Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychology/Journalism career

Options
  • 24-11-2011 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Right. so i am really interesting in doing psychology with a language next year in college,
    (whether it is through arts or straight psychology) I dont want to be a 'psychologist' per say but it's an area that really interests me and i'd love to study it.

I also love the idea of journalism and media but I figured if I wanted to be a journalist I should
    do a broader degree first rather than channeling myself to just journalism so early on. i'd come out
    of college with the ability and skill of writing but nothing to write about!

i was thinking of doing a psychology degree and then progressing into journalism/media from there.

If anyone in the psychology/media side of things could give me any advice on the subject it'd be greatly appreciated :)

Merci, A

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

You can combine Psychology and Media in the BA programme in Mary Immaculate College, Limerick. www.mic.ul.ie.

That would give you a taster of both in your undergraduate degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

I know this may be what youre already thinking but heres my 2 cents.

a straight up degree in psychology can be fine, there are plenty of people who work in the media who come from a psychology background, my partner did a degree in journalism and it really does not provide you with any guarantees, if your writing is strong and you build up contacts and experience as a writer and commentator you can build up a part time role in journalism.

A combined course sounds great but its not the only way, I know people from a straight up course who have diversified into different cultural or creative areas with contacts and experience alone .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

How long would it take to become a Criminal Psychologist? I've heard it's around 10 years? It seems a very long time. Also, any idea of salary and what the job prospects are like? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 life after school

Contact the Psychological Society of Ireland at
    http://www.psihq.ie
    http://www.psihq.ie/contact.asp
    A phone call may be best.

According to their website there is no course in forensic or criminal psychology in Ireland but you need a undergraduate degree in psychology first anyway and that of course you can do here.

UCC has a research programme in forensic psychology which may be a follow on from a undergraduate degree. It might be worth speaking directly with them.

http://www.ucc.ie/en/forensic/

Either of these groups would be in a better position to tell you about job prospects and salary

Advertisement