Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking Contracts?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 9:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have a one year lease signed with a student built apartment complex and unfortunately need to break it as I can't afford the rent anymore. In the contract it states that if its broken you are liable for the remaining rent. But things are after taking a turn for the worse and I won't be able to pay that either. Management is sticking to contract. What can I do??? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nolan Properties

I have a one year lease signed with a student built apartment complex and unfortunately need to break it as I can't afford the rent anymore. In the contract it states that if its broken you are liable for the remaining rent. But things are after taking a turn for the worse and I won't be able to pay that either. Management is sticking to contract. What can I do??? Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Hi there, if you call the Prtb on (01) 6350600 or go online to Prtb.ie they are the body that governs landlords and tenants and they will give you advice on how to handle the suitatuon and yes it Is possible to break a lease once you follow the correct procedures. Regards Sharon

• Registered Users Posts: 10 oxplox

You are allowed to sublet the property. Ask them if you can assign your lease to someone else. If they say no then tell them under section 186 of the Residential Tenancies Act you are breaking the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Talk to your landlord and tell him your situation. (S)He may be willing to drop the rent to keep you there and if that fails tell him your going to advertise for someone to take over your lease.

If you find someone you can walk away even if the ll doesn't accept them.

Best option is to talk to the landlord though before you start missing rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If it's student accommodation then a lease might not be in place, but rather a licence to reside. In which case the operation of the arrangement will be govered by the terms of the licence to reside itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Hi there, if you call the Prtb on (01) 6350600 or go online to Prtb.ie they are the body that governs landlords and tenants and they will give you advice on how to handle the suitatuon and yes it Is possible to break a lease once you follow the correct procedures. Regards Sharon

I hope your user name is ironc becaue if it isnt you are not doing your company any favours showing a lack of knowledge regarding leases. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement