Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card Chargeback -Apple

Options
  • 24-11-2011 7:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

As per my thread here

I rang Apple last week seeking a replacement iPhone as I have had so many problems with Three as per that thread. Apple agreed to replace the iPhone as gesture of goodwill for free. However they needed my Credit Card details for security and placed a hold on my Credit Card for over €500 to ensure I would replace the faulty iPhone.

However they also charged me €29 for shipping with UPS without I consenting to it or agreeing, I simply gave them my Credit Card details for the hold and not for shipping.

I got an invoice by post from them last week and upon checking my online banking discovered that I had been charged the €29 despite I never consenting to it.

I contacted Apple immediately and got in contact with a really helpful agent there and I sent her on screenshots of the online banking and of the paper bill I had received and she confirmed I should not have been charged and was very apologetic, she escalated it and was going to try and get the €29 fee refunded.

I got an email from this agent this morning regretting that she herself could not authorize it and for to call them back. I rang them back and explained everything and their supervisor then agreed to refund me the €29 but that it would take 6 weeks!!! I have been overcharged before by different companies but the refund were always made within 5 days and most definitely not 6 weeks!

I asked him to give me written confirmation of the refund and he refused saying he was unable to do this.

I am not happy with this and feel it is an attempt to fob me off, it shouldn't take 6 weeks and I am concerned that if I wait I will not be able to make the charge back as you only have so long to do this, I have never had to initiate a charge back against a company before as any problems I had were dealt with properly.

Any ideas, I have contacted my Credit Card company (BOI) and am going to fax them in the details tomorrow!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

I think you should be grateful for Apples generosity here and quit moaning !! They didn't have to do anything at all - your contract was with Three ! You got a brand new iPhone instead of a repaired one ?

Or is there more to this ? What you linked to was just one post, is there a thread attached to it ?

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭podgie.

ZENER wrote: »
    Or is there more to this ? What you linked to was just one post, is there a thread attached to it ?

Ken

yes, 3 pages.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ZENER wrote: »
    I think you should be grateful for Apples generosity here and quit moaning !! They didn't have to do anything at all - your contract was with Three ! You got a brand new iPhone instead of a repaired one ?

Ken

There is a huge 8 page thread with 100+ posts on the whole debacle!

I am grateful for apple's generosity in the sense that they as the manufacturer replaced it when the Telecom Company Three caused the mess by taking a good phone and replacing it with a broken one and then refusing to acknowledge or replace the broken one they gave! However I still had my 12 month warranty so they would have had certain obligations to me anyway!

However no company can charge you something you did not agree to and if I knew there was a €29 charge I could have decided if I wanted to pay it then!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Just read most of the posts in that thread ! You've certainly been put through the ringer by 3, my sympathies ! I'm a victim of their dreadful CS myself with regard to a BB account on my iPad 8 months and still no resolution.

Apple are well known for their excellent CS and do believe you will get your money back from them, a little patience (if you have any left ? ;) ) and I'm sure you'll get satisfaction.

Interested in why they were determined to get that replacement phone back though, more interested in where your original phone went after Phonemenders dealt with it !

I'll be following your thread with interest !

Good luck.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

You could contact BOI for a charge back, but the problem is you usually need the company to refuse a refund, Apple are not refusing they are just taking way to long.

Do the charge back as an unauthorised charge and let them get the story from apple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    You could contact BOI for a charge back, but the problem is you usually need the company to refuse a refund, Apple are not refusing they are just taking way to long.

Do the charge back as an unauthorised charge and let them get the story from apple.
    Once you tell your bank the amount is disputed and that you want a chargeback they must return it to your account within 48hours afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had to get proof as in a e-mail from a retailer in America that I had never received the porduct I ordered. Once I got this to AIB CC, they refunded me my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 slanystu

Hi Stinicker.

I had similar trouble with apple when they replaced a phone for me last year.

It turns out the 29 euro is for the express delivery by ups. Basically they will send u the phone before they receive yours back.

The free option works by YOU sending your phone back to them first, then they will send you the replacement. This usually happens within 10 days.

Apple have a bit of a reputation for not making this clear on the customer service call.

Ring them, ask for the Iphone Team, then explain the problem. Explain that you were clearly told that it would be free, and were never infomed about the express charge. Then ask for an escalation. You will have to hold for a while, then they will transfer yoiu to a level two operator.

This person has the authority to process the refund. Make sure to ask for either email address, or for the confirmation emailed to YOU.

Best of luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Got a refund back to my Credit Card yesterday for the €29 charge, didn't have to do a chargeback after all. :)

Advertisement