Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco Mobile

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Tesco Mobile: Paul

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Does Tesco Mobile provide a facility whereby a parent can block Premium Calls and ALL PREMIUM TEXTS for their childs phone.

How does it work??

Our capped plans only allow geographic and mobile calls to be made from the tariff credit awarded for the monthly subscription e.g. a 10e subscription gets you 30e tariff credit that can only be used against regular domestic calls, texts, picture mesages and data. A customer would have to topup in addtition to make or receive premium calls or texts. We are finding these plans hugely popular with families for exactly this reason.

regards
    Paul

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thanks Paul. On the same train can MMS be blocked too.?? I'd be looking at shifting the entire family in one go were that the case.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Thanks Paul. On the same train can MMS be blocked too.?? I'd be looking at shifting the entire family in one go were that the case.

Premium MMS yes, regular MMS no..

regards
    Paul

Hi there,

is there any issue with the tesco mobile website? They are two days I'm trying to register my sim card but it keeps saying:

"There was a problem registering your details, please try again later"

Regards
    Antonio

Hi Antonio,

Please drop care a note here and they can check your account.

http://www.tescomobile.ie/contact-us.aspx

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭lynp27

hi paul
    i cant send or recieve mms. i got the settings sent in a text and it didnt work. then they sent them in an email its still not working it just says"service unavailable message will be sent when service becomes available"

lynp27 wrote: »
    hi paul
    i cant send or recieve mms. i got the settings sent in a text and it didnt work. then they sent them in an email its still not working it just says"service unavailable message will be sent when service becomes available"

Hi Lynp27

This is a settings issue, what is your phone model?

regards
    Paul

samsung galaxy ace

lynp27 wrote: »
    samsung galaxy ace

Please follow these instructions exactly to make sure your settings are correct.
    regards
    Paul

Android Data and MMS Settings

1. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks and turn on Data Roaming (or National Roaming if that option exists)

2. Go to Settings-> Wireless&Networks->Mobile Networks->Access Point Names and delete all existing APN’s.

3. Create a new Internet APN with settings

Name: TMI Internet APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: default, supl

(sometimes for APN Type setting you are only allowed choose from a list. If so choose Internet or default)

4. Create a new MMS APN with settings

Name: TMI MMS APN
    APN: tescomobile.liffeytelecom.com
    MMSC: http://mmc1/servlets/mms

MMS Proxy: 10.1.11.19
    MMS Port: 8080
    MCC: 272
    MNC: 11
    APN Type: mms

5. Reboot your phone

currently unable to send your message. it will be sent when the service becomes available.
    still no luck

• Advertisement

thanks i got it i turned on packet data and it sent
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 podgesdad

Anybody having trouble accessing webtext on Tesco Mobile site? I can access all other menu options but get "Cannot display the webpage" message when I try to use webtexts. Works properly about 1 in 15 tries. Same computer has no trouble with meteor or o2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Mowgli597

I don't seem to be able to get voicemail. Has it been restored or are there still problems?

podgesdad wrote: »
    Anybody having trouble accessing webtext on Tesco Mobile site? I can access all other menu options but get "Cannot display the webpage" message when I try to use webtexts. Works properly about 1 in 15 tries. Same computer has no trouble with meteor or o2.

No problem here.

I have an iPhone and use Jelly SMS to send webtexts - great because it means you can send international/roaming texts without any charge if you're on a wireless network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Hi Johnny

Can you please contact our customer care team at 0894200000 and they should be able to help.

regards
    Paul

Hi Paul,
    I got ported this morning. Thanks for your help behind the scenes :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi Paul,

I think I have the jist of the capped plan but can you just confirm.

I am going to put my wife on a capped €10 plan with a galaxy samsung ace. That works out as €200 for phone and then €10 after per month.

If she adds data plan that is €6.99 off the €30 flex credit given, leaving her €23 credit for calls and texts for the month. Am I right about this as it states that add on bundles (data I assume) cannot be taken off the flex credit value ?? Does this mean a monthly spend of €16.99 instead of capped €10 ??

What is the miniumum period of contract for this. I searched the website and failed to find it.

Thanks

• Advertisement

podgesdad wrote: »

It can take a while to load so if you have a slow connection it may be timing out.

regards
    Paul

Damien360 wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

I think I have the jist of the capped plan but can you just confirm.

I am going to put my wife on a capped €10 plan with a galaxy samsung ace. That works out as €200 for phone and then €10 after per month.

If she adds data plan that is €6.99 off the €30 flex credit given, leaving her €23 credit for calls and texts for the month. Am I right about this as it states that add on bundles (data I assume) cannot be taken off the flex credit value ?? Does this mean a monthly spend of €16.99 instead of capped €10 ??

What is the miniumum period of contract for this. I searched the website and failed to find it.

Thanks

Hi Damien,

No its a little different than that.

Capped is a SIM Only type plan with a 30 day contract.
    You can buy a phone with it but its much the same as buying a Prepay phone separately.

The way capped works as a plan is that for your subscription you get triple the amount of tariff credit. Subscription can be 10e, 20e or 30e.

Tariff credit can only be used for Irish calls to landline or mobile, irish texts/picture messages or data (outside bundle).

All premium/non geographic calls, premum texts , interational, roaming, bundle purchases etc require extra topup.

It she wants to purchase a data bundle you would need to topup addtionaly to the 10e base subscription.

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

Mowgli597 wrote: »
    I don't seem to be able to get voicemail. Has it been restored or are there still problems?

Voice mail should be fine. Drop care a note here if you are still having issues

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 9 veelckoo

I have registered on 'My Tesco Mobile!'.
    I'm going to buy another tesco sim card - question is - can I add the second card onto 'My Tesco Mobile!' account?
    I can't find an option to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi,

just wanted to check: I see that my bonus credit will expire on April 11. Does this mean I have until the end of the day on April 11 or the end of April 10? Just in case I leave it to last minute some month by accident...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi Damien,

No its a little different than that.

Capped is a SIM Only type plan with a 30 day contract.
    You can buy a phone with it but its much the same as buying a Prepay phone separately.

The way capped works as a plan is that for your subscription you get triple the amount of tariff credit. Subscription can be 10e, 20e or 30e.

Tariff credit can only be used for Irish calls to landline or mobile, irish texts/picture messages or data (outside bundle).

All premium/non geographic calls, premum texts , interational, roaming, bundle purchases etc require extra topup.

It she wants to purchase a data bundle you would need to topup addtionaly to the 10e base subscription.

Hope this helps

regards
    Paul

So that is €10 credit equals €30 flex credit and data charged at 79c per 50Mb if data bundle not added. Is this correct ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

I am trying to top up credit to my new tesco sim. The instruction on the voucher says to call 1740 Free to top-up. When I call this number, the call seems to be live - but I don't hear any automated message??

Anyone know how this works?

Looks like the top up facility was down when I tried it very late last night (approx. midnight) and again this morning. Tried again just now and worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Paul, pm sent in relation to poor data speeds in Dublin north.

veelckoo wrote: »
    I have registered on 'My Tesco Mobile!'.
    I'm going to buy another tesco sim card - question is - can I add the second card onto 'My Tesco Mobile!' account?
    I can't find an option to do that.

Yes, call care on 0894200000 and they can have the send number put on the same account.

regards
    Paul

byrnefm wrote: »
    Hi,

just wanted to check: I see that my bonus credit will expire on April 11. Does this mean I have until the end of the day on April 11 or the end of April 10? Just in case I leave it to last minute some month by accident...

I believe its the end of April 11 but I am not 100%...

Looks like the top up facility was down when I tried it very late last night (approx. midnight) and again this morning. Tried again just now and worked fine.

OK will check this. Might have been planned works.

GIMP wrote: »
    Paul, pm sent in relation to poor data speeds in Dublin north.

OK Gimp, we are following up on this with our teams and O2

Damien360 wrote: »
    So that is €10 credit equals €30 flex credit and data charged at 79c per 50Mb if data bundle not added. Is this correct ?

Yes correct on the credit but its 79c per mb. Our data pricing will be changing soon though :) more to come on this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

OK Gimp, we are following up on this with our teams and O2
    Paul, am getting very poor data performance in North Dublin at the mo (near Ikea). Ran speedtest app and got the following averages over three speed tests:

Ping: 550ms / Download: 130kbts / Upload: 160kbts

Worst performances were
    Ping 1158 Ms / Download 48kbs / Upload: none (app eventually timed out with comms error)

The signal strength here is modest enough - I've had better performance over worse reception. Like others commenting here, there seems to have been a gradual degradation in the past while. Today has been the worst for me though so far.

• Advertisement

I'm glad someone else has reported this, my speeds today 0.04mb, ping of 2565, and upload 0.00mb, has been very slow for over a week now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

[QUOTE

Ping: 550ms / Download: 130kbts / Upload: 160kbts

Worst performances were
    Ping 1158 Ms / Download 48kbs / Upload: none (app eventually timed out with comms error)

T.[/QUOTE]

This is mine in north county dublin ( near Swords) at present
    708ms ping - 60kps dl- no upload as it timed out .

This is my first day on Tesco Mobile :(

Hi Paul,

sorry to trouble you again - is there a problem with MMS sending this evening? I was trying to send one to another Tesco Mobile customer without any joy. I tried both from Letterkenny and also Ballybofey this evening (between 8:30 and 9:30pm).

Ya down here too mms messages failing!!

MMS never worked on my phone so can't comment on whether it is available or not. However, I recently retried a speedtest from here at home and this is what I got:

Ping 706 ms / Download 185kbps / Upload 5 kbps (after a minute or so..)

Phone is showing modest signals strength and a HSPDA connection.

Without wishing or wanting to pile pressure on anyone, I think there is more than anecdotal evidence here that there is something awry with data performance at the mo.

byrnefm wrote: »
    Hi Paul,

sorry to trouble you again - is there a problem with MMS sending this evening? I was trying to send one to another Tesco Mobile customer without any joy. I tried both from Letterkenny and also Ballybofey this evening (between 8:30 and 9:30pm).

Turns out I had to turn off my phone and turn it back on again to be able to send my MMSes (or even texts). For some reason, after I visit my parents - who have little to no network coverage - Tesco Mobile SIM seems to require a phone restart to work on the network again. Same with my wife's phone, though at least hers explicitly says 'restart phone to connect to service' or something like that.

Never had to do it with O2 - is this a known quirk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

My data connection is gone so bad I cant even get speedtest to load. Almost impossible to view anything. :mad:

Had to type this on a different computer as its impossible to get boards.ie to load on the one using the dongle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

pissed wrote: »
    My data connection is gone so bad I cant even get speedtest to load. Almost impossible to view anything. :mad:

Had to type this on a different computer as its impossible to get boards.ie to load on the one using the dongle.

Mine as well
    Once us very good and then going to one stroke.

What the hell?

Voice mail should be fine. Drop care a note here if you are still having issues
    regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul. Support were a great help.

Sadly voice mail as I was used to it on O2 isn't quite so simple for iPhone users. For what it's worth here's how I've gone about setting it up (iPhone4):

- enter the voicemail settings as advised by Tescomobile in their "Getting Started" section at http://www.tescomobile.ie/helpandsupport/getting-started.aspx

Here's where the iPhone lets you down. There is no "Conditional Call Forwarding" options: i.e. call forward if busy, call forward if not reachable, call forward if not answered. All iPhone users can do is set "Call Forward" and ALL incoming calls will be sent to the mailbox number which you set up under this option in "Settings, "Phone". That's certainly not what I wanted.

However, all is not lost! You can program these options manually and it works on Tescomobile.ie (or rather it did for me!)

- To setup “Call forward if busy”, simply dial *67*[another phone number]# and tap “Call”

- To setup “Call forward if not answered”, simply dial *61*[another phone number]# and tap “Call”

- To setup “Call forward if unreachable”, simply dial *62*[another phone number]# and tap “Call”

- To deactivate “Call forward if busy”, simply dial #67# and tap “Call”

- To deactivate “Call forward if not answered”, simply dial #61# and tap “Call”

- To deactivate “Call forward if not reachable”, simply dial #62# and tap “Call”

Make sure that under "Settings", "Phone" you turn OFF Call Forwarding (unless you want all calls to be diverted to voicemail immediately)

In the settings section above, [another phone number] = your mobile number with the addition of the digit "5" following the initial 08x. This is your voice mailbox number. For example, if your mobile number is 089 123 4567:

- To setup “Call forward if not answered”, simply dial *61*08951234567# and tap “Call”

A message should be displayed on your iPhone saying that all kinds of calls, faxes, datacalls etc. etc. has been set to forward if not answered.

Of course, your mileage may vary!

Hope this helps.

Mowgli

PS Having moved from O2 to Tescomobile I discovered that my "Voicemail" button would not work on the iPhone, even though O2 use the same number (171) for Voicemail.

To reset this do the following:

- dial *5005*86*171#

- press call

Nothing is displayed but if you press the voicemail button it should now call your voicemail

Once again, though, YMMV!

• Advertisement

fAzI wrote: »
    Mine as well

What the hell?

Hi All

Can you please PM me your exact locations. This is not a network wide issue and is likely affecting O2 subs on the same sites also.

regards
    Paul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭pissed

Hi All

Can you please PM me your exact locations. This is not a network wide issue and is likely affecting O2 subs on the same sites also.

regards
    Paul

PM sent.

fAzI wrote: »
    Mine as well

What the hell?

Hi All

regards
    Paul

PM sent.

PM sent about this already on 8th Paul.
    Hi All

regards
    Paul

Thanks you all re data speeds. I am following up on this issue now with Technology teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SSCorn

Hi,

I recently moved to Tesco but may move back to Meteor cause the web text is painfully slow - between logging in, waiting for the right page to load etc. it takes about a minute or longer to send a text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Savage_Henry

SSCorn wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently moved to Tesco but may move back to Meteor cause the web text is painfully slow - between logging in, waiting for the right page to load etc. it takes about a minute or longer to send a text.
    use cabbage texter

I'm using it, but prefer texting via PC. And I'm about to stop regularly buying Tesco 3G (and thus Cabbage) since I realised that I can't use the free credit to buy data.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Savage_Henry

I'm using it, but prefer texting via PC. And I'm about to stop regularly buying Tesco 3G (and thus Cabbage) since I realised that I can't use the free credit to buy data.

there is a pc version too

since I realised that I can't use the free credit to buy data.
    Is that true? What sort of nonsense is that?

there is a pc version too

Didn't know about that. Just got it from http://www.cabbagetexter.com. A little tricky to configure but working now. Cheers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement