Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkey Fryer

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hope im in the right place. I have been looking for a Turkey Fryer and all the bits and bobs that go with it.

I have found units in the US but the postage is crazy. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The US is the place for them.
    Do you know anyone who could bring one back for you?
    The metal fryer is the heavy part, all the rest is fairly lightweight aluminum on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭bikerjohn

LeBash wrote: »
    Hi,

Hope im in the right place. I have been looking for a Turkey Fryer and all the bits and bobs that go with it.

I have found units in the US but the postage is crazy. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Just buy a big pot and get one of the gas rings that work men use to to boil water on, they can be got in a good hardware shop :D

Heres one on ebay

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/SINGLE-CAST-IRON-GAS-BOILING-RING-LPG-CATERING-/130603104858?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item1e688d3a5a

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

it's simple enough to do without buying too much expensive stuff and most of it can be gotten here in ireland without too much hassle, you just find a big pot that is big enough to hold your turkey with some room to manoeuvre it.

it may be worth mentioning to ONLY do this outside, on a solid surface that you don't mind getting burnt or stained with oil, well away from anything potentially flammable.

a find that a decent sized piece of chipboard out on the grass is just about ideal, with a few pieces of wood under it to make sure it's both level and stable.

make sure there is a clear path inside the bird from the neck end to the backside so the liquid can get inside easily, then put the turkey in the pot (with the leg joints sticking up, so neck down) and fill it with water until the bird is completely covered by about an inch.

now remove the turkey and dry it thoroughly inside and out and either mark the water level on the pot or pour the water into a large jug and measure how much water was in the pot and you have the amount of oil you need to add to the pot to cover the bird when it's frying.

this would be the point when a lot of americans would be smothering the bird in cajun spices or something along those lines, but i like mine au natural, so choose your poison. :)

next heat up the required amount of oil (peanut/groundnut oil is best, easy to find in asian supermarkets) in the pot over a large sized butane camping stove until it get to 350F (175C) and then turn off the stove completely once it is up to the right temp. obviously you'll need a reliable cooking thermometer that you can comfortably get into the oil to measure the temps accurately.

you can use a meat thermometer and a wire coat hanger with a loop at the bottom end and a hook at the top end to go over the edge of the pot to suspend it in the oil before the bird is in, and jut put another bend in in so you can still suspend it into the oil once the turkey is in the pot and cooking.

you'll need something to safely lower the bird (slowly) into the oil, my personal favourite would be a medium sized free standing step ladder (the sort shaped like this-> /\ ) and a rope & pulley with a large hook (or a couple of smaller ones) to dangle the bird from, coat hanger wire works well, but if you can find a stainless steel hook it would probably be better (and food safe) to use, piercing the meat far enough down that it will hand vertically and easily take it's own weight as you lower it in and lift it out, after cooking.

using this method, you can secure the ladder with camping pegs and rope to allow you to stay well away from the pot as you (very gently and slowly) lower the bird in, just in case of an accident. i don't know about you, but i don't fancy getting in the middle of a grease fire. :(

as you lower the bird in, you'll find out exactly how well you dried it off and it will spit and bubble up the oil to some degree, but hopefully if you did the drying part right, not too much. slowly lower it in a bit at a time to allow any leftover water to gradually boil off without getting the oil too excited and causing it to bubble over.

cooking times should be around 3.5 minutes per lb at 350F, or slightly longer if you like a really crispy bird. as a rule of thumb, a smaller (12-16lb) bird will be better as the overall cooking time will be less which will stop the outside from getting overcooked before the breast meat is fully cooked.

once the bird is all the way in, tie off the rope and turn the gas back on to bring it back up to 350F, then lower the gas enough to hold that temp for the remainder of your cooking time, remembering to NEVER leave it unattended.

once the cooking time is up, turn off the gas again before you remove the bird, then slowly lift it out and give it a couple of minutes for the oil to drain out of it and back into the pot completely.

i find the easiest way to lower the turkey into a tray to carry it inside is to have someone hold the ladder whilst you remove the tent pegs and then (making sure it's well above the pot) slowly tilt the ladder to one side so that the turkey swings over and away from the pot and down into the tray, so you don't end up knocking anything over. then you can take it inside and serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

gas ring with a metal bucket and a big hook to take it out. outside ofc. seen it on come dine with me a few weeks back

Advertisement