advice on how to handle this, as I've dealt with estate agents who told me it was fine only to have the owner come out and say it wasn't. How do you convince someone that your dog will not tear the house to literal pieces?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Can you offer to give an extra amount as 'pet deposit'?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

WHat sort of dog is it, and how old is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

In apartments- normally its simply not up to the landlord whether or not dogs are allowed, it will be specified in their longterm lease of the property. Its not necessarily that the dog would cause damage to the property (although obviously this is a factor) its more that all the external areas are held in common, and particularly if there are young children living in the complex, its not fair to expose them to urine or excrement in what they know as their garden or play area.

Particularly in relation to apartments- it is not in the landlord's giving to accept dogs (or indeed pets of any nature).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 palester

We've been in a number of rentals with our dog. It's not as difficult to get a rental as you think it will be.Always ask when you enquire about a property and if the estate agent suggests that the landlord won't like it, insist that they double check. You may have to be willing to opt for an older property, perhaps an older cottage or terraced bungalow instead of an apartment. If your dog is used to being an indoor dog, you just need to assure the landlord that it is not destructive, is well exercised etc. The suggestion of adding extra to your deposit to give the landlord peace of mind is a good one.
    Also offering for the rental to be checked by the landlord after8 weeks is a another idea.
    Persevere, you'll definitely get something. How about looking into getting someone to walk the dog for you during the day if you're not around? A landlord may consider the dog if you had a plan of action for all eventualities.
    Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Are you looking to rent another Appartment or a house ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm in a small flat at the minute, and long story short I've been told I need to take full responsibility for the family dog by May or he's gone.

What do your parents (I assume it's your parents making that threat) mean by "gone" exactly? It's wonderful to see Ireland's image as a pet-unfriendly nation persisted and the attitude truly angers me.

Rant aside, if the OP is unsuccessful in finding accommodation that will allow for pets, whatever you do ... do not allow the "family" dog to be surrendered to a pound. The poor dog will be put down in very short order because it is considered a 'surrender' and not a dog that has simply strayed and become lost with hope of being reclaimed. It's last minutes/hours will be misery & fear at why it has been abandoned by its "family". If you must, contact a few shelters who will do their best to have your pet rehomed. The folks on the Animals & Pet Issues forum will be able to help advise if you need to take this route.

Best of luck in finding somewhere OP and hopefully nothing bad will come of it all. Personally, I'd be reading the riot-act if a member of my family ever said something like that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'm looking to rent whatever I can find that will take a dog to be honest. It's my mother making the threat, it is my dog, but I moved out for college and she's recently decided she will not be caring for him any longer. I have no intention of letting him go to a pound, I'll walk the streets with him if I have to.
    He's a large collie/bernese cross and he's just turned 8.
    I was just looking for advice on how to make the notion sound appealing when at a viewing (thanks palester). He gets an hour walk in the morning before college and a two hour walk when I get home (no later than 4) and he's well past the destructive stage. I have him in the flat with me at the minute since, frankly, I don't trust my mother to deal with this maturely. I'm not supposed to have dogs here at all, so I've been getting friends to help out when I know the landlord is calling (I know this is wrong and could cause trouble but I will not see this dog go to a pound).
    The pet deposit idea I like, I never thought of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Just wanted to let you know that it is indeed possible to rent with pets; I found a house where landlords agreed to a cat and cats are actually more damaging to furniture etc than dogs. Just be polite and patient. Offering extra deposit/viewing options is a good idea.
    Fair play to you for taking responsibility for your dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nolan Properties

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    I'm in a small flat at the minute, and long story short I've been told I need to take full responsibility for the family dog by May or he's gone. So I've been keeping an eye out on Daft to see what my chances are, and next to nowhere in my area states on their ad that they will accept dogs. I could use some advice on how to handle this, as I've dealt with estate agents who told me it was fine only to have the owner come out and say it wasn't. How do you convince someone that your dog will not tear the house to literal pieces?

Hi If your looking around Kildare, let me know what area and your price range, I'll let you know if i've something suitable. Contact details are 045 855 820 or 087 9824282
    Regards
    Sharon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

As smccarrick has already said, the leases for most high density developments (most developments built since 2000) prohibit dogs in the development. Dogs do bark and in new developments, it can disturb a lot of people. You will be better off looking in older more established areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Em: thats not true!!!!!!
    Apartments typically won't take pets, but houses are private and it's up to the owner!!!
    :)
    Have you tried putting an ad up on daft for a place that will take a pet?
    Or in the house sharing / flatmates section? I recall recently there was a girl studying vet in UCD who wanted a place for herself & dog., Pyle to team up with someone to get a large house wih fenced garden for dog...
    You never know what's out there!!!

Em: thats not true!!!!!!
    Apartments typically won't take pets, but houses are private and it's up to the owner!!!

Not in our development or my sister-in-law's, it's in the sale deeds of the houses as well as the leases for the apartments. Understandably too, noise carries, certainly in our development...a dog barking in one unit/garden would disturb at least 50 of the other units.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Yes- it all depends on what restrictions were attached to planning applications at the time. Post 2001 the restrictions in many cases became quite onerous, even in freehold units (as opposed to leasehold properties- where the management companies can prescribe any restrictions as they so choose, in accordance with their articles of association).

If you try to rent an older property- aka one not built in the last 10-15 years, other than apartments, you 'should' be ok- if the landlord gives you express permission in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Ive never hear the like: and bought and waS actively looking for years around 03,04,05.
    Is it a council estate yor SIl is on; or assisted purchase scheme. Lots of council estates restrict dogs cos of the potential liability to he council.
    But I've never heard the like ; exceptional .

No. We both own privately and fully. Like Smccarrick said, it's a condition of the planning permission for the development.
    Ive never hear the like: and bought and waS actively looking for years around 03,04,05.
    Is it a council estate yor SIl is on; or assisted purchase scheme. Lots of council estates restrict dogs cos of the potential liability to he council.
    But I've never heard the like ; exceptional .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

It's actually in the Dundalk area I'm looking. I'm only in a flat at the minute because it was the cheapest place of convenience going when I had to move.
    I didn't know that I could place a "wanted" ad in Daft actually, that makes things easier.
    Hopefully the idea of knowing he's no pup and the pet deposit will be enough to keep us together :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

my advice, is to view places that are owner occupied and only bring the dog up before you make an offer.
    a lot of landlords will say point blank down the phone that no dogs are allowed, but once they meet you, you have the chance to sow yourself a decent, conscientious person who happens to own a dog. you have a better chance that way than just asking over the phone as you will get a straight no and thats that.

subway wrote: »
    my advice, is to view places that are owner occupied and only bring the dog up before you make an offer.

Do you mean owner occupied or being let by the owner rather than an agency? If the latter then your advice makes sense, if you're suggesting the OP goes to rent a room in an owner occupied house and then says "by the way I have a dog but I'd like the room anyway" - I can't see any owner occupier being cool with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Sorry, didn't mean owner occupied. Typing in a hurry...

Advertisement