Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday visa granting time

Options
  • 25-11-2011 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

I'm planning on going to newzealand for a weekend when my WHV expires, to come back and stay for Christmas with my brother and friends, then travel for a few months.

I have 20 000 in the bank so that's not a problem.
    But if I land in NZ on the Saturday and apply for my 6 month holiday visa will I have it by the Monday when I land back in Sydney?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

I'm planning on going to newzealand for a weekend when my WHV expires, to come back and stay for Christmas with my brother and friends, then travel for a few months.

I have 20 000 in the bank so that's not a problem.
    But if I land in NZ on the Saturday and apply for my 6 month holiday visa will I have it by the Monday when I land back in Sydney?

Thanks

As far as i know you don't need to leave the country to get a holiday visa, i remember a friend telling me he was able to get the holiday visa whilst still in the country but this could be all wrong so check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

is there a 28 days grace after your whv visa expires? few lads i met here said that once your whv is up you cant work but you can travel for 28 days after. they could be totally wrong just heard them saying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

As far as I know, given enough time you can apply for a holiday visa without leaving the country. Give immi a ring about this .. I think you need 2 week notice

Danoftroy: no that's incorrect overstaying your whv may land you in a lot of trouble, bans etc

hussey wrote: »
    As far as I know, given enough time you can apply for a holiday visa without leaving the country. Give immi a ring about this .. I think you need 2 week notice

Danoftroy: no that's incorrect overstaying your whv may land you in a lot of trouble, bans etc

yeah i though so too but mates are adamant that they can overstay. there mistake waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Fact sheet 86
    Exclusion from Australia

Persons who overstay their visa by more than 28 days become subject to an exclusion period that prevents them from being granted a temporary visa to travel to Australia for three years. This exclusion period applies whether they leave voluntarily or not.

Even after the exclusion period has finished, the person cannot be granted a visa unless they repay any debt they owe to the Commonwealth, including for costs of removal, or they make satisfactory arrangements to repay their debt.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Fact sheet 86

so maybe there is truth to what my mates said. you can over stay by 28 days but anymore than that you get punished?

danotroy wrote: »
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    Fact sheet 86

so maybe there is truth to what my mates said. you can over stay by 28 days but anymore than that you get punished?

You can over stay by as much as you can as long as you don't get caught. There is no official 28day grace. And anyone reading this shouldn't think there is. If you are caught over staying visa by police you could land yourself in detention (worse than jail).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

danotroy wrote: »

No truth in it, it just states on the fact sheet 86 that if you overstay more than 28 days you will get a 3 year ban. If you overstay there is still a record that you overstayed.

Also if you overstay your visa then the medical reciprocal is no longer valid, if you have a serious accident and end up in hospitial and they catch on you have overstayed then you will be forking out of your own pocket. This has been discussed on here a few occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Would anyone have the number for immigration Sydney so I can try sort this out?
    Would be perfect if I didn't have to leave the country.

Would anyone have the number for immigration Sydney so I can try sort this out?
    Would be perfect if I didn't have to leave the country.

http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/telephone.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I rang immigration and they said I would have to apply for a 601 extended tourist visa.

They said it was unlikely I'll get it since I have been on a WHV for the last year, but there's no harm in trying. Just have to show proof of funds and travel plans and hopefully it should be granted. Get to stay on a bridging visa for a while anyway.

Advertisement