Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arcadia to close 260 stores.....!!!

• 25-11-2011 12:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Just seen this reported on Sky...
    Arcadia, the giant behind stores such as Topshop & miss selfridge are to close 260 of their stores....
    I wonder how many of their irish stores will make up these numbers...

I cant help feeling we have a long way to fall yet.
    There really is no telling as to how bad things will become here..
    Looks like the high street brands are starting to make up their minds on where we're headed..:eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I'm not surprised. Their shops are tack!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Crap and overpriced anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Next!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Aw crap, my Mam works in an Arcadia shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Topshop is muck. Haven't set foot in Miss Selfridge since the mid 90s.

Good news

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

uh oh. I think a lot of businesses are just hanging in there until christmas anyway for the few bob thats there to get. Come january, all bets are off. brains, crack, goo, time, feast etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

mojesius wrote: »
    Topshop is muck. Haven't set foot in Miss Selfridge since the mid 90s.

Good news

Good news?? Yeah right, how are job losses good news?

This budget coming in will cause a lot of devastation, things will get a lot worse for most people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

this just in: tacky crap shops cant survive after the boom, shock horror :eek:

More to add to the list! :(

Unfortunately, we havehad an economy built on selling stuff to each other, while we had lots of money that's great.

Bring back manufacturing I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Feck, I've a good few friends working in Arcadia group stores... :-/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

More to add to the list! :(

Unfortunately, we havehad an economy built on selling stuff to each other, while we had lots of money that's great.

Bring back manufacturing I say!
    bang on, but will never happen until we slash red tape and encourage our own businesses. The IDA will ensure this never happens, until we are too broke to have an IDA. Then things will start to get better. Slowly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

there are 2500 arcadia stores in the UK. BBC says that the stores to close are the ones in which the lease expires soon. The bulk of the losses will be in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

To be honest, I can see why. There clothes are terrible quality, tacky and overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Saila wrote: »
    this just in: tacky crap shops cant survive after the boom, shock horror :eek:

erm..
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0802/jobs-business.html

so now instead of 4 or 5 shops in every clone town selling the same stuff, it'll all be lumped into one out of town big shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

pennys sell the same ****e for a fraction of the cost......pennys is always mobbed, go figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Topshop in Limerick is closing after Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Ah that's crap, both in terms of job losses and places to buy nice clothes, even if they were over-priced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

df1985 wrote: »
    pennys sell the same ****e for a fraction of the cost......pennys is always mobbed, go figure.

Pennys clothes I find fall to pieces after a few washes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

df1985 wrote: »

I have a pair of skinny jeans that I bought in Pennys over four years ago that I still wear regularly. I have dresses from shops like those in the Arcadia group that haven't lasted four months!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I have a pair of skinny jeans that I bought in Pennys over four years ago that I still wear regularly.
    Ya hobo... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 mdoyler2

They haven’t confirmed any closures yet, they are threatening landlords by looking for rent reductions; by saying they will have no problem closing stores if they don’t get better rate on renewal of the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I honestly don't what Arcadia is and I don't want to google it.

I'm guessing it's like a Claire's Accessories or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Not mine, have 'em for years!;)
    Anonoboy wrote:
    I honestly don't what Arcadia is and I don't want to google it

They own a range of high street shops(mostly womens but some mens too) and their prices which are aimed at the general public and not hob nobs, do be regularly extortionate. Hence some of them going bust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

Burtons... they're Arcdaia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Plaguerised from wikipedia

Current stores:

BHS - Department store, some stores carry other Arcadia brands as concessions
    Burton
    Dorothy Perkins
    Evans
    Miss Selfridge
    Outfit - out-of-town stores carrying various brands, not a clothing brand in its own right
    Tammy - sold within BHS and Outfit, no standalone stores
    Topman
    Topshop
    Wallis

The likes of Penneys and Dunnes here do seriously underprice these stores with equal quality of clothing in alot of instances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Topshop in Limerick is closing after Christmas.

City centre one is closed already, and the Crescent shopping centre one is not renewing it's lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

erm..
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/0802/jobs-business.html

so now instead of 4 or 5 shops in every clone town selling the same stuff, it'll all be lumped into one out of town big shop.

i think we already have enough junk shops.... EuroLand, EuroSaver, Etc. These new ones wont do that well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I feel a great deal of sympathy for the people who may potentially lose thier jobs over this news but conversely I am delighted to see the demise of Next, River Island Topshop et al. The homogenisation of the high street has been detrimentall to sole traders who have seen thier business demolished by these large (mainly English) chain stores coming in and undercut and push out independent traders. I would love to see a time where the likes of Grafton Street is filled with sole traders who have pride in the fact that it is thier name over the door and customers feel appreciated by the trader.

Advertisement