Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carrigrohane Straight Speed Limit Changes

Options
  • 24-11-2011 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

Just something to be cautious of, the City has changed the speed limit of the Straight Road. Before, as soon as you passed Atkins, there were very large rectangular end of speed limit signs meaning you could do 100kph (Course, most people plodded infuriatingly along at 65kph). Now, there's a small 60kph sign where the large rectangular ones were, and the 100kph isn't until much further up the road passed John A Woods.

A lot of people are unaware of the changes, and the Gardaí are taking advantage by parking in the entrance to John A Woods and catching cars both ways.

It's such a pity when you consider the history of that road, and all the Grand Prix racing it used to play host to. If anyone's interested, there's some great footage of how kick ass Cork used to be on the British Pathé site here

00017064.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

It's really sad to consider how great Cork was in our relatively recent past.

We had many sport that attracted international interest, both horses and motor, we had a stock exchange and outstripped many mainland British cities, some many times our size, in exports and tax revenue for the crown.

We also had almost every industry going, goldsmiths, silversmiths, stone masons, slaughter houses, meat processors, leather manufacturing, milk processing, bread making & baking and a thriving import and export business.

Our port topped exports and we were a centre of innovation and invention ~ that's something we've held on to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

They could do with putting more speed limit signs up around the place, especially 50kph zones in and around the City.

I've often been over taken on Boreenmanna Road whilst I was doing 50kph, especially as there are a number of schools on that road.

I'd actually love to see more of those digital speed displays that show you how fast you're going, especially in built up areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

^^^
    so its not just me that gets overtaken on the boreenmana road:)

i think there is only one speed limit sign just after the garage on the left hand side, halfway up the telephone pole, its about the size of a dinner plate though so not much use,
    definetly could do with more,

edit: great video!, strange too see the cars turning where the crows nest is now and heading up the hill, there is nothing except trees along the side of the road!, no student accomodation!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I'd actually love to see more of those digital speed displays that show you how fast you're going, especially in built up areas.

They'd be effective for near schools

There can be a downside to putting up those speed detector signs though, in the same way those pubs with breathalyzer machines in Australia were misused.

funny-picture-9979525394.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Great Vid Owen, I never realised cork had a such a good motorsport history!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭trebormurf

Those speed limits have been there a while now.Got caught by our friend hiding in Atkins last year,actually it was last November funnily enough.****in joke,u can fly around at upto 100kph on old country roads but Carrigrohane is 60kph for two-thirds of the stretch of road!!

Advertisement