Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airtricity Discount Over - What Now?

Options
  • 25-11-2011 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I had signed up with Airtricity for gas and electricity more than a year ago and now the honeymoon period is over. I'm expecting to see a much higher bill, especially as we move into the winter.

Would I be better off going back to Bord Gais for gas and electricity now?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Why not check the prices from all the providers and make that decision for your self? There are only 4 of them, and they all publish their prices online.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

Same thing happened to me a couple of months back.

called thier customer care and asked (Feigning ignorance) why my rates had gone up. The agent explained then offered to put them back down.:D

Sorted. Dont know how long that will last though

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dirty_leo

jor el wrote: »
    Why not check the prices from all the providers and make that decision for your self? There are only 4 of them, and they all publish their prices online.

Thanks jor el. That's true. Why do we even need boards.ie at all? We have Google after all. We type it tells. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

dirty_leo wrote: »
    Thanks jor el. That's true. Why do we even need boards.ie at all? We have Google after all. We type it tells. ;)

Well, this particular board is for issues that consumers face when buying goods and services from retailers. It's not for general musings or for people too lazy to just look it up for themselves. The question you asked is one you don't actually need to ask. What you're looking for is for someone else to do the leg work for you, when all you need to do is check the prices for yourself.

There is no issue here at all, nor is there really anything worth discussing. In the time it took you to post this thread, you would have found the answer for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭vicM

to be fair they try very hard to hide thier costs. very hard to get cents/mAh or cents/cubic meter of gas, keeping into account offers like DD and bundles.

Even sites like bonkers.ie ask you how much you spend to recommed a provider!! No. I want you to give me the actual cost/unit, I WILL decide the provider

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    Well, this particular board is for issues that consumers face when buying goods and services from retailers. It's not for general musings or for people too lazy to just look it up for themselves. The question you asked is one you don't actually need to ask. What you're looking for is for someone else to do the leg work for you, when all you need to do is check the prices for yourself.

There is no issue here at all, nor is there really anything worth discussing. In the time it took you to post this thread, you would have found the answer for yourself.

I'd respectfully disagree. I might have posted this message to the wrong board, mea culpa, then this thread can be moved by a moderator.

But I was looking for either a quick response or a hidden tip just like the one given by vicM. I was going to ring them anyway but now I know that it's possible to continue with the same rate. Armed with that I feel more confident.

This board is not the information bible or the only source of truth so any question asked here can be obtained from other better/more official sources. Your argument can be valid for *any question* asked to *anyone*. I have been a mod and admin on various forums for twelve years so I know where you're coming from but your tone is disrespectful.

So, I sincerely hope that I'm not taken for a lazy dork. Again, if this is not the right spot for this type of questions, I apologize, a mod can move the thread to the appropriate forum. But I did search through boards.ie and I came across similar questions on this forum so I thought it was appropriate to post here.

Again, thanks for keeping this thread alive jor el (with off topic discussion, mind you), it bumps it up every time increasing my chances to get more responses. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭rameire

go with flogas for gas.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yes they seem to come out cheaper on bonkers for everyone I try, but after trying about 8 dif accounts every customer gets a different recommendation depending on standing charge, night-time electricity etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accomodation & Property (as there is no Consumer Issue here).

dudara

I wasn't familiar with bonkers.ie. Thanks very much. I'm going through how much I spent last year but it is telling me that I'd save a considerable amount with Flo Gas (gas) + Airtricity (electricity). So I have to do the maths for last year just to have a more accurate figure. And with a baby at home full time this winter, I'm sure we're going to heat it a tiny bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

I had signed up with Airtricity for gas and electricity more than a year ago and now the honeymoon period is over. I'm expecting to see a much higher bill, especially as we move into the winter.

Would I be better off going back to Bord Gais for gas and electricity now?

check out ebonkers.ie
    last time I checked Esb Electric Ireland cheapest electricity
    flogas cheapest Gas ...................don't take up a dual fuel bundle your not maximising your savings doing that

I rang Airtricity and they offered me a pretty good deal.
    I'm going to pay 4.3 cent per kWh for gas and as far as I can see this is a better rate than Flogas's. Am I missing something?

(I know that Airtricity's electricity rate is higher than what I can find but I'm definitely using more gas than electricity).

does that include vat

also check out their standing charge, it has always been higher at airtricity.
    also most of the time airtricity conversion rate to units is higher than the other suppliers.

Doh! I'm guessing the price I got doesn't include VAT. I'd better ring them back and check that.

Thanks for these points. Greatly appreciated.

Yes... Well... The price I got was VAT excluded. I switched over to Flogas.

Even though their standing charges are higher, Airtricity rates look good for electricity only (according to bonkers.ie) if I sign up with a 2 year contract. Not sure if I get that rate automatically but when the gas switchover is complete, I'll ring them again to get my current rate and then decide.

Thanks again for all the help people! ;)

Advertisement