Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrapping a Dell xps 420 and looking for recommendations on new parts.

Options
  • 24-11-2011 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

So my graphics card went on my pc and when I was looking for a replacement I found the PSU was pretty limiting. It is a 4 year old PC too so I am worried that if I don't update I could just be buying parts to fit my old dell.

I have decided to get a new case, PSU, motherboard, ram and graphics card in the hope of improved flexability for future upgrades. I am not looking to spend too much and I am hoping to get the best bang for my buck. I will be keeping the q6600 CPU, my optical drive and my HD. I presume thats all I can really keep yeah?

I don't want to spend over 400 and to be honest I just want a set up that runs games (SC2, Skyrim) somewhat well, not on ultra graphics with 80 FPS. Can ye advise me on parts that would be compatable and meet my needs please? If you really feel a certain part might be worth extra money I will certainly take it into consideration.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dell psu is awesome.

I got 420xps. I droped 6870 in to it and it runs perfect.

I am playing bf3 on high settings with low or med AA. 64 maps work great with very good fps. Smaller maps or 32/48 servers work even better.

It's a small 375 psu, but it is a monster psu. I got my card for 170eu and that was in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I've an XPS420 here too. Using it as a HTPC for a few years now. I was running a power hungry 8800GTX Ultra in mine on the standard psu! I've since swapped it out for a quiet AMD/ATI fanless gfx card as I've a few other gaming systems.

Nforce wrote: »
    I've an XPS420 here too. Using it as a HTPC for a few years now. I was running a power hungry 8800GTX Ultra in mine on the standard psu! I've since swapped it out for a quiet AMD/ATI fanless gfx card as I've a few other gaming systems.

The 8800gtx systems had same style psu, but 400w if I remember correctly. Even better lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 villagejester

Thanks for the replys.

Yeah the only reason I was getting some of the other parts was for future upgrades which dell systems don't facilitate very well. Do ye think it would be really senseless to do these upgrades for that reason?

My ram at the moment is only 3 gigs of 800mhz which I definitly think needs upgrading and as I say the gprphics card. Where did you get your graphics card ShadowHearth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

The 8800gtx systems had same style psu, but 400w if I remember correctly. Even better lol.

Mine has a 375 watt too. I bought it as a bare bones set and added my own components afterwards. :)

• Advertisement

If you are on tight budged then just get gpu. Like I said, dells psu is very good.

My one came fro
    Austria, misses brought me as suvenier. :) but there are lots of them online m8

Advertisement