Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JET Placement

Options
  • 24-11-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

Hey just in the middle of putting my fishing touches to the JET application for 2012.

I was wondering if any body here could provide some info on the various prefectures and cities.

Anywhere that you'd highly recommend or advise against?

Any info, very much appreciated :)

Comments

It depends, what kind of area would you like to live in?
    I'd say try to stay down wind of Fukushima (for obvious reasons), but other than that I don't know what to tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

On the JET program you don't have a choice of prefecture , they make you an offer and that's where you go. I would “worry” about Fukushima, if there is a school operating in the “safe zone” and the government have deemed it safe, it's then up to you to take the offer or not. You may be lucky and get an even worse place than Fukushima like being stuck on Sado Island . The only entertainment there is meeting up with Charles Jenkins .

In general, most jETS take an offer anywhere and usually fall in love with their surroundings and the people.

Your biggest worry, is your return to Ireland if you have been out of the country for more that three years. The biggest shock of all is that you may be subject to the habitual residence condition in Ireland and could be waiting up to a year for social assistance should there be no jobs here on your return.

Anyway, Positive thinking , get that form filled in and go .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Dave0301

It depends, what kind of area would you like to live in?
    I'd say try to stay down wind of Fukushima (for obvious reasons), but other than that I don't know what to tell you.

Well ideally not somewhere too remote, but I know that the majority of JET placements are rural placed. You are allowed put down three preferences on the application and was just wondering if anybody had personal experience.

Would ideally like somewhere that is not too remote and would be a good base to do some travelling around Japan when I can get time.

shindig-jp wrote: »
    On the JET program you don't have a choice of prefecture , they make you an offer and that's where you go. I would “worry” about Fukushima, if there is a school operating in the “safe zone” and the government have deemed it safe, it's then up to you to take the offer or not. You may be lucky and get an even worse place than Fukushima like being stuck on Sado Island . The only entertainment there is meeting up with Charles Jenkins .

In general, most jETS take an offer anywhere and usually fall in love with their surroundings and the people.

Your biggest worry, is your return to Ireland if you have been out of the country for more that three years. The biggest shock of all is that you may be subject to the habitual residence condition in Ireland and could be waiting up to a year for social assistance should there be no jobs here on your return.

Anyway, Positive thinking , get that form filled in and go .

Thanks for the advice :) I know that I'll be made an offer alright, just have a chance to fill out some preferences on the application and am trying to figure what is best. Ideally somewhere so it would be possible to travel around Japan during my spare time.

Yep Dave , I know about the preferences, Well if you want to know about ideal , Ideal would be knowing about being comfortable all year round. I "love" Osaka in Spring and Autumn, I "Like" Tokyo in Spring, I hate Sapporo for 6 months of the year, I hate the smell of Shimane's rotting seaweed on the beaches in summer. I hate anything on Chiba's coastline. I hate natto, I love , I hate , I love < i hate, blab blab. I love Japan . I love Ireland, I hate bogs .

• Advertisement

Dave, I don't know your field of study or your degree, Japan is a great place to free up your mind away from work and utility bills. A great place to get drunk and whore as much as you want but it's also gives more ...... if you have a passion for the study of a subject ,you will find a master of that subject in Japan. I discovered Aquascaping , the fish are just incidental to what is going on in this underwater garden.

picture.php?albumid=1916&pictureid=11332

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Nothing wrong with a bit o Sado Island!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Shimane has great beaches. Must be confusing them with those god-awful Tottori beaches!

shindig-jp wrote: »
    Dave, I don't know your field of study or your degree, Japan is a great place to free up your mind away from work and utility bills. A great place to get drunk and whore as much as you want but it's also gives more ...... if you have a passion for the study of a subject ,you will find a master of that subject in Japan. I discovered Aquascaping , the fish are just incidental to what is going on in this underwater garden.

Had a little google of aquascaping after seeing that, interesting stuff :) I would imagine it could be very relaxing and enjoyable pastime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Best of luck! It's great over here. Come visit Kanazawa, WHEN you get it (positive thinking!). There are 5 Irish JETS here, which is a huge percentage for one city!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,623 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I've lived in Yokosuka, Yokohama, Matsumoto, and finally Tokyo in my time here.

I'd put Matsumoto on top of that list. I loved the year I spent there - snow-capped peaks on all sides, and it's just a lovely city to go round.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I've lived in Kyoto, Okayama, and visited JETs in Hyogo, Shimane and Aomori.

There's virtually no point in putting down Kyoto, Osaka or Tokyo as your choice - because you're unlikely to get any of them.

If you want to do a bit of travelling, I'd suggest trying to get a prefecture with good transport connections, preferably Shinkansen. Okayama was handy for that - it meant Osaka, Kyoto or Hiroshima were little over 30 minutes away. It's also right on the inland sea, and good for access to Shokoku with all its wonderful beaches and laid-back atmosphere.

Shimane and Aomori are both well out-of-the-way, which is either great or terrible, depending on what you're looking for.

Advertisement