Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Sales Conman

Options
  • 25-11-2011 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Bought a car off Donedeal and I was done, the guy I bought it off killed his phone the day after I bought the car! All sorts of problems as soon as I got home, within 24 hours, I know its buyer beware but this didnt and doesnt feel right.
    I couldn't find him until I found this ad below on donedeal, Ben in Lucan, this photo was taken exactly in the same location as the one I bought, All ads read, One Lady Owner (not true), Warranty Cover, (no Warranty)****Genuine Car***** 110% Just NCT'd !!!!!!

Be very aware, he has a new 085 number now, If you see this house in the back ground leave the car where it is!!!

I rang him and he told me it was a genuine car that he sold me and that I would have no trouble getting rid of it but still he wouldnt take it back for €500 less than I gave him for it!

Watch out folks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I know it may seem harsh n all but if the ad reads

One Lady Owner, Warranty Cover, ****Genuine Car***** 110% Just NCT'd !!!!!!

Just run a mile. It was clear from the ad it was a pile of junk with that writing. You won't hear back from him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Zerostandards

I now know that you are 110% right with the benefit of hindsight!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

If he's selling several cars, then isn't there the possibility of shipping him to the Gardai / tax for being an unregistered dealer? Or am I talking out of my arse?

Not sure if the Gardai would be to bothered but it looks like he is turning a few cars there so maybe the Vat inspector might take an interest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

All sorts of problems as soon as I got home

What kinda problems? I note from the ad that it has NCT till 02/14, and that the car passed the NCT test only 10 days ago

But as you say, buyer beware. As soon as you paid your moneys, any problems were your problems and your problems only. Sorry to be harsh, but let's say you learned an important lesson here!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

We need to know the problems,,and then make a judgement on weather it was a Dud NCT Cert or not,,,,,what problems have you had with it,,,,

The Car was started when I went to collect it, next time I switched it on, Air bag malfunction light, I know I made a stupid mistake, but I never heard the engine running from cold, hence on cold start up rattle rattle rattle, yes its the timing chain and thats probably a motor out job to repair and a serious load of cash, while looking around for the Air bag fault noticed that the drivers seat belt is not retracting properly. By the way the car above is not the car I bought, thats just to show where the photos were taken reference! The NCT on the car I bought was valid because I did check that out before hand!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

If he's a trader than he has to be registered for tax etc, maybe you should check ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

What car did you buy and the price?

Sucks getting ripped off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

.....Air bag malfunction light.....

NCT fail there.

Light must come on for a few seconds then go out.

DId anyone see cars 2? they call bad cars lemons! I think I bought a lemon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

DId anyone see cars 2? they call bad cars lemons! I think I bought a lemon!

That phrase has been around a lot longer than Cars 2. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

Hmmmmm..... (oh and hello everybody :) )

<snip link to a specific seller's ads>

Hello to you too, anything to add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

Nope......That is all

Open the link

I hope nixer Jim saved his cash on that peugeot! I'd have a better weekend if I knew I helped someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

He is selling a fair few cars so he should in theory be offering warranty and be fully tax compliant.

Where do you go to report or find out about his tax compliance and maybe you cant say here but how did you find out that he has a high turnover of cars? Would like some come back on this boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Where do you go to report or find out about his tax compliance and maybe you cant say here but how did you find out that he has a high turnover of cars? Would like some come back on this boy!

Maybe if you took a look at the Link that nixer Jim posted instead of making smart comments to him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Hey, I read back the comment to nixer jim, if that sounded smart I apologise, I am an honest guy and dont want to offend anyone in here or anywhere. I am just trying to get ideas as to how I approach the issue and how I can get some comeback, I hoped when I saw that post from nixer jim that I had saved him from making the same mistakes I made.

Never intended to be smart mouthed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Hey, I read back the comment to nixer jim, if that sounded smart I apologise, I am an honest guy and dont want to offend anyone in here or anywhere. I am just trying to get ideas as to how I approach the issue and how I can get some comeback, I hoped when I saw that post from nixer jim that I had saved him from making the same mistakes I made.

Never intended to be smart mouthed at all.
    He posted up a link to Done Deal with the phrase "DEFINITLY Buy" in it which is a mis-spelling that your con-man seems to use. Most of the results show cars outside his house, all with more or less the same spiel, and different 085 numbers and call back a guy by the name of Jim or Pat or whatever else he likes to be called!

Very Clever, If I ever get rid of this car and decide to buy again I will be a hell of alot wiser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

@all - I've snipped Nixer Jim's link to the (potentially) scam seller's cars.
    Without concrete proof that the seller knew of, and deliberately concealed, these problems, this could be libellous.

Please don't give any more identifying information with regards to this seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Is it just me or is Donedeal the place, to buy "interesting cars".

Seems to be alot of stories going round about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

used info provided to search for the adds on donedeal, amazing he has a load of cars between 7 and 12 years old all lady drivers from new?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jagle wrote: »
    used info provided to search for the adds on donedeal, amazing he has a load of cars between 7 and 12 years old all lady drivers from new?

All the names after different too, Pat, ben and Richard :confused:

Ring him, and ask who you are speaking to, see does he stumbles on his own name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

indeed some chancer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

The Car was started when I went to collect it, next time I switched it on, Air bag malfunction light, I know I made a stupid mistake, but I never heard the engine running from cold, hence on cold start up rattle rattle rattle, yes its the timing chain and thats probably a motor out job to repair and a serious load of cash, while looking around for the Air bag fault noticed that the drivers seat belt is not retracting properly. By the way the car above is not the car I bought, thats just to show where the photos were taken reference! The NCT on the car I bought was valid because I did check that out before hand!

What car is it and who diagnosed it as timing chain rattle? Do an oil change, if the chain is rattling, low oil could be causing the tensioners to slacken off...

Advertisement