Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindle Fire

• 25-11-2011 12:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭

Very quick question - as I feel I'll be put in right direction fairly swiftly!!
    I am interested in getting a kindle for the other half. Been doing a little research online and have come across the Kindle Fire - which I believe is like a alternative version of I Pad??

Anyway, i'm also reading alot that its not yet available in Ireland / Eurpope yet...however I came across it on the following site

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=14879&setcurrency=eur

and it would appear that I can check out although I haven't actually purchased it yet....

So whats the story?? Can I buy it from here or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

I've been looking for one of these bad boys for a while now. I'd be very interested to see if anyone has purchased one off of this site. Looks like it should be no problem to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

right - i've checked out and paid for it!! We'll see, i guess it will either arrive at my house or i'll get an email saying it was some sort of mix up and I'll get refunded. will keep you posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

This is listed as euro219.95 but the kindle is $199 dollars at amazon.com. I bought mine which was shipped to my brother in the US who is mailing it to me as we speak and it cost me euro150.32 (from my credit card statement) so you're paying circa euro70 extra from a dodgy looking site that is selling a product Amazon is selling to US customers only.

Epic Fail methinks.

This is listed as euro219.95 but the kindle is $199 dollars at amazon.com. I bought mine which was shipped to my brother in the US who is mailing it to me as we speak and it cost me euro150.32 (from my credit card statement) so you're paying circa euro70 extra from a dodgy looking site that is selling a product Amazon is selling to US customers only.

Epic Fail methinks.

why do you say the site looks dodgy ? do you not think that I did a little research on the website itself ....I did and in fact I got very positive reviews .

Paid for using paypal account too so would imagine I'd have some comeback with them should the deal turn sour. Which I don't think it will. I'm more expecting for an email to say there was some error and I shouldn't have been allowed to check out.

So please, hold on to your epic fail just for a while longer until I've at least had time to report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gadhafi

If I were to import the fire, would there be any difficulties accessing and purchasing content from amazon's music store, app store etc etc ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

As their is no Amazon Android app store in Europe yet so you will have to use the US store. you can use an Irish credit card on the amazon.com site but im not sure if you can purchase from the kindle fire app store, I know on my android phone I couldn't buy from the amazon.com app store with valid details.

I have a fire in work but haven't accessed the store with my personal account so cant confirm this yet but if it's like using the amazon.com app android store you wont be able to purchase from it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The Register have done a review of it:
    http://www.reghardware.com/2011/11/25/review_amazon_kindle_fire_tablet_ebook_reader/

You can buy books via the browser, you cannot buy any apps or other content on it though. I think it even said that just copying across your own video files was a bit of a chore.

Good cheap device, but probably not worth the bother outside of the US until they actually come up with international access to the store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Well OP did you get your Fire in the end?

statto25 wrote: »
    Well OP did you get your Fire in the end?

It arrived today by DHL!! I haven't been able to start it up as best not to do that while the other half is aroound, although they are popping out later so will defo do it then.

So i got an email the morning after i purchased it and i was given a DHL tracking number and I could see that the origin of the consignment was in Bath in England! So not sure what the craic is, but hey I got it and i'm delighted!!

No pestering relatives in the US to ship me something that might or might not be caught at customs!!

Hopefully now it will work!! will report back

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackos2500

Hi,
    I'm VERY excited about this, Kindle Fire in Ireland! Just wondering though, when you report back, what will work and what won't? I've heard that cloud sync doesn't work... but which part? e.g. music, video. Also wondering about root too. Here is a guide to root the Fire and get Market for Android. But I heard that an update came today blocking that... It's very vague...

• Advertisement

i've had about 1 hour on the Kindle, the max time I could spend without being caught out...it is after all a x-mas pressie. So its back inthe box now under the bed..ha ha

As far as I can see I cannot purchase any app from the Amazon kindle store. Thats not to say I can't install an android app, just not the ones listed in the kindle fire store, as it says its not available in my region. Which is a pity but sure.

I can however, browse the internet. I connected it by Wifi to my eircom broadband and at first it seemed slow. But now its fine. So maybe that was just a start up thing. I went onto a site that I normally watch TV series on and that worked fine - no lagging issues at all. The only thing it wouldn't let me make the screen full size, so i could still see the menu bar at the top. But no biggie. Very good resolution and sound is great. It has 2 little speaker that sit onthe very top of the kindle and they give out good sound. No direct buttons on the Kindle fire to adjust volume up or down, but its litterally just a click away, -> settings - volume +/-

The on/off button located on the bottom, I can see how ppl might hit this by accident, but once you know where it is its fine. I hit it once and then when I realised what I'd done I haven't since.

I purchased a book from amazon.com, kindle edition, and it downloaded in a matter of seconds. Great!

I also subscribed to a couple of US magazines, and again they downloaded instantly.

The carousel feature at the home screen is a little strange alright, but then again once you get used to it its ok. YOu have a carousel to all the content you have on your kindle and beneath the carousel you can put your favourite items for you to have easy access to.

I'm not at all familiar yet with the 'synching cloud' thing yet. I understand anything i purchase through amazon.com is available on the cloud as well as my device but its nice to have access to it in case I ever needed to reset and clear everything - all my content is still on available on 'cloud'.

I'll see how much more I can get through and report back.

At the moment though its fulfilling its initial requirement which is to allow me (or the other half I should say!) to download and read books. There are obviously thousands to choose from through Amazon.com.

As a bonus, I can surf online, watch tv shows, movies etc. Nice to be able to do as our laptop takes about 2/3 mins just to boot up!!

Can access email, facebook, youTube etc etc. All the stuff you'd expect.

I haven't tried to put any music on it as its not really mine to do that, so will wait and see how that works out post X-mas!

All in all , i'm delighted. I got it even though everywhere I read said it wasn't available to purchase in Ireland and also it didn't cost me that much more. Direct to my door, in 4 days. No extra Taxes, no customs.
    Pretty good going I reckon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

http://www.youtube.com/kindlefirewire/

This guy seems to be well ahead and his info makes the Fire even more attractive ,

To speed up browsing just disable accelerated browsing ! It works

I got it via my sister in Philadelphia and postage via USPS whick took a week was only $16 (it's Light in shipping terms)

galait wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/kindlefirewire/

This guy seems to be well ahead and his info makes the Fire even more attractive ,

To speed up browsing just disable accelerated browsing ! It works

I got it via my sister in Philadelphia and postage via USPS whick took a week was only $16 (it's Light in shipping terms)

will defo be installing that! Looks great - thanks for info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

Epic Fail methinks.

You must have gotten some special exchange rate then that the rest of us aren't subject to!!

It's $199 + tax. Average tax % is about 7% so add another $14. That's $213. So you had to have an exchange rate of 1.41 to come in at what you claim it cost - The rate hasn't gone over 1.35281 (which you won't actually get as we all know) since the Kindle Fire went on sale. So in reality it was $213 / 1.34 (being generous here!) = €159.

Now add on your shipping costs. The basic rate for a letter on USPS is $11 Therefore you are at $223 (very conservative estimate as it would be more for a package) which is €166 euros using the same rate.

You could easily add on another tennar here too as I was being very conservative and in reality it was probably even more!

EPIC Fail at Spoofing!

*Edit* and I never factored in the cost of Amazon shipping it to your brother and not to mention the higher risk of Customs getting their hands on it!!

shinny wrote: »
    You must have gotten some special exchange rate then that the rest of us aren't subject to!!

It's $199 + tax. Average tax % is about 7% so add another $14. That's $213. So you had to have an exchange rate of 1.41 to come in at what you claim it cost - The rate hasn't gone over 1.35281 (which you won't actually get as we all know) since the Kindle Fire went on sale. So in reality it was $213 / 1.34 (being generous here!) = €159.

Now add on your shipping costs. The basic rate for a letter on USPS is $11 Therefore you are at $223 (very conservative estimate as it would be more for a package) which is €166 euros using the same rate.

You could easily add on another tennar here too as I was being very conservative and in reality it was probably even more!

EPIC Fail at Spoofing!

*Edit* and I never factored in the cost of Amazon shipping it to your brother and not to mention the higher risk of Customs getting their hands on it!!

Real World Example

Cost of Kindle + $3.99 next day prime delivery was $202.99 , Which converted to €153.16 on my credit card statement

My sister simply brought it to the local post office and it cost $16.76 (€12.44) to post via USPS and it took exactly a week to arrive in the original Kindle Fire Packaging ! , €165.60 which XE.com says is $222.84

She sends stuff all the time (I have been buying stuff on Amazon.com since 1998 all delivered to her address and she either sends it on or I pick the stuff when we visit) and never ever had to pay duty (Loads of Laptop's etc and even a Dewalt 18V Impact Driver)

Real World Example

Cost of Kindle + $3.99 next day prime delivery was $202.99 , Which converted to €153.16 on my credit card statement

My sister simply brought it to the local post office and it cost $16.76 (€12.44) to post via USPS and it took exactly a week to arrive in the original Kindle Fire Packaging ! , €165.60 which XE.com says is $222.84

She sends stuff all the time (I have been buying stuff on Amazon.com since 1998 all delivered to her address and she either sends it on or I pick the stuff when we visit) and never ever had to pay duty (Loads of Laptop's etc and even a Dewalt 18V Impact Driver)

So not far off my guesstimate. But, as I said, I was conservative with postage and hadn't included the amazon postal cost. Tell me, how did you avoid tax?

Yeah, that was more of a gentle jibe at Carter. I've gotten stuff sent over myself but you do take a chance. I was stung once.....

So not far off my guesstimate. But, as I said, I was conservative with postage and hadn't included the amazon postal cost. Tell me, how did you avoid tax?

Yeah, that was more of a gentle jibe at Carter. I've gotten stuff sent over myself but you do take a chance. I was stung once.....

Amazon never add tax , Also posting using USPS and marking as a gift will in my experience never attract import duty etc.

Amazon never add tax , Also posting using USPS and marking as a gift will in my experience never attract import duty etc.

Really? Anytime I've sent it to a US address and they ask for a Postal Address it automatically adds on Tax. See screenshot attached:

Amazon1.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've enojyed my kindle fire for a few weeks now.

The User interface is awkward, verging on nasty and unpleasant. The main page makes no sense with its carousel of your usage history dominating.

But I expect they'll update it sometime.

And you're not missing too much with the Amazon App store, its pretty thin right now and it'll be awhile before its bulked out. Alot of the available apps are designed for phones with much smaller screens so when you see them on the Fire the resolution is wrong.

It seeems to take an age to recharge as well.

Otherwise I love it. Its a handy little portable browser and the size is just perfect.

Ok so i've since rooted the fire. Then I re-rooted it and installed android market. Its working great now. I've also loaded ice cream sandwich launcher and I now have a fairly nifty android tablet!

Rooting it was fairly straight forward, but getting the market was a little more tricky, i got there in the end with the help of ...kindlefirewire.com.

So once you get the android market on it you can install all your favourite apps without being re-stricted by the amazon app store - which didn't work for me as Non US users don't have access to the store at all.

As regards the forced update thats coming, i'll just have to wait and see what happens. Some people are reporting that superoneclick user allows you to gain access again, however market will be removed but all downloaded apps remain. I'll wait it out and see waht the craic is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

seaner wrote: »
    Ok so i've since rooted the fire. Then I re-rooted it and installed android market. Its working great now. I've also loaded ice cream sandwich launcher and I now have a fairly nifty android tablet!

Rooting it was fairly straight forward, but getting the market was a little more tricky, i got there in the end with the help of ...kindlefirewire.com.

So once you get the android market on it you can install all your favourite apps without being re-stricted by the amazon app store - which didn't work for me as Non US users don't have access to the store at all.

As regards the forced update thats coming, i'll just have to wait and see what happens. Some people are reporting that superoneclick user allows you to gain access again, however market will be removed but all downloaded apps remain. I'll wait it out and see waht the craic is.

Nice. Well done.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    seaner wrote: »

Nice. Well done.

I have to agree, I have done the same and also installed Slingplayer,Tunein Radio Pro and Spotify and all work great

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So folks as of right now is it worth grabbing one of these considering the limitations getting apps in ireland?

EPIC Fail at Spoofing!

NO spoofing

No tax was added, and shipping was free, Attached is a screenshhot of my e-mail reciept

It cost my brother just shy of 20 dollars to ship so it cost me 219 dollars

Quick oanda check 162.72 euro delivered

183670.JPG

NO spoofing

No tax was added, and shipping was free, Attached is a screenshhot of my e-mail reciept

It cost my brother just shy of 20 dollars to ship so it cost me 219 dollars

Quick oanda check 162.72 euro delivered

183670.JPG

Ok, so this has bugged me why some where not getting charged tax.

And this is why (from Amazon)
    Companies selling over the Internet are subject to the same sales tax collection requirements as any other retailers. Remote sellers (including Internet retailers and catalog companies) are generally required to collect taxes where they have a physical selling presence. If they do not have any such presence, they are not required to collect sales taxes.
    Orders shipped to destinations in the states of Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, or Washington are subject to tax

Good to know! Will have to hit up my friend in Florida from now on so ;-)

I just got mine in the post, Lovely kit, My bro took it all out of teh origional package and put the cover on and shippeit as a gift so no duty paid.

Its installing an update which I presume is this now anti -root stuff but Its a beautiful piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

can't decide on this or the galaxy 10.1 tab.

fairly small storage on it, and you can't play avi files - have to convert them first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Newtown Warrior

Cheers for the post, I ordered one on the back of it. I am just wondering did they come with a UK/US adapter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭pippam

Stay away from SimplyElectronics.net

It's a Chinese seller. Really bad reviews online claiming that it's a scam, just google them.

• Advertisement

the kindle fire is coming to amazon.co.uk in january 2012 :) so just wait hopefully ireland can download uk apps

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/24887-amazon-kindle-fire-coming/

Advertisement