Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front Door Sticking Problem

• 25-11-2011 10:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Every winter my front door gives me problems. I'm not sure whether it's the semi-solid wooden floor expanding or the door but it's very sticky. I was hoping to take it off the hinge and plane the end a bit but I'm not sure how to remove these hinges. I've uploaded some pictures of the hinge. Any ideas how to remove the hinge?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

At a guess I'd say remove the set screw/s (seen on the right pic 3) and fold the brown cover back. This should make the actual fixing screws visible.

Or can you remove the hinge pin on the post side (bottom left pic 3) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

it is a simple fix.

If the door is sticking at the bottom. On lock side.

In picture 2 you see a chromed steel part. At the end of the hinge. In the center of that is a 4mm Allan screw.

Use your (good quality) Allen key to turn the screw clockwise. 1/4 turn at a time on the TOP hinge.

This will pull the bottom of the door UP, and away from the floor.

Only turn till it is clear and no more, and with each quarter turn, close and lock the door to make sure your locking system is still lined up.

you cant plane those doors without destroying the seal on the bottom. It looks like a TJ O grady door. They dont come apart to easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

+1 on what gsxr1 said - advice is spot on....

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭crustybread

Thanks for all your help guys. I tried to do it myself but the door is still not right. It's catching on the frame when closing now so i presume it's either a) expanding in the cold or b) not straight in the frame. Think I need a professional. Will have to use the back door in the meantime. Any of you guys near ratoath and fancy a nixer?

Thanks for all your help guys. I tried to do it myself but the door is still not right. It's catching on the frame when closing now so i presume it's either a) expanding in the cold or b) not straight in the frame. Think I need a professional. Will have to use the back door in the meantime. Any of you guys near ratoath and fancy a nixer?

where is it catching on the frame. At the top lock side? Maybe we can talk you through it.

You will have to do this every year as the seasons change, so you might as well learn how.

• Advertisement

Exactly at the top above the lock. I had to give it a good shoulder barge to shut it as it's very tight. I was worried I might not be able to lock it at. Earlier it was even tighter but your suggestion helped me get it back to a close position.

It does not seem to be rubbing at the bottom of the door anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kids are in bed now so I can't do much more fiddling but if you have any suggestions, I'll try tomorrow after work. Thanks again.

What do the other Allen screws do?

The one at top attached to door frame and the other one which is underneath the main hinge part.

All they do is stop the 4mm one from turning. They tighten in on it. The doors are assembled in a factory and are usually spot on . Frame aliment wont really cause floor rubbing issues.

the only means of adjustment is the allen screws.

Im sure the door has 3 hinges.

If it is now rubbing the top then adjust the bottom hinge 1/4 turn clockwise .

This will pull it back down. Its a bit of a balancing act to get it right . But with a bit of practice you will soon figure out the correct position.

If you make note of how many revolutions you have turned each screw and in what direction, you should always be able to return the door to the original position. Be aware of how the little locking dogs on the lock end of the door engage into the frame . These will miss the receivers if you over adjust .

Getting some one to call out for such a small job would be difficult . Sure ye have all the time in the world to mess around with it yourself.

I was the snagger on a few large estates with the same door back in the day. Every home needed a tweek after a few months. Its normal for that type of door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

check if the Allen bolts in the pivot pin can also adjust:
    usually the bottom one is for the hinge height , so you can adjust the whole door height by a small bit. feel for tension in the bolt to get all hinges the same.
    The top one is an eccentric pin to adjust distance from frame. will also affect door hang angle as per previous post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bbragman

Sorry to hear all the problems you are having. If you can switch out your hinges, you can install truly great adjustable hinges. They are easy to use and raise and lower your door, move it side to side or even in and out. YOu will need to mortise the frame and door however like traditional hinges. They are the same size and thickness as fixed hinges but adjustable whenever you need them to be. You can see them at www.adjustabledoorhinge.com. Well worth giving them a try, it will definitely fix your seasonal sticking problems

Bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

bbragman wrote: »
    Sorry to hear all the problems you are having. If you can switch out your hinges, you can install truly great adjustable hinges. They are easy to use and raise and lower your door, move it side to side or even in and out. YOu will need to mortise the frame and door however like traditional hinges. They are the same size and thickness as fixed hinges but adjustable whenever you need them to be. You can see them at www.adjustabledoorhinge.com. Well worth giving them a try, it will definitely fix your seasonal sticking problems

Bill

Cant see these working as this is a PVC door, if i'm not mistaken????

gsxr1 wrote: »
    All they do is stop the 4mm one from turning. They tighten in on it. The doors are assembled in a factory and are usually spot on . Frame aliment wont really cause floor rubbing issues.

the only means of adjustment is the allen screws.

Im sure the door has 3 hinges.

If it is now rubbing the top then adjust the bottom hinge 1/4 turn clockwise .

This will pull it back down. Its a bit of a balancing act to get it right . But with a bit of practice you will soon figure out the correct position.

If you make note of how many revolutions you have turned each screw and in what direction, you should always be able to return the door to the original position. Be aware of how the little locking dogs on the lock end of the door engage into the frame . These will miss the receivers if you over adjust .

Getting some one to call out for such a small job would be difficult . Sure ye have all the time in the world to mess around with it yourself.

I was the snagger on a few large estates with the same door back in the day. Every home needed a tweek after a few months. Its normal for that type of door.

I will give this a try tonight. Should I be doing this when the door is open or closed. I did a bit of fiddling stupidly with the the allen screws on the top of the hinge attached to the door frame before I saw your post yesterday. (The top and bottom of the three)

It looks to my untrained eye that their are two problems with the door at the moment.The top is catching definitely on the lock side. But the door also seems to be not fully flush with the frame under the lock side. It's falling back into the house if that makes sense. I can nearly get my fingers between the door and frame if that makes sense. This is probably down to me fiddling. Is this possible to re-adjust.

Thanks again for all your help.

bbragman wrote: »

Bill

I'm not sure replacing the hinge is what I want to do. Trying to keep costs to a minimum in these times but thanks for the suggestion.

I will give this a try tonight. Should I be doing this when the door is open or closed. I did a bit of fiddling stupidly with the the allen screws on the top of the hinge attached to the door frame before I saw your post yesterday. (The top and bottom of the three)

It looks to my untrained eye that their are two problems with the door at the moment.The top is catching definitely on the lock side. But the door also seems to be not fully flush with the frame under the lock side. It's falling back into the house if that makes sense. I can nearly get my fingers between the door and frame if that makes sense. This is probably down to me fiddling. Is this possible to re-adjust.

Thanks again for all your help.

that does sound like an alignment problem or a twist in the door. I have found that when these doors and not kept right, one locking dog will not line up and push a twist the door over time. If this has happened then you might be best having a chippy who deals with that type of door have a look. They can be brought back with a strong pull.

As for the pin adjustment. I would not go near it as they could make the door hinge bound. They will bring the door in and out against the frame , but thats where there adjustment ends. I sure to change height , washers have to be added. I wise you where local. I would have the thing perfect in 10 mins for free.

Thanks very much for all your help. You've been a gentleman. I would have been fecked last night only for your assistance.

This is typical, I've two good mates who are chippys but they've both left ireland since the building has dried up.

One last question for you:

The door is obviously still misaligned at the top lock side. If I were to open the door, jam some wood under the door to lift it and the twist the allen screw clockwise on the top hinge as you suggested last night and then remove the wood, would the door stay in position or am i clutching at straws.

Thanks very much for all your help. You've been a gentleman. I would have been fecked last night only for your assistance.

This is typical, I've two good mates who are chippys but they've both left ireland since the building has dried up.

One last question for you:

The door is obviously still misaligned at the top lock side. If I were to open the door, jam some wood under the door to lift it and the twist the allen screw clockwise on the top hinge as you suggested last night and then remove the wood, would the door stay in position or am i clutching at straws.

Since you seem to have moved all hinges now. And your door probably looks like this against the frame
    doorc.jpg

Maybe you could screw all adjuster screws in to the start, and count out equal revolutions on each hinge till it hits the frame. Then screw back one turn.

As for the timber under the door. Your door should pull up without the aid of the packer.

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Since you seem to have moved all hinges now. And your door probably looks like this against the frame
    doorc.jpg

Maybe you could screw all adjuster screws in to the start, and count out equal revolutions on each hinge till it hits the frame. Then screw back one turn.

As for the timber under the door. Your door should pull up without the aid of the packer.

Forgive me for being stupid but are the adjuster screws on the top of the hinge are are they the allen screw's I've been turning. Cheers

I didn't realise this last night but when I try to pull up the handle, the bolts do not catch in the door. It's definitely misaligned.:(

I think i'll leave it now. Hopefully one of my buddies may be back around xmas and I'll get them to look at it.

Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement