Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padlocks on Ha Penny Bridge

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about the padlocks hanging on the Ha Penny Bridge. Some times there are loads, and other times none.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

There are a few on the Millenium bridge too. They seem to have initials and a date on them, I know there is a Polish tradition of doing that when people get married. Could be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Could be an eastern european thing. Visited Riga in Latvia a few years back and there was a bridge in a park where newly weds put locks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Ah no, don't tell me people have started doing that shite here :(

It's a lovely idea and all but the Ha'penny Bridge is beautiful enough without people messing it up with their padlocks and starting traditions that took off elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭seandeas

It's for couples. I first saw it in Paris a few years ago where there were millions of the attached to the railings on a bridge. The idea is you lock the padlock and throw the key into the river and your love will last forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Definitely not the bridge for it. Saw it on a railway bridge in Koln

4861455411_6645ce8c7e_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Brass and steel are fetching good prices these days...time to invest in a set of boltcutters

• Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

seandeas wrote: »
    The idea is you lock the padlock and throw the key into the river and your love will last forever.
    ...while keeping the second key in a safe place in case things go pear-shaped. :D

Maybe they are chastity belt locks that are no longer needed?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

seandeas wrote: »
    It's for couples. I first saw it in Paris a few years ago where there were millions of the attached to the railings on a bridge. The idea is you lock the padlock and throw the key into the river and your love will last forever.
    Wertz wrote: »
    Brass and steel are fetching good prices these days...time to invest in a set of boltcutters
    Esel wrote: »
    ...while keeping the second key in a safe place in case things go pear-shaped. :D

Maybe they are chastity belt locks that are no longer needed?

You'll see them at loads of 'sacred' tourist sites in China too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Never heard of this 'tradition', faskinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_padlocks

They are love padlocks. Couples put the date and their initials on the lock and throw the keys into the rivet forever. It symbolises that their love is forever I guess. The tradition comes from the book "I want you". It has been a problem in other cities as well particularly The Pont des Arts in paris.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8679132.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Rodger_Muir

Never heard of this 'tradition', faskinating.

Its bizzare isnt it. But makes a awful eyesore.

Was on the bridge last night and had a look, there are quite a few more than I expected...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Interesting, certainly nothing I'm going to get my knickers in a twist about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

It's a nice enough idea, I suppose. But just not on the Ha'penny bridge. It's a lovely old bridge and it doesn't need to be defaced in this way. Hopefully the council or someone will cut them down.

saa wrote: »
    Interesting, certainly nothing I'm going to get my knickers in a twist about.

So we should just build a bridge and get over it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Dey tuk or... bridges!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I saw loads of them in Budapest, all over the place.

Cute and all, but leave the poor Ha'penny bridge alone.

BC3A8AEF1D6743979FD895F97480085D-0000318671-0002045923-00799L-AA354BB52F0646DB8F26F2BB8BCE5360.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Newly weds do that in lithuania and then the groom has to carry the bride over the bridge can imagine the abuse a couple would get doing that in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

neris wrote: »
    Newly weds do that in lithuania and then the groom has to carry the bride over the bridge can imagine the abuse a couple would get doing that in dublin

Whilst being asked for spare change a couple of time :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

There's one by the Trevi Fountain in Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I saw loads of them in Budapest, all over the place.

Cute and all, but leave the poor Ha'penny bridge alone.

BC3A8AEF1D6743979FD895F97480085D-0000318671-0002045923-00799L-AA354BB52F0646DB8F26F2BB8BCE5360.jpg

Tony & mette above must have a little baby as they have a little lock attached to there's. Wonder is her/his name goldie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Anyone know anything about the padlocks hanging on the Ha Penny Bridge. Some times there are loads, and other times none.

italians do it as sign of love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's a lovely old bridge and it doesn't need to be defaced in this way. Hopefully the council or someone will cut them down.

And that's what DCC have done today.

http://www.thejournal.ie/wheres-the-love-council-removes-love-padlocks-from-dublins-hapenny-bridge-327300-Jan2012/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Fair play DCC. A chubb lock with names scrawled in marker pen is a eyesore, and not particularly romantic to boot. I see the lock in the photo had 'liam' as the fellas name, i don't think we can blame the furrrrinners for this one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭LLU

god they look crap. bloody skangers again, guess its cheaper than getting a tattoo.

That's a shame, I quite enjoyed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

WindSock wrote: »
    Ah no, don't tell me people have started doing that shite here :(

It's a lovely idea and all but the Ha'penny Bridge is beautiful enough without people messing it up with their padlocks and starting traditions that took off elsewhere.

Wanton Vandalism.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

LLU wrote: »
    god they look crap. bloody skangers again, guess its cheaper than getting a tattoo.

a few locks on a bridge its hardly the end of the world

i dont personally see the problem,if there was a genuine reason for removing them other than "it doesnt look good" then fair enough, like if thousands of them were causin the bridge to warp or buckle or something affecting the structure.. its certainly not as bad as graffiti or rubbish on the streets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cut the ball locks off them, I say. Harrumph!

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement