Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle lane or not?

Options
  • 24-11-2011 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Is the pathway from the East Gates in to the University (on the right hand side near the playing fields) a footpath, cycle lane or both?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I'll take it as both. Cycle with care.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

It's a footpath.

While saying that, since the lights at the east gate are on a sensor, they never change for a cyclist exiting the university. Also, the road isn't that wide and certain sections (such as the island in the middle of the road by the arena) make it simply dangerous for a cyclist.

As a result, a lot of cyclists will use the footpath. Personally, I'd advise a cyclist to use the footpath on the far side from the fields (on the car park side) at the east gate. It's wider and used less by people walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

It a footpath if you do cycle use the road or walk your bike on the path. As a pedestrian I have been hit by cyclist on that path a couple of times only for them to give out to me :mad:.
    Also on a side note the living bridge is a foot bridge walk your bike across it

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

cyclists should walk along that path IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Jester252 wrote:
    Also on a side note the living bridge is a foot bridge walk your bike across it

im guilty of this more than a few times:o
    normally how i handle it is that if its crowded ill get off,too unsafe to cycle anyways
    but if its clear (which it normally is on the way to training at 7 in the evening ,have never encountered more than 5 people going across it) i normally cycle slowly across it
    I did see one eejit tearing across it and nearly flying off it when he did a big swerve to try and avoid an unleashed dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

Footpath.

Its hard enough to walk on that lane with the way the water flows, without having bloody cyclists coming at you each way. Cyclists should show a bit more respect to pedestrians on that PATH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Like others have said, that path is a footpath. As a cyclist myself, it's not one I've cycled on - IMO it's too awkward to get onto. It's easier to stay on the road when I'm leaving in the evenings.

For those worried about being overtaken at the traffic islands, keep out far enough in the road that you can't be overtaken. The traffic is not going to move that much faster than bike speed anyway and you've as much right as the cars to use the road.

For safety, it's worth wearing hi-vis so you can be seen. Also keep your wits about you - I nearly got myself run over a few weeks ago because I wasn't watching the traffic.

Ultimately, the cycling support infrastructure in UL is crap so people will do what they can to get by. I'd suggest that anyone who has difficulty with cyclists in pedestrian areas complain to the SU about the lack of proper cycling infrastructure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Chimaera wrote: »
    Like others have said, that path is a footpath. As a cyclist myself, it's not one I've cycled on - IMO it's too awkward to get onto. It's easier to stay on the road when I'm leaving in the evenings.

For those worried about being overtaken at the traffic islands, keep out far enough in the road that you can't be overtaken. The traffic is not going to move that much faster than bike speed anyway and you've as much right as the cars to use the road.

For safety, it's worth wearing hi-vis so you can be seen. Also keep your wits about you - I nearly got myself run over a few weeks ago because I wasn't watching the traffic.

Ultimately, the cycling support infrastructure in UL is crap so people will do what they can to get by. I'd suggest that anyone who has difficulty with cyclists in pedestrian areas complain to the SU about the lack of proper cycling infrastructure.
    Well the SU are having a forum this afternoon so this is definitely a topic worth bringing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The answer's fairly simple. If it's a footpath, then you shouldn't be on it. Have respect for pedestrians. I am saying this from a cyclist's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

It might not seem like a big deal but it's also worth pointing out that when the path is split in two and there's a red part and a gray part, the red part only is for cycling!

This works both ways too. The gray part is only for walking and pedestrians shouldn't be walking on the red part.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been walking on the gray part and had someone cycle up behind me ringing their stupid bell!

• Advertisement

ergonomics wrote: »
    It might not seem like a big deal but it's also worth pointing out that when the path is split in two and there's a red part and a gray part, the red part only is for cycling!

This works both ways too. The gray part is only for walking and pedestrians shouldn't be walking on the red part.

I've lost count of the amount of times I've been walking on the gray part and had someone cycle up behind me ringing their stupid bell!

There is no red part on the footpath in question

I'm talking about Castletroy in general.

ergonomics wrote: »
    I'm talking about Castletroy in general.

Well then you just stated the obvious it not like they have little painting that tell how to use then :pac:

You'd think it would be obvious but apparently not :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

in a perfect world they would be easy to follow, when driver stop seeing cyclists as fellow road users and not just moving targets or someone to abuse alot less cyclists will use the footpaths

cheap shot too jester

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I deleted the irrelevant cheap shot as it added nothing to the universe.

/mod

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭brucechan

the next cyclist who rings his bell behind me on that lane will end up in the nearest ditch, followed soon after by his buckled bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,272 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

On an important note, if you cycle at night, use lights. Many a time it has been that I almost hit a cyclist while driving (my car) because I did not see them. This sort of carry on is extremely dangerous for both cyclist and driver and in the midst of a cold frosty ice-road-filled few weeks ahead I feel it is important to mention this.

Also skidding on the road, in an attempt not to hit cyclists, is ruining my tyres!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Also cyclists NEED to get off their bikes when using a crosswalk. I almost killed some idiot last night at the Dublin roundabout near Groody. I was just about to make my turn, indicators on and everything, and this dumbass just shoots across the crosswalk in front of me going full speed. No lights, no hi-vis vest, no helmet, and there would have been no life left in his body if I hadn't just barely seen him in time...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭seen2Bgreen

At the East Gates, green man comes on, a bunch of us start walking across and this idiot comes flying out from the gates on his bike and roars at us to get out his way because we're in the cycle lane. Needless to say he had to stop and get off his bike as the crowd nearly mounted him; because the bikes have to stop when the green man comes on.
    Great craic altogether. The gob****e. Made my day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement