Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork city parking changes

Options
  • 24-11-2011 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭

Seems the powers that be have finally seen sense to the aggressive nature of clamping and towing in the city centre.

The clamping company contracted for parking enforcement is to lose its contract.
    A MORE "people-friendly" parking system will be introduced in Cork city within weeks, after the City Council decided not to renew its costly towing and clamping contract with a private company.....

The council is now drawing up a new parking control policy to kick in on January 5. The proposals include:

*The replacement of towing with a ‘relocation’ service. Cars parked dangerously, in loading bays or in clear-ways will be towed to nearby streets, with the owners incurring a €40 fine. It will eliminate the towing of cars to the city pound, which imposed a €160 release fee.

*Using wheel clamps in limited circumstances only — for repeat offenders or motorists with outstanding parking fines.

The city’s team of 11 traffic wardens and two supervisors will replace the clamping regime by issuing parking fines, but they will not be directly involved in clamping, the city’s head of parking control, Eddie Hawkins, said.

Linky

This is good news for the businesses of the city centre. For a long time its a lot easier to go to Mahon Point, Wilton, etc. and avoid being clamped/towed/ticketed. I hear this a lot from customers where I work (albeit in the city).

Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Sounds much better to me, relocation of cars is a much better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Lashed

City council and common sence aren't usually 2 words I would use in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Cork City Council lost €250,000 an clamping last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

SeaFields wrote: »
    For a long time its a lot easier to go to Mahon Point, Wilton, etc.

It still will be. This change won't really make much of a difference.
    No clamping/towing is a good thing but parking in the city will still be awkward & can be expensive.
    Parking in Mahon Point is easy & free.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I only go to town if I really have to. Parking on street is nearly impossible, and the endless chuggers put me right off. Wish we could go back to having the 50 spaces on the Grand Parade near the fountain, and the likes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Owen wrote: »
    I only go to town if I really have to. Parking on street is nearly impossible, and the endless chuggers put me right off. Wish we could go back to having the 50 spaces on the Grand Parade near the fountain, and the likes!

Jesus I forgot about the parking on the Grande Parade, that used to be dead handy alright.
    I rarely use the car to go to town anymore I just take the van instead and park in a loading bay.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭BarneyMagee

I think removing clamping will be something people will regret in the long term.

Traders in particular will be back complaining in a few months saying there are no spaces available as people are hogging all the disc spots.

I would be a lot more likely to leave my car parked for longer or without at disc altogether. A €40 ticket is a lot easier to take a chance on than a clamp and an €80 release fee or a tow away charge of €160.

While the clamping contract itself lost money the city makes a handy profit overall through the sale of parking discs. I'd say parking disc income will fall off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

54kroc wrote: »
    Jesus I forgot about the parking on the Grande Parade, that used to be dead handy alright.
    I rarely use the car to go to town anymore I just take the van instead and park in a loading bay.

Sccch for Gods sake, don't tell them about the van and the loading bay, they will all be at it.

Advertisement