Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rookie Questions....

• 24-11-2011 10:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭

Hi

I've seen some great autumn pics lately and it has kinda inspired me to take up photography as a hobby.

Only problem is - i am clueless!

I plan on doing a beginners evening course to cover the essentials but I have a few questions about how expensive a hobby it is.
    Luckily there is a SLR film camera in my house that I can borrow to get up to speed. So I don't have to fork out the $$$ just yet. I don't have the model or spec right now but as far as I know it is a standard mid range camera, about 10 years old.

My questions being:
    - Is camera film expensive to buy? Mid range quality colour and b&w for example.
    - If I get the photos converted from film onto a CD, does the image quality suffer?

Apologies for the lack of basic info and knowledge :)
    Any help would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I am not a film user anymore, but films are not overly expensive the developing of them can be, plus you have to wait to see what you have taken, saying that a lot of people are still film devotees.

For me digital is the bees knees! Instant gratification so to speak, if you take a shot and you dont like it....delete....try again! You can instantly tell if you have a shot you like. As for the expense...........well yes it can be VERY expensive but if you are the type of person that likes to learn all about your camera and you learn how to get the best out of it, then maybe you will be happy to stick with what you have and not lust after the newest, bestest model or lens.

It is one of the most satisfying of hobbies and one that will stay with you a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭lc180

Thanks for the reply!

I do plan on moving to digital eventually, but I have access to a good film camera at the moment so I will make the most of that.
    Also I don't want to spend a chunk of money on a DSLR only to find out I suck at photography! hah

If anyone else has some advice that would be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭lc180

So I meant to include the camera spec....

Its a Cannon EOS 1000 FN with a 35-80mm Cannon Ultrasonic lens 1:4-5.6

Its about 20 years old but still works, I'm gonna have fun playing with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

lc180 wrote: »
    My questions being:
    - Is camera film expensive to buy? Mid range quality colour and b&w for example.

Any help would be great!

Try a PM to boards user thefizz (Peter) - he has a complete film store at his disposal and teaches the stuff on workshops.

Also worth remembering, you can pick up good deals from time to time on eBay on film.
    lc180 wrote: »
    - If I get the photos converted from film onto a CD, does the image quality suffer?

I think yes, but if you get a reasonable scan done, it will be a case of whether it will ever be noticeable or not - mostly you won't unless you are going to enlarge from the scan to half the size of liberty hall.

Unsurprisingly, amazing imagery gets produced from/on film. It has a quality and aesthetic which you don't get from digital.

Good luck with it.

Advertisement