Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*How to Improve French Aural/ Listening.

Options
  • 24-11-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I desperately need and want a B2 or over in French and have been doing a full listening test once a week to try and improve my standard. I have done the following tape tests so far and gotten the following results:
    • 2010 70% B3
    • 2009 66% C1
    • 2008 70% B3
    • 2007 70% B3
    • 2006 55% C3
    Are these results ok for this stage of the year? What do I need to do to achieve a B2+ in my tape test to help me improve my overall grade?. Thanks a million,

PictureFrame..
    :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

I think watching tv in French is a really good way of improving this. You can put dvds into French with English subtitles which is good, or you could watch the French version of different tv shows online.

I find that if you watch something you like anyway, you pick up words much more easily than if you were using revision cd's etc. This French website has lots of programmes on it: www.wat.tv . Family Guy is a good one to watch because it's easy enough to understand most of it. Also if you've seen the episode before it helps.

Just search the show you want to watch on that site, but check that it's a full episode first because some are just clips. I think they have stuff like American Dad etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That's fine for this stage of the year. With average scores like that i'd say you'll be able to reach a B2 fairly easily.

As for actually improving your skills, i'd recommend listening to French internet radio stations like France Inter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Matthieu_FR

hello. I'm French and I have a good understanding of the B2 level. Your grades are good enough, just try to mix your hobbies with my language, like watching dvds with subtitles ( I can recommend films ) and listening to radio stations. I'd be glad to help in detail if you need to work on specific grammar or pronunciation issues. bye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

This site is the business for improving aural skills. Watch the little videos in French (there's a transcript underneath), and you can read the English version afterwards to see how much you understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 C_S_OBrien

Another handy thing you can do is get french radio podcasts or even the LC tapes and put them on your ipod. If you walk/ get the bus to school listening to them is a good way to get in a few extra mins of french that you won't really notice/miss.

The experts say that in people who missed out on the grade e.g got 84 and so missed an A2 or 79 and missed out on a B1 that in a very high percentage their listening exam brought them down and it's a pity when it's a section of the exam where its all about keeping your ear trained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

So how would one go about acquiring French radio podcasts....?

(i.e. someone link me so I don't have to look for them myself :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 C_S_OBrien

If it's for an ipod then the itunes store has a podcast section and there should be free ones in there from the french radio channels

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

It's either tf1, of tfn1 but it's a french podcast for the news! Our teacher got us all to download it in first year!!

Advertisement