Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trail runners and Adidas Sizing?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 6:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for a pair of entry level trail runners to stem the road boredom over winter. Maybe substitute one road run a week with a run in the forestry at the back of the house, mostly fire roads of loose / semi loose / compacted gravel with about 2km of paved road from the car park and a short section of old gravel with a top layer of grass/mud/slime.
    I ran there last week in my old battered Asics with no problems apart from a slip / slide on the slime section, I was walking down it at the time as I knew it was lethal from going up it.
    My current road shoes are a pair of pegasus 28 and Asics 1160 which are both comfortable and no major problems, and both in a size eu46 uk11.
    I found both of these and the adidas seem to be better rated.
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ADI4361/adidas-kanadia-4-hi~viz-trail-running-shoes/ (Adidas Kannadia)
    http://www.sportsshoes.com/product/NIK5507/nike-air-alvord-9-shield-trail-running-shoes/ (Nike Air Alvord Elverys have these for 55)
    Nowhere local had the Adidas to try on for fit but I did try on a pair of Adidas glide road shoes but the 11 fit was odd, it seemed a bit tighter than both the Nikes and the Asics, not by much but my toe was more forward in the toe box.
    Is this normal, do adidas tend to be small? Looking at their website there is a EU half size difference, ie: Adidas 11 is EU45.5 whereas nike and Asics are EU46?
    Would it matter a whole lot and is tighter a bit better for trail runners?
    I could just go for the nikes which should be the same sizing as my Pegasus but the Kannadias get better ratings / reviews and the thread pattern looks more suited to where I will be running.
    I can't currently justify spending more than say 70 as herself will remove my.......

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Adidas are generally a narrow fit, I have the Kanadia II and they fit like my other Adi's - so you should be safe enough trying on a non trail pair in a shop and choosing from there - most online stores will offer a return service anyway.
    by the way you can get them on Wiggle for €51.76 with free delivery to Ireland using the voucher code EXTRA-10, I'm sure the €8 is better in your pocket: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/adidas-kanadia-4-tr-high-vis-shoes-aw11/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got these (Kanadia 4) a couple of weeks ago, haven'tused them yet. I normally take a size 9 in everything, but I found the Kanadia size 9 to be a but tight so I ended up getting a 10, which are slightly too big, but I suppose that's better than having squashed toes. Hoping to give them a spin in the morning if I can stick to 3 pints tonight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I found Adidas sizing off too, don't have a particular wide foot but a couple of years ago I picked up a pair of Swoop 2 trail shoes and went a half size bigger than normal. But I couldn't really wear them anyway as after only a short while they would cut the instep off me, could be because I'm flat footed and they just didn't suit as I see others wear them for decent length runs without apparent issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Tried out a pair of the kanadia a year ago (size 10) and had to return them after a few days as they were too tight right where the toes start, tried on size eleven and still had the same tightness. Swopped them for a pair of the Nike Alvords instead (size 10) and have raced all year on them and have found them decent enough.

There is a 15% discount code for start fitness as well - LAST15, there's some good prices there as will and most come with a free pair of More Mile socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I found Adidas sizing off too, don't have a particular wide foot but a couple of years ago I picked up a pair of Swoop 2 trail shoes and went a half size bigger than normal. But I couldn't really wear them anyway as after only a short while they would cut the instep off me, could be because I'm flat footed and they just didn't suit as I see others wear them for decent length runs without apparent issues.

Glad to hear I am not the only one with issue on adidas sizing. Bought a pair of Adizero Ace a half size bigger than normal but they also tend to cut into my instep. I have resolved most of the problem by removing the stitching off the adidas 'stripes'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭b.harte

Thanks for the replies,
    Don't think I'll go all little shoemaker removing stitching on a pair of Kanadia's just yet.
    I tried on a few different Adidas shoes today after work and the sizing just felt off for me, so I'll be opting for the Nike Alvord 9 Shield I'll see if I can grab a pair tomorrow. 55 in Elverys, bargain.
    Or I might have a rummage in TKMAXX

Bertie

Just a quick update.
    I went to Elverys yesterday to pick up the Nike Alvord 9 Shield.
    While I was there I also managed to get a quick run on the threadmill in both the Adidas Kanadia 4 and the Nikes. (I also tried the lunarglide 2 which were reduced to 54 euro :))

I noticed straight off the bat that the nike are a firmer shoe, the cushioning is grand but the whole shoe isn't very flexible, the Adidas felt like a slipper, a tight slipper.

I was more comfortable in the Nikes overall so went with them, also the lad in the shop gave some good advice about the sole on the Adidas not being great for the road, whereas the nike was a bit more road friendly. FYI I'm normally a size 11 but went a full size up in the Adidas, still a bit odd but a fit I could get along with.

Anyway, I did a 10km up and over the mountain this morning, mostly forest road (gravel) but one section was very slippy mud, grass, moss and the nike were okay, a little bit of side slip but comfy and sure underfoot.
    Coming down the extra grip really paid off, I was able to run without really giving a second thought to slipping, my running buddy had a normal pair of ascis kayano and he felt very hesitant to push on. For that alone the shoes were worth it.

I might pick up a pair of Kanadia as well closer to christmas if there is another wiggle 10% code now that I know the size to go for. The only niggle is the lack of flex in the nike but not too much of an issue on the first run.

Thanks for the advice.

Bertie

went for a spin in the Kanadias on Saturday morning (same route I did a couple of weeks ago around Three Rock to compare them to my other shoes). I didn't have any problems with the fit, they were comfortable enough in that respect. I found them a more grippy than the Merrells I was wearing. I was a bit hesitant coming downhill to open it up as the rocks were wet and I was sure I'd take a fall, but no such problems. The grip was even good on the wet tarmac on the way back down. There was a nice amount of support and cushioning. The only problem I had was with tiny stones getting to the shoes and annoying my feet, but that would happen with any shoes. So far, so good, it will be interesting to see how they get on as I get a bit more trail experience myself

b.harte wrote: »
    Just a quick update.
    I might pick up a pair of Kanadia as well closer to christmas if there is another wiggle 10% code now that I know the size to go for.
    Bertie

Goddamnit! Me and my internet promises!!
    And damn you wiggle with your weekly emails.
    Adidas box on the way.:eek::eek::eek::o

Ran this morning for the first time in quite muddy conditions (howth bog of frogs trail) and have discovered what I would consider a major failing for a trail shoe. Because of the tread pattern, side to side lugs, there is absolutely no lateral grip. I lost count of the number of times my feet slid out from under me to the side.

• Advertisement
Advertisement