Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a CPU cooler absolutely neccesary?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I just ordered my PC yesterday, got an i5 2500k processor.
    Would I be ok without a fan for a while? I don't plan on playing any graphics heavy games for a while, maybe just Minecraft and then some simple web browsing.
    I forgot to order one of hardwareversand and if I order one of them now then I'll have to pay 30euro just to ship the cooler, and I looked at the Irish sites and they are all 40-50euro to get a cooler for it, so would I be able to wait maybe until January to get one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Hey,
    Would I be ok without a fan for a while? I don't plan on playing any graphics heavy games for a while, maybe just Minecraft and then some simple web browsing.
    I forgot to order one of hardwareversand and if I order one of them now then I'll have to pay 30euro just to ship the cooler, and I looked at the Irish sites and they are all 40-50euro to get a cooler for it, so would I be able to wait maybe until January to get one?
    It comes with a stock fan and heatsink. That will do until you want to get something decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Shy_Dave!

If it was the 'retail' boxed i5 2500k it will have a cooler and preapplied paste.
    if it was the cheaper 'oem' boxed i5 2500k it won't have a cooler.

Without a cooler your processor would heat up to hundreds of degrees within seconds of turning on and become a decent grill for a full-Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Do not run it without a cooler, you'll destroy the CPU. However, the stock cooler (if it comes with it) is perfectly fine if you're not planning to overclock. There are quieter things out there than a stock cooler for cooling a CPU but this might not matter to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

If you're just playing minecraft and web browsing, the stock cooler is totally fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Who's putting this system together. I hope it's not the OP with a question like that :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

tuxy wrote: »
    Who's putting this system together. I hope it's not the OP with a question like that :eek:

Of course I'm not putting it together, you can obviously tell I'm new to all this.
    This is the exact one I ordered: http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=41224&agid=1617

Does that one come with a stock cooler?

edit: it may only come with a heat sink :/ Not too sure but that's all the accessories it says comes with it.

it may only come with a heat sink :/ Not too sure but that's all the accessories it says comes with it.

It should be fine, it means cooler when it says heatsink. A cooler (air) is just a heatsink with a fan attached to blow air through it. In the old days it used to just be a heatsink, no fan.

nesf wrote: »
    It should be fine, it means cooler when it says heatsink. A cooler (air) is just a heatsink with a fan attached to blow air through it. In the old days it used to just be a heatsink, no fan.

Could you find one of Dabs for me?
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,cooling/11258-4294946930

Cheaper the better, sorry for asking but I looked and don't know whether they are compatible with the 2500k or not, the 2500k is LGA1155 and most of them say 1156 and very few say 1155. :/

As long as you install the cpu cooler properly which comes with the processor you won't need another one unless you plan on heavily overclocking the processor.
    The cpu cooler the processor comes with should be more than adequate for your needs that you described.

http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,cases--cooling-and-power,cooling/11258-4294946930

Cheaper the better, sorry for asking but I looked and don't know whether they are compatible with the 2500k or not, the 2500k is LGA1155 and most of them say 1156 and very few say 1155. :/

The others know more about today's coolers than I do. That said, the questions you should answer are:

Are you going to overclock?
    If not, are you really looking for a quiet cooler?
    How technical are you? (If you're really not very technical and you're not going to overclock then leaving the stock cooler as the one you're using would not be a bad idea)

• Advertisement

nesf wrote: »
    The others know more about today's coolers than I do. That said, the questions you should answer are:

Are you going to overclock?
    If not, are you really looking for a quiet cooler?
    How technical are you? (If you're really not very technical and you're not going to overclock then leaving the stock cooler as the one you're using would not be a bad idea)

Not that bothered about overclocking, maybe when I learn more about it then I will.
    I don't care about the noise, I'll have a headset on, as long as it isn't louder than the headset.

Ok, so I'll be fine with the stock cooler for a while, thanks for the help :)

PS: Hypothetically speaking, if it doesn't come with a stock cooler and I run it what will happen to it? Will I break it, and by break I mean, will I have to buy a new one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It might be fun if you like the smell of burning silicon.

PS: Hypothetically speaking, if it doesn't come with a stock cooler and I run it what will happen to it? Will I break it, and by break I mean, will I have to buy a new one?

You'll permanently damage the chip once it's put under any pressure at all and have to buy a new one. Seriously not something I'd recommend. I've heat damaged chips in the past, it's not pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

Hey,

you'll be grand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xf0VuRG7MN4&feature=related

the smoke is just a special effect :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Not that bothered about overclocking, maybe when I learn more about it then I will.

Why did you buy a K processor if you weren't going to overclock?

It'd be the electrical equivalent to smashing it with a hammer.

54kroc wrote: »
    It might be fun if you like the smell of burning silicon.

That would be a good answer if I asked if it was fun to use not if it was needed.
    Please be more helpful. Its obvious I'm new to this and don't know, that's why I asked and comments like that aren't going to help me.

@Above, I was told the i5 2500k was the best proccesor to get so I got it.

Why did you buy a K processor if you weren't going to overclock?

Good price, capacity to overclock in the future if you need a faster processor then etc. It's not like it's like the old days with Extreme Edition pricing for unlocked multipliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Basically, don't even try it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Or to put it another way, it's the equivalent of removing the brakes and steering wheel from a car and asking can you still drive it? While technically the answer is yes, however nothing good will come from it unless a flaming wreck is what you were looking for.

Think I'll just buy this: Cooler Master Hyper TX 3 - 92 mm

Is it easy to install CPU Coolers? I'd have to do it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

The processor you bought comes with a heatsink and fan. All you have to do is align the 4 studs with the socket, press it in and connect the fan to the CPU fan connector.

If you want to overclock in the future, you'll be better off buying a different cooler and replacing the intel one.

Running the PC without any cooler will permanently destroy your CPU and void your warranty also :D

MakeNine wrote: »
    The processor you bought comes with a heatsink and fan. All you have to do is align the 4 studs with the socket, press it in and connect the fan to the CPU fan connector.

If you want to overclock in the future, you'll be better off buying a different cooler and replacing the intel one.

Running the PC without any cooler will permanently destroy your CPU and void your warranty also :D

Could you suggest a cooler that would stop it from overheating whilst Overclocking?

If your putting a few parts in/doing it for the first time this video might be helpful, he goes through some of the more basic steps (even how to open your boxes!).
    Might teach you some things about aligning your cpu in the socket correctly etc, although the motherboard for your intel processor has a slightly different system for locking the processor and cpu cooler in place:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUY0tP5jYIo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

akazzz wrote: »
    If you're just playing minecraft and web browsing, the stock cooler is totally fine.

If you do anything up to and including OC'ing the thing to 3.8Ghz the stock cooler is fine.

BTW Minecraft can tax out any PC out there if you set off a map full of TNT, it will bring any system to it's knees.

That would be a good answer if I asked if it was fun to use not if it was needed.
    Please be more helpful. Its obvious I'm new to this and don't know, that's why I asked and comments like that aren't going to help me

Lol, calm down fella and wind your neck in, I wasn't taking the piss.

You might be new to building pc's but are you also new to reading, the question you asked was answered twice already before you asked it again and I answered.

Could you suggest a cooler that would stop it from overheating whilst Overclocking?

The Noctua DH-D14 would be suitable but it ain't cheap.
    Link

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

For future reference, if it says 1156 compatible, it will be compatible with 1155. They use the same layout / dimensions for the CPU cooler mounts.

Edit

http://www.dabs.ie/products/corsair-air-series-a50-performance-cpu-cooler-73G2.html?refs=4294946930-11&src=3

That would be good for a bit of overclocking, and its only €25. It really is quite a decent cooler.

Advertisement