Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of taking up Krav Maga

Options
  • 25-11-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

I'm a 16 year old lad, and I'm thinking of taking up Krav Maga for defence purposes mainly. Just wondering if anyone knows of any classes on in the Rathcoole/Celbridge/Lucan area? Also, just looking for some feedback from people who do it? Or even any suggestions as to something else I should take up instead? Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Try MMA or a striking art like muay thai or boxing. Krav Maga seems like a bit of a scam from what I've seen of it although I've never taken part in it myself. I've seen it demoed though and it looked kind of phony, like it was bad pro wrestling or something. I might be wrong though, so don't take my word on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 casper69

OP, not sure about KM, but if you're in the Celbridge area the Mill has a good selection of MA.

There is Kempo Karate, Judo, Bushido kick boxing and a Bujinkan club as well as a Boxing club. There is Tai Chi as well but probably not what you're looking for.

There is a Tae Kwon Do club training out of one of the local schools also.

(Sorry to anyone else training in Celbridge that I missed.)

Hope that's of some help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm not sure if there's any KM in around your area OP.

Regards being a scam - that was certainly true when there was just a few Irish guys instructing and charging a fortune a few years back, but then a few east Europeans started up clubs at realistic prices and by all accounts they've been very good, and enjoyable.

OP, there really isn't anything magical about Krav Maga - when the Israeli's want you dead they're not going to judo chop you to death, they're gonna send a big, bad ass helicopter gunship to your door.

Someone suggested The Mill, only club I know there is Valery's Judo club and I can't stress enough how good this club and Val are.

I've done doorwork with Val and have trained under him, he's also got a Sambo background - his coaching is amazing.

Good luck with the Krav, and lets us know how you get along with it - the forum is always interested in getting feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭silat liam

Hi

We have a Combat Silat - Eskrima club in Lucan, and we just move into a great new training venue at Lucan East Educate Together School Gym. Classes every tuesday at 7.30pm. We train the main ranges of combat ( Striking, Grappling, Ground fighting, alongside blade defences. Check out our facebook page or website/blog for more details. If you like to try it, let me know and I look after you.

Best of Luck with search.
    Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Richy06 wrote: »
    Try MMA or a striking art like muay thai or boxing. Krav Maga seems like a bit of a scam from what I've seen of it although I've never taken part in it myself. I've seen it demoed though and it looked kind of phony, like it was bad pro wrestling or something. I might be wrong though, so don't take my word on it!

Not sure if it's a scam per say; I mean the techniques like eye gouging/headbutting/groin strikes etc etc would certainly be very effective in a defense situation, the problem is you can't really drill any of those things against a sparring partner. Without practicing techniques at, or near full force and against a resisting opponent, they arent likely to be you're first reaction if you get attacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 jnjc

READ THE STICKIES BEFORE POSTING AGAIN PLEASE.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement