Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FE1 Preparatory Courses - Independent/Griffith/City Colleges

• 24-11-2011 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi,

So with the results out I'd like to do online courses this time round and have been trying to do some research on the courses out there. I'd love to hear from people who have done these courses and which ones they'd recommend. I have to do 5;Company, Constitutional,Tort, Contract and EU. Fun.

Are there lecturers from these colleges that are particularly good on any of these subjects? I thought maybe that could be the deciding factor - whatever college that has the majority of excellent lecturers in the subjects I have to do.

Money is also a very big factor and Griffith, with their specials, seem to be the best value so, right now, i'm leaning towards them.

Another factor for me is Griffith's sample answer bank which some have told me was invaluable in their studies. I think Independent don't really have this in place (Correct me if i'm wrong) and City Colleges say they do but i'm not sure as to the quality of their answers or if they are just answers to some questions, not all.
    Is anyone doing the City Colleges course? How are you finding it?

Any advice would be very much appreciated. I'd like to start perhaps next week, if i can just decide on which course!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I can only comment on Griffith, but I found them very good. The online option is great if you're working or live too far away. If the others don't have the sample answers I'd go with Griffith. It really is an invaluable resource. I used to practice questions and then go through their answer to see what I missed, got wrong etc and it's a great way to learn. Plus, if you do this enough you are nearly guaranteed to have practiced some questions on the papers, as some years they use the same problem questions nearly word for word.

I'm doing a course with Independent and the college and facilities are great and the staff are very helpful. I can't comment on the FE1 courses specifically but they seem to be building a great reputation.

I only heard of city colleges this week! Looks to me like they were all independent lecturers who left? Some lecturers from GCD went to Independent I think, so if you want the best lecturers you could sign up for the different courses in all three!? Either way, I have all 8, so it's up to yourself to put the hard work in and I'm sure you'll get there regardless of what college you pick

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Thank you for your insight! Much appreciated. Congrats on getting all 8 as well!
    Yes, there is the option of not doing them all in different colleges. i guess I have always thought of doing them all from one college - i had Griffith in mind and their special offers!

but it's great to hear peoples' personal experiences with colleges so thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 law11

Hi Wez99950 and Sala. I was about to ask the same question before I noticed this thread. I am hoping to do an online prep course in 4 subjects this time around; EU, Company, and 2 from Property, Equity or Contract. I am also leaning towards Griffith with their deals and the availability of sample answers. I would be interested to hear a few people's opinions on which college they would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

Ciaran Patton in IC is superb. I had him for Criminal, but he's doing Equity now as well. He took our equity class a few times and was equally excellent for that.

I'm now doing Company in City with Mark Cockerill. I just decided to go for city cuz he was well recommended and he does seem good, although I've only been to one lecture. I think I'm going to sign up for Constitutional in City as well as I thought Brendan Foley was very good for Equity.

Does anyone know who is doing EU in City? Would he/she be better than Gary Fitzgerald in IC.
    Plenty of work to catch up on...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

MoneyMilo wrote: »
    I'm now doing Company in City with Mark Cockerill. I just decided to go for city cuz he was well recommended and he does seem good, although I've only been to one lecture. I think I'm going to sign up for Constitutional in City as well as I thought Brendan Foley was very good for Equity.

How do you find City's answer bank?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭MoneyMilo

wez99950 wrote: »
    How do you find City's answer bank?

I presume you're asking me for directions rather than my opinion! I can't find it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 copious

Hi I am looking to perhaps take an online fe1preparation course. I am uncertain if I will pass the exam first sitting (march) and am wondering if I were to have to sit it again in the next sitting would my account for the course still be available to me or does it expire at a certain time and I would have to pay the 300 odd fee again past march? Is there an option to download all the files put up on my online account onto a USB memory stick so that I can take them to a professional printers to be printed off in bulk? What materials come with the course? Manual (PDF or physical booklet file?) exam grid, examiners reports, exam papers? Can I view the videos more than once? Can I download them onto my desktop so that I would be able to view them in areas where I couldn't get wifi? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭boomtown84

Signing up for EU and Const this weekend...my last ones. I understand the lecturer is very good for Const. Anyone know if he is any good for EU?
    Also...what is the answer bank like. Swaying towards Griffith for EU just for the answer bank.
    Any help appreciated. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Philip Burke

Here's a link for the City Colleges FE1 solution bank:

http://www.citycolleges.ie/wp/city-bank/

At the moment, it's for registered students, but if you're looking for a particular solution we would be happy to email it to you (if we have it).

Best regards, Philip
    philip.burke@citycolleges.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

I couldn't recommend City Colleges enough. I did the intensive course for Constitutional, Tort and Company and found it to be excellent. The lecturers will give you their phone numbers if you need to ask them any questions before the exam which is comforting when you're stressing out to the max!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Brendan2011

will you still email a solution even if not a student of City Colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Philip Burke

will you still email a solution even if not a student of City Colleges

Sure, no problem. PM me and we will send you what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Dave Freeman

HI Phillip, does you offer above still hold this year abaout gettign soem City College solutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

HI Phillip, does you offer above still hold this year abaout gettign soem City College solutions

He is one of the lecturers of the prep courses. He was only sending one solution as a favour it would seem. I doubt he would be willing to send on more than one or two without you having signed up to the course.

I know who he is. Maybe you should let him answer for himself, if I signed up for the course I wouldnt need the favour would I

chops018 wrote: »
    He is one of the lecturers of the prep courses. He was only sending one solution as a favour it would seem. I doubt he would be willing to send on more than one or two without you having signed up to the course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

I know who he is. Maybe you should let him answer for himself, if I signed up for the course I wouldnt need the favour would I

No need for the smart answer, I was just letting you know incase you didn't know who he was. Also considering he has only 4 posts in 3 years and his last one was over a year ago I doubt he regularly uses this site anymore espcially considering his last activity was last November, so he more than likely won't be answering for himself.

Thanks for the advice....NOT....now go stick your oar in somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thanks for the advice....NOT....now go stick your oar in somewhere else.
    There is no need for that kind of attitude here. Props for the sweet use of the "NOT" though; brought me straight back to the 90s.

Advertisement