Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Political History

• 25-11-2011 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭

A lot of discussion here, and probably rightly so, surrounding the performance, or lack therof, of Waterford's political representatives past and present.

This has got me thinking about Waterford's contribution to politics. From what I'm currently aware, we've had very few Government Ministers over the years?

Outside of John Redmond, has Waterford ever produced a genuine political heavyweight?

I also came across something about an Edward Collins who was dismissed from the Dail in 1986, after refusing the Taoiseach's request to resign. Has anyone any idea what led to this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ooh! That takes me back! I can't recall what the controversy was about but I have this idea it involved a large sum of money. I can still picture the front page of the paper.

John Redmond was of course a Wexfordian even though he represented Waterford, some people are convinced that because Waterford was one of the few places not to return a Sinn Fein MP in 1918 that the city (and by extension the county as we are one constituency now) has been paying a price ever since.

350px-Irish_UK_election_1918.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Large sum of money!? This sounds really interesting!

Redmond was from Rosslare? Just doing some searches of him there - huge political dynasty there with the Redmonds. Going from what I remember from school he was always portrayed as being a Waterford man.

The interesting thing about history is that it can vary hugely depending on who is telling the story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Check out Austin Deasy. Political Heavyweight in the 1980's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Funny how three IIP seats were in the North.

Thomas Francis Meaghar?

Advertisement