Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel and Xbox live problem

Options
  • 25-11-2011 3:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭

I am having difficulty connecting to Xbox Live through my Zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3.

Just got the router new due to my old Netopia router giving up.

The problem is the NAT and it being strict. So I have opened the relevant ports needed but it still wont work for me. I also have the UPnP active

I could solve the problem on the old router but I think I am missing something here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I am having difficulty connecting to Xbox Live through my Zyxel p-660hw-t1 v3.

Just got the router new due to my old Netopia router giving up.

The problem is the NAT and it being strict. So I have opened the relevant ports needed but it still wont work for me. I also have the UPnP active

I could solve the problem on the old router but I think I am missing something here.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Local-womanizer (Wow, that's one forum handle I thought I'd never see ;)

It's generally not necessary to open individual ports, or change Nat type, to use a Games Console. The Zyxel router is like other modems, and simply all you should need to do is lower the firewall.

The following links on our Support website may be helpful. You'll also find alot of help online. Youtube is a great resource.

Changing the firewall on the eircom Zyxel router is similar to the eircom Netopia. Just open 'Security' on the Menu listing and choose 'Firewall'; Select the radio buton beside 'Low' and click apply.

www.eircom.net/tutorials - 'Games Console Setup'

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/xbox.htm

Set up Gaming or your WiFi Gadget

Need Help?
    If you need technical support, please refer in the first instance to the supplier of the item you are experiencing difficulties with.
    Xbox
    Web:
    Xbox Support E-mail:
    supxbxen@microsoft.com Phone:
    1800 509 186 (9-10 Mon-Fri, Sat 9-8, 9-5 Sun)

Let me know if I can help further.

Best regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Hi Ant, thanks for the quick reply!

When I ran a Xbox live connection test it said it could connect to the wireless but the NAT was set to strict and I would need to change it. Since I have opend to ports and I had the firewall set to low it the NAT notice is gone but I still get disconnected from Live after a period of time and I can't actually join games.

I have looked online but can't seem to find anything to help me!

Cheers

Edit: I think I have the problem resolved now. Got online today but got disconnected twice though. Hopefully that resolves itself.

Hi Ant, thanks for the quick reply!

When I ran a Xbox live connection test it said it could connect to the wireless but the NAT was set to strict and I would need to change it. Since I have opend to ports and I had the firewall set to low it the NAT notice is gone but I still get disconnected from Live after a period of time and I can't actually join games.

I have looked online but can't seem to find anything to help me!

Cheers

Edit: I think I have the problem resolved now. Got online today but got disconnected twice though. Hopefully that resolves itself.

Good job Local-womanizer,

I hope it's worked out for you.

If you do find a ready solution, appreciate if you would post it on the eircom Forum or on Boards.

Let me know if I can help or advise any time in the future.

All the best,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Good job Local-womanizer,

I hope it's worked out for you.

If you do find a ready solution, appreciate if you would post it on the eircom Forum or on Boards.

Let me know if I can help or advise any time in the future.

All the best,
    Ant

Hi Ant.

It's still not can connect then play for awhile and it just disconnects me every 10-15 minutes or so.

I have the firewall is set to low and I have no ports open for the xbox as that didnt make a difference.

At this stage I am thinking I am going to buy my own router...

Hi Ant.

It's still not can connect then play for awhile and it just disconnects me every 10-15 minutes or so.

I have the firewall is set to low and I have no ports open for the xbox as that didnt make a difference.

Hi Local-womanizer,

If you're having local wireless problems, possibly changing the wireless channels on the modem may improve the wireless signal strength ;

Improve your wireless - changing wireless channels on the Zyxel

eircom Forum - http://bit.ly/BBchecklist

If you're thinking of changing your modem, check with Xbox Support to see if their games console is compatible; or if you need to change standard router settings.

If you need technical support, please refer in the first instance to the supplier of the item you are experiencing difficulties with.
    Xbox
    Web:
    Xbox Support E-mail:
    supxbxen@microsoft.com Phone:
    1800 509 186 (9-10 Mon-Fri, Sat 9-8, 9-5 Sun)

eircom Broadband Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Ravenid

Hi Ant.

There's 2 things you need to do when setting up a Zyxel for XBox.

1st is change the firewall to low (Which you have done already if I've read your post correctly.)

2nd is to go to the orange Network link on the left side of the setup screen, from the dropdown otions choose NAT. Where it says Max NAT/Firewall Session Per User put in 4096 and hit Apply.

That should resolve the time out issue.

Advertisement