Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb estimates

Options
  • 25-11-2011 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

I have just got my 3 monthly bill, and its double what it was last time.To my knowledge, I didn't use any extra.So I am thinking from now on I might take the reading myself and either phone it in, or do it on-line.I know its doing their job for them, but I think its worth it in case I am being overcharged.It will also give them a better idea of how much I am using over a longer period as well.How do estimates work anyhow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

jimmyw wrote: »
    I have just got my 3 monthly bill, and its double what it was last time.To my knowledge, I didn't use any extra.So I am thinking from now on I might take the reading myself and either phone it in, or do it on-line.I know its doing their job for them, but I think its worth it in case I am being overcharged.It will also give them a better idea of how much I am using over a longer period as well.How do estimates work anyhow?
    estimates work on your usage over the last number of years for the same period but these statistics can be skewed by a flat or apartment being empty for some time or new houses etc have no proper history of use so it is generally guestimated afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have just got my 3 monthly bill, and its double what it was last time.To my knowledge, I didn't use any extra.

Check the actual reading on the meter now, and compare to what's on your bill. This is the only way to know what you've used, and to know if you're being charged the right amount. Speculating on what you think you've used is pointless. The meter reading, and the reading on the bill, are the only things that matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Remember that the unit price for electricity increased recently from 0.1410 to 0.1619 per unit and the standing charge rate increased from 0.2520 to 0.2893 per day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi jimmyw,
    jimmyw wrote:
    How do estimates work anyhow?

In general, ESB Networks (on behalf of all suppliers) plan to read your meter 4 times a year, so in a 12-month period, customers can expect 2 estimations. Note that this number may increase if there are difficulties in gaining access to the meter (e.g. locked gate/meter is inside and there is nobody home).

To enter or amend a reading, you can ring 1850 372 372, email us, or fill in our online form here. With the introduction of our Meter Reading Apps, you can now also submit readings via your Smartphone. For more information on your meter and how to go about reading it, click here.
    foggy_lad wrote:
    estimates work on your usage over the last number of years for the same period but these statistics can be skewed by a flat or apartment being empty for some time or new houses etc have no proper history of use so it is generally guestimated afaik

As foggy_lad has correctly pointed out, estimates are based on past usage patterns. If there is a regular turnover of tenants/occupants at a property, these patterns would then be subject to greater variability, which in turn may lead to inaccurate estimations. Recently built properties, or those with a newly installed meter, may also be subject to estimations out of kilter with actual usage. In such cases, more time will be needed to establish a reliable pattern.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. We have our own forum over at the Talk To... section (and we're also running a competition for a €250 voucher, so just a heads-up on that if you'd like to enter :)).

Thanks,

David.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Thanks David, I never spotted the boards section:o.I have given an actual present meter reading there today through the on-line service.I have thought of the recent price increase, but it seemed alot to me when I saw the bill, though on the whole the bills are usually not too far away from each other.The readings on the bill are for the previous bill.There is certainly no issue with the meter woman not being able to read it,because its on the outside of the house.It used to be inside,(which was a bloody nuisance!) but since 02 it was moved outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

if you load onto your esb online account you and input your actual reading. You get charged for what you use. I won't worry about it

Advertisement