Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't you just love the hatred?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

So you make a thread on AH about destroying Xmas for all those sweet, hungry, little children.

Little children who will no doubt be salivating while staring through frosted windows at children more fortunate than themselves enjoying gleaming new toys and a hearty Xmas dinner.

Yep. It's time for you to order the biggest Turkey in the town and go around to these 'children of the wrecked Xmas' and salvage some of what's left of your humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

While I can emphasize with being in a team where one person isn't pulling their weight and having to do something... Gloating on the Internet about it is petty.

God I cant wait to be self employed so I wont have to deal with slimy middle management types anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

The decision to deal with a colleague not pulling their weight may or may not be a good one depending upon a load of circumstances
    is it your role to speak up?
    is there a reason for the under performance?
    is it already being dealt with through an official channel?

How its dealt with raises more questions given the result appears to have generated hostility and resulted in someone losing a rank, presumably affecting their pay packet and job security which will have an impact no doubt upon their motivation and commitment. Again without hearing more its difficult to say its right or wrong as both sides will have a strong view. But the method employed appears to have caused as much harm as its done good

Posting about it on a public forum is however, bad form and NOT "managerial". It says more about the OP than it does about the demoted guy, and its not exactly complimentary.

I hope they piss in your pint at your Xmas party OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭simonmln

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

To be honest I'm a bit surprised at the responses to the the OP.

It would be interesting to see the responses if it transpired that these inept employees were working in the public sector, and spent their time pissing about on our tax monies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It would be interesting to see the responses if it transpired that these inept employees were working in the public sector, and spent their time pissing about on our tax monies!

In that case, fry 'em! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Yeah, I'm surprised at it too.

You've got three employees actively working against a company. There's a recession on and they're screwing themselves, their employers and all their co-workers over. Fair play to you, OP, for shopping them. If Ireland had more people doing that, then we wouldn't be a country of pisstakers.

On the other hand, gloating about it is pretty petty. Any good will made by doing the right things was completely undone by that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Are you guys the same ones that are constantly screaming for incompetent bankers and politicians to be sacked, demoted, hung, drawn and quartered? You should be congratulating the OP on having the balls to call a bunch of wasters on their awful performances and getting things back on track for the paying client.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Big_Evil

Hmm, though one here...this really depends on the environment. Some functional workgroups in large companies can be very clannish in their ways, and dont look at the bigger picture: i.e. winning contracts and providing goods/services or whatever to the end customer which is ultimatly revenue for the company and good times.

If this is the case here, and this particular group of people are stopping that from happening, then shop 'em !:D

If its a small business, with a small number of enployees, then there is a different set of problems that needs to be reviewed by Mgt. Interestingly, in a smaller company, for a group of 3 to act in this manner, it appears that there is a clear divide between Mgt and staff which isnt good.

One final thing: feeling that you need to look to AH to get some sort of praise or whatever for what the OP did ? Erm, not the first place I'd be looking .

OP will most likely get blasted with pi$$ at the Xmas party this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 157 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Whatever about what the demoted guy was upto, the fact that you felt the need to come on here and gloat about getting some bloke demoted is pathetic. I'm not surprised they hate you, I get the feeling I'd be on their side.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

If this was in the public service and the OP got a public servant demoted for holding up the show, would the OP still be the dick he is being portrayed as in these posts?

The guy he got demoted sounds like a prat (although we don't have his side of the story), who is needlessly causing delays for other people. Wonder what his excuse for holding back was?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Eleganza

I once lost a job because a clique of ****heads lead by one complete twisted waste of space decided how little their team which included me would produce.
    I took it up with one of them and he proceeded to make my life a misery there after.
    I was despeate to get out of the team but had nowhere to go.
    Team was fired including myself and I was thrown back on the dole which back in the mid 90's was a tiny payment compared to now.

After that I decided never to be left in the situation where I was at the mercy of wasters. I would always raise issue discreetly with the appropriate line manager and let them sort it out rather than tackling them directly. I always gave the impression that I expect professionalism from those around me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Oh Look at me!

With my job!

:mad:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Fair play to you – you saw a threat to your company’s (and all of its employees) future and you took action to reduce that threat. As a result, the “workers” and “passengers” future is clearer and an element of justice has been applied.
    As expected, there is a lot of “shoot the messenger” stuff on here, mixed with the old “I have a job, therefore I’m entitled not to work hard at it” mentality and the classic “my slackness endangers my responsibilities so it’s your job to look after MY responsibilities” but:

No-one in work, including the passengers, will ever think that they are performing less than 100%. Everyone considers their own effort to be just right and the efforts of others to be either slack or attention-seeking.

This experience will be useful to you in future job interviews but beware: there are three ways to succeed in work:
    · Be better than your colleagues;
    · Work harder than your colleagues;
    · Make it appear that you are better or that you work harder than your colleagues.
    You must be careful not to drift (or to be seen to drift) into the third method. We all remember the good stuff for milli-seconds while the bad stuff is carved into our memories for ever. Your colleagues will also comply with this rule so, although you deserve it, don’t expect thanks or respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement