Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

english passport automatic visa?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My wife was born in England and as such could obtain a UK passport - does this make visa applications easier ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

laurach wrote: »
    My wife was born in England and as such could obtain an English passport - does this make visa applications easier ?
    no such thing as a english passport,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

...and as such could obtain an English passport
    I'm sure there will be some Scottish people who would be interested in this development. :D

But anyway, with a UK passport you can get 6 months holiday visa for Oz and NZ where an Irish passport holder will only get 3 months I believe. Doubt there would be any difference in the process, or likelihood, of getting a working visa though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

My wife was born in England and as such could obtain an English passport - does this make visa applications easier ?

Mate if you are from Ireland you don't need a visa to live in England

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

thanks for the prompt replies and apologies for the lack of clarity/precision in the original post. I of course meant a UK passport and a working visa foe Oz. mea culpa!:(

what sort of working visa?

Like a migration visa

or a working holiday visa?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

from reading pomsinoz and britishexpats they ( as in english british passport holders) would seem to be subjected to the same rules and criteria that we here in ireland are when it comes to getting any type visa/residencey for oz.

but i may be wrong:D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 laurach

A migration visa

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Laurach

What age is your wife and are both her parents UK Citzens

yes its the same, only difference is the medicare entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

mandrake04 wrote: »
    yes its the same, only difference is the medicare entitlements.
    Even with a WHV on an Irish passport you may be eligible for full reciprocal Medicare benefits if you have been resident in the UK for a number of years.

• Advertisement

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Even with a WHV on an Irish passport you may be eligible for full reciprocal Medicare benefits if you have been resident in the UK for a number of years.

Exactly.

but there is an if in there.

otherwise being from the North and on an Irish Passport you are also entitled, although explaining it to medicare does try one's patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I came on an Irish passport initially doing the WHV. Applied for defacto using a british passport. It didn't make any difference to my application but I had medicare.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

robinph wrote: »
    ...and as such could obtain an English passport
    I'm sure there will be some Scottish people who would be interested in this development. :D

But anyway, with a UK passport you can get 6 months holiday visa for Oz and NZ where an Irish passport holder will only get 3 months I believe. Doubt there would be any difference in the process, or likelihood, of getting a working visa though.
    Nah you are wrong there, nothing special about British passport ... If you read immi you'll see that

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

hussey wrote: »
    Nah you are wrong there, nothing special about British passport ... If you read immi you'll see that

There is certainly a different entitlement for UK citizens to get tourist visa to NZ. See the "visa waiver list" here:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/

Sure I'd seen something similar for Australia when looking before, but can't find it now.

Sure I'd seen something similar for Australia when looking before, but can't find it now.

Definitely not I got both British and Irish passport and their is no difference visa wise.

Definitely not I got both British and Irish passport and their is no difference visa wise.

Meh, my fault for mentioning any specific countries then I guess. Should have just left things as vague as they were. ;)

There is certainly a different entitlement for UK citizens to get tourist visa to NZ. See the "visa waiver list" here:
    http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/stream/visit/

That's NZ ... I was talking AUS !
    miscommunication there ... but in AUS no difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So do you now have three?

Zambia wrote: »

Yeah I have 3 passports, Irish, Brit and Australian.

Zambia wrote: »

Yeah I have 3 passports, Irish, Brit and Australian.

I thought we could only get duel citizenship?

• Advertisement

Hardly think it

I'm from the 6 counties so I was born with 2 and naturalised with 1.

I also posted about this before, I am hardly unique http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=696630

Pay attention to post #5 & #7

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Nope, you can have multiple citizenships.

Mellor wrote: »
    Nope, you can have multiple citizenships.

It does depend on the countries involved and how you gain each citizenship, but Ireland/ UK/ Oz all get on pretty well together so can't be much of a reason for one to insist you give up the other between that group of countries.

Advertisement