Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The famous coke lorry comes to Donegal!

Options
  • 24-11-2011 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

Yip the title is right it's coming to the Inishowen Gateway in Buncranna on Friday the 2nd of December @6pm. Something to bring the kids to (well that can be your excuse) a great photo opp too (which is my excuse :P).

I think everyone remembers the ad's, that's usually when I used to get excited about Christmas when I was younger. Hopefully it won't be a letdown!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Well at least it's in December. If it had been in November I would have gone just to run him out of town!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Me and the wife just had a shared moment at the idea of seeing the coke lorry in person.

Someone on my facebook said about it coming to Letterkenny, though I can't find any sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Drug trafficking should not be advertised here on boards. :D
    To be honest i half expected this to be locked when i saw the title.

That advert has been on tv since the first week of Nov, it used to get myself and my younger brother all excited at the thought of Christmas when we were little.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

I thought this was about a coke lorry gritting the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

thats an expensive gritting material!

would be nice if it made it to letterkenny, Buncrana is just that wee bit to far away

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

I'd be a bit surprised if it was that close and didn't come to Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Are there any more stops for this yock?
    http://www.cokezone.ie/home/assets/xmas11/trucktour.jsp
    Doesn't mention Buncrana

irish1967 wrote: »
    Are there any more stops for this yock?
    http://www.cokezone.ie/home/assets/xmas11/trucktour.jsp
    Doesn't mention Buncrana

ah good to see it doesn't miss any big geographical areas, ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Yeah I initially seen it was visiting Ireland is a thread on the Christmas forum, and made that same comment as you on that thread Dannie. I thought it was a bit of a cop out when I seen them only going to 4 places, with no details of travelling times ect, as it would have been nice to only see them in convoy going down the road.

But it was in last weeks Inis times newspaper, saying that the gateway had managed to get "a" lorry (not the whole convoy like the 4 main places) to visit them, I've since heard that they are having to pay handsomely for it too.

It's actually the arrival of santa to the grotto that they have in the hotel. The man himself and Disney character's are arriving on the lorry at 6pm.

link to hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,587 ✭✭✭Penfailed

From the Gateways Facebook page -

NOTICE REGARDING SANTA'S KINGDOM'S OPENING 2ND DECEMBER
    The lorry bringing Santa to Santa's Kindgom at the Inishowen Gateway Hotel is not the COCA COLA LORRY.It is a opensided lorry with the Disney Characters and Santa on board. This will be a truly exciting event for children!!!! Please share out comment!!!!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement

Penfailed wrote: »
    From the Gateways Facebook page -

NOTICE REGARDING SANTA'S KINGDOM'S OPENING 2ND DECEMBER
    The lorry bringing Santa to Santa's Kindgom at the Inishowen Gateway Hotel is not the COCA COLA LORRY.It is a opensided lorry with the Disney Characters and Santa on board. This will be a truly exciting event for children!!!! Please share out comment!!!!

Well thats some joke, the Inis times ran with a big story about this saying it was a big scoop for the area, Donegal Now (an online news crowd ran by the letterkenny post) also have a page up saying the same.... link

Thats some cop out IMO....

Absolutely shameful false advertising on their part, and I hope their business suffers for it.

Here's the original ad they ran as well, rather than just after reports from news sites.

Flibbles wrote: »
    Absolutely shameful false advertising on their part, and I hope their business suffers for it.

Here's the original ad they ran as well, rather than just after reports from news sites.

Was just about to post that, people rightly giving off stink on their facebook page, some saying kids had cut out the ad from the paper and stuck it to the fridge :mad:

I can see myself being banned from the hotel now for posting up the complaints page :P

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

well thats some let down :mad::mad:
    hope everyone boycotts the whole thing

What's next ... Oh it'll be Budweiser's famous Shetland Ponies ! :( or maybe a sock from comparethemeerkat.com

I think this sums it up nicely
    1125-coca-cola-truck-funny-car.jpg

They apologised on Highland this morning. This is the latest from their Facebook -

A spokes person for the Hotel gave a response to the public on the Shaun Doherty Show on Highland Radio this morning. There was no malicious intent involved in our advertising campaign. We were misled as to the resemblance this lorry had to the original Coca Cola Lorry. It is unfortunate that adults fell so let down by a children’s event. This event was intended to bring a bit of CHRISTMAS SPIRIT to the children of Buncrana. Santa & the Disney Characters will be here. Scoil Iosagain Children’s choir are performing and light refreshments will be served complimentary in the Lisfannon Suite. This event was and is a FREE EVENT!!!!!
    Our GROTTO will be opened for anyone who Wishes to attend. €8 per child for a photo & present.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It wasn't just the adults who were left disappointed by this, looking at the other facebook comment's there's lots of disapointed kids too!

That reply by them seems very cheeky if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Listened to it this morning on the radio, and I'd say any blame lies with the guy who offered the truck, not that lady who booked him. Either that or the idiot who made up the posters with 'that' famous Coca Cola vehicle on them.

It wasn't just the adults who were left disappointed by this, looking at the other facebook comment's there's lots of disapointed kids too!

That reply by them seems very cheeky if you ask me.

I think a better word would be condescending. It's like they are saying calm down what's the big deal. :(

• Advertisement

I think a better word would be condescending. It's like they are saying calm down what's the big deal. :(

That's the word I was looking for :)

Your right too, they are trying to make it look like no big deal. If it wasn't their fault fair enough but to try and totally wash their hand of it and say but someone else told us what can we do. Well for starters then can wait until it's confirmed before printing fliers and places ad's in the papers.

It's not the end of the world but still very disappointing (for both kids and adults)...

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Holidays are coming.....Holidays are coming......they may well be but your Coca Cola lorry is not. :mad:

Penfailed wrote: »
    They apologised on Highland this morning. This is the latest from their Facebook -

A spokes person for the Hotel gave a response to the public on the Shaun Doherty Show on Highland Radio this morning. There was no malicious intent involved in our advertising campaign. We were misled as to the resemblance this lorry had to the original Coca Cola Lorry. It is unfortunate that adults fell so let down by a children’s event. This event was intended to bring a bit of CHRISTMAS SPIRIT to the children of Buncrana. Santa & the Disney Characters will be here. Scoil Iosagain Children’s choir are performing and light refreshments will be served complimentary in the Lisfannon Suite. This event was and is a FREE EVENT!!!!!
    Our GROTTO will be opened for anyone who Wishes to attend. €8 per child for a photo & present.

did you copy that statement from a website?

if so you'd think they'd proof read it first

spokes person = spokesperson
    that adults fell so let = that adults feel so let

i won't comment on the spacing though, that could be formatting.

just reminds me of a certain online paper for not checking the basic things in something that is fairly important. seems very rushed and that they couldn't geive a flying f**k.

Like RIM and Sony, ah sure just throw something up saying oops and that that'll do

Well ? Anyone hear any reports on last night ?

danniemcq wrote: »
    did you copy that statement from a website?

Yeah, their Facebook page.
    Well ? Anyone hear any reports on last night ?

It looked busy as I was driving past. I saw the lorry they used - a bog standard red artic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

Apparently it was a replica lorry, im not sure, just saying what i heard. I could see the lights off the lorry as it came into the town, but from a distance. Anyway, if it looks really similar, what does it matter, most people wouldnt knwo the difference, is it not fun for the kids either way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Count yourselves lucky that this didn't happen!

The lights didn't even work and then the Santa was horrible to make it even worse!

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/287050/Tearful-Brooke-has-no-truck-with-bad-Santa

Fracture wrote: »
    Apparently it was a replica lorry, im not sure, just saying what i heard. I could see the lights off the lorry as it came into the town, but from a distance. Anyway, if it looks really similar, what does it matter, most people wouldnt knwo the difference, is it not fun for the kids either way?

Good on ya, blindly come into a thread and post without reading the other posts.

No it wasn't a replica lorry, It was an ordinary lorry with an ordinary curtain trailer with the curtains open. The only resemblance to the Coca cola lorry was the colour, it was red. To be honest I find it insulting that you'd think that "most people wouldn't know the difference", seriously do you think most people cannot tell the difference between this lorry and this lorry?

I was going to bring 2 kids (12 +5) and 2 adults and myself to go and see the coca cola lorry in Belfast, the kids (and us) were really looking forward to it, but when the gateway announced that they had the legendary coca cola lorry coming we decided not to go to Belfast, what was the point. You can Imagine the disappointment when I had to tell them we weren't going to see the coca cola lorry after over a month of build up too it. There were a good few people in the same boat as me too. So yes it is all about the kid's fun but the gateway spoiled the kids fun this time around.

Like I said if it wasn't their fault fair enough but their response of "ah it'll be grand" and less than satisfactory replies like the one a few posts ago don't help their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fracture wrote: »
    Anyway, if it looks really similar, what does it matter, most people wouldnt knwo the difference, is it not fun for the kids either way?
    Thats a ridiculous comment to make. I'm assuming you dont have kids.

• Advertisement

Study this picture of the Budweiser horses carefully.... Most people won't know the difference ... Can you tell the difference ??
    ef151892.jpg

Advertisement