Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio competition prize given to someone else >:(

• 24-11-2011 8:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I entered a radio competition about 2 months ago and won the daily prize. It was only a small prize but I was happy and I was entered into a draw for the weekly prize worth 2000 euro. When the weekly prize draw was being called out on air my name was called. I couldn’t believe my luck.

I got a call from the station looking for my address to post out the prize and was told it could take up to 28 days. When the prize arrived it was only the daily prize so I was kind of annoyed and rang the station only to be put through to an answering machine in the promotions department. This went on for a couple of weeks.

I finally got someone this week and she told me that the wrong name was called out and that the prize had been sent to someone else. She told me that she was very sorry and that she would send me out a different prize but the new prize is only worth about 400 euro.

I feel like I shouldn’t accept this prize and demand more but I don't want to sound like a prick. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

YOU'RE (not) THE WINNER!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Spend the 400 on scratch cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

What do you call a man with no shins? ^^^^^^^^

(OPs name)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They could have just ignored you altogether. I'd take the smaller prize and be glad of it. Shit happens, but at least you got something out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭toe_knee

No cash involved. The prize is worth 400 and the other one was worth 2000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

I'd suggest a hunger strike OP.

Not only will you get the prize but you should also lose a few pounds heading into the Christmas party season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I want my elephant!!!!!!!!!

but at least you got something out of it.
    A sore arse, I feel rode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,507 ✭✭✭cml387

Kiera wrote: »

(OPs name)

The Shinless Wonder?

Do I get the prize?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

(OPs name)
    Or a dog with no tongue?

smellie bollix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

what are the prizes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

How did they explain calling out the wrong name? I'd get on to them again threatening lawyers and see what they say.

cml387 wrote: »
    The Shinless Wonder?

Do I get the prize?

Yup, here's your trophie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

phasers wrote: »
    what are the prizes?
    prosthetic shins

They could have just ignored you altogether. I'd take the smaller prize and be glad of it. Shit happens, but at least you got something out of it.
    recyclebin wrote: »
    How did they explain calling out the wrong name? I'd get on to them again threatening lawyers and see what they say.

They said they have a text system that auto picks the name but for some reason on the live show they called out my name by mistake. The admin staff then get emailed with the names of the winners from the system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

toe_knee wrote: »
    Hi,

I entered a radio competition about 2 months ago and won the daily prize. It was only a small prize but I was happy and I was entered into a draw for the weekly prize worth 2000 euro. When the weekly prize draw was being called out on air my name was called. I couldn’t believe my luck.

I got a call from the station looking for my address to post out the prize and was told it could take up to 28 days. When the prize arrived it was only the daily prize so I was kind of annoyed and rang the station only to be put through to an answering machine in the promotions department. This went on for a couple of weeks.

I finally got someone this week and she told me that the wrong name was called out and that the prize had been sent to someone else. She told me that she was very sorry and that she would send me out a different prize but the new prize is only worth about 400 euro.

I feel like I shouldn’t accept this prize and demand more but I don't want to sound like a prick. What do you think?

If you won you are entitled to the prize, get back onto them. Have you a recording of the show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

(OPs name)

2/10 :p

Yes there is a podcast

kfallon wrote: »
    2/10 :p

Lets hear your joke with the punch-line being toe knee so.....

Is the 2000 euro prize something you really wanted or is it just the value that's pissing you off? If you don't actually care about the item I'd let it go.

Or else stand outside the radio station shouting "Where's my elephant?" for the lulz

• Advertisement

Basically the prize was a weekend away with 5 mates to Delphi with a day of activities and a signed Irish rugby world cup jersey.

I had told my mates and we were planning on heading up there for my birthday next year.

What they are trying to give me is a weekend away for 2 with B&B and 1 evening meal

Delphi is shíte! Take the weekend away for two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Lets hear your joke with the punch-line being toe knee so.....

Na cos you'll just purposely mark it down to make yours look good!

This is like a joke version of Come Dine With Me, I'm wise to your ways :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yes there is a podcast
    **** that, if I had a recording of me winning a €2000 prize then I would accept nothing less than €2000.

kfallon wrote: »
    Na cos you'll just purposely mark it down to make yours look good!

This is like a joke version of Come Dine With Me, I'm wise to your ways :P

Dammit :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Those clowns in congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

If it's bothering you that much you could probably demand the 2000 prize, since you have evidence they called out your name.

If it was me I'd probably just leave it and take the 400 prize, better than nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They said they have a text system that auto picks the name but for some reason on the live show they called out my name by mistake. The admin staff then get emailed with the names of the winners from the system.
    Smells like bull to me. If the admin staff were emailed the name of the correct winner, then why did they contact you?

Sounds like someone at the station fancied keeping the prize for themselves and told the admin staff to feed you some bull to keep you happy.

A trip to Delphi and a jersey would not cost 2 grand would it?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Smells like bull to me. If the admin staff were emailed the name of the correct winner, then why did they contact you?

Sounds like someone at the station fancied keeping the prize for themselves and told the admin staff to feed you some bull to keep you happy.

I asked the same thing and they said that I was contacted for my details for the daily prize

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I wouldn't accept their first offer, I'd pay 50 euro for a solicitor to call them, then see what happens.

The Radio Station probably has a few more prizes up their sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

(OPs name)

http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/_img/chars/char_11491.jpg :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Was it a certain afternoon show hosted by a coupla Mayo lads? If so then I feel your pain. Had to practically bate a prize I won out of their promotions department last year :mad:

If I were you I'd let some low rate scandal rag know about it. They love that sort of thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Is this by any chance the Spin SW competition ?

Guill wrote: »

I love that song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

It seems the person in admin took the prize for him/herself kick up a stink
    Wheres the link to the podcast OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Contact Commission for Communication Regulation (www.comreg.ie) and ask them if they can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

phasers wrote: »
    A trip to Delphi and a jersey would not cost 2 grand would it?
    Plus the cultural aspect....:)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

IcedOut wrote: »
    Is this by any chance the Spin SW competition ?

same prize was on off the ball on newstalk a few weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Guill wrote: »

Beat me to it :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement