Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for 1st tattoo...

• 25-11-2011 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

...or 'stuff I'm too shy to ask in a tattoo shop'.

Hi guys,

I have no tatts as yet but really want some. The thing that has always stopped me is that I feel really awkward about going into a place and asking loads of dumb questions. Basically i want to know....how do i find the right artist for what i want? What if I'm not happy with their drawing and want to make changes? Will they help advise me on placement or laugh at me for not being sure where I want it? Can i show them a picture but ask them to draw more in the same style?

Phew....lots of questions right?!

So here is the sort of thing I want ES71.jpg but without the girl. I also want someone who can draw a raccoon instead of one of the foxes but in the same style. I did email the artist and ask her but she doesn't do commissions :(

I would really appreciate some advice on this so i can finally have the balls to go get my tattoo!!

=^.^=

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

giddybootz wrote: »
    ...or 'stuff I'm too shy to ask in a tattoo shop'.

Hi guys,

I have no tatts as yet but really want some. The thing that has always stopped me is that I feel really awkward about going into a place and asking loads of dumb questions. Basically i want to know....how do i find the right artist for what i want?

The only way you can do this is by going to artists and having a look at portfolios and having a chat with them about what you want. Most have online portfolios too.

What if I'm not happy with their drawing and want to make changes?

Just say it to them. After all it's your tattoo on your body so you need to be 100% on what you want. But don't be rude to the artist about it either
    :P

Will they help advise me on placement or laugh at me for not being sure where I want it?

Absolutely they will advise you. It's all part of their job and have lot's of experience in doing so.

Can i show them a picture but ask them to draw more in the same style?

Yes of course. You don't always have to have the exact image you want to get tattooed. Just bring in a few ideas for the artist to work with.

Phew....lots of questions right?!

Basically there's nothing to be afraid of going into a tattoo studio. They've all heard the questions before and will have no problem helping you out. They're not big scary guys with tattoos :P Best of luck with whatever you decide to get!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭antocann

just go in , artist are great for a chat , they like you to have trust in them , once you get talking and your first tattoo your gona go back :D
    i have about 20 tattoos now , and still adding to turn one arm into a sleeve :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

In order to get what you want the artist has to be able to do what you want. Check that the artists portfolio is in a similar style to what you're looking for. For instance if I was looking to get a portrait done I would go to an artist with a long history of doing portrait tattoos very well.
    In your case look for an artist who can do a good animated style. Maybe some tim burton style tattoos. Might be advisable to pay attention to their use of shading in those tattoos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Don't be shy about going in and chatting to artists, it's part of their job! It sounds like a really cute idea! Just pop into a few different studios, have a look at some portfolio's and have a few chats!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Ask what you need too, if they dont like questins or imput you dont want ink from them. I can recommend someone in North kildare for Tim Burton style if you are in Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Not only shading but look at how heavy handed or not the artist is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

I had the same kind of nerves before I got my first tattoo. What I did was shop around. Find a place that you feel comfortable in and make sure to have a long look at their previous work.

Also don't feel pressurised to get your tattoo in the first place you see.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouraging words....I feel better about going in now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Sure, you have the rest of your life to regret it... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

exaisle wrote: »
    Sure, you have the rest of your life to regret it... :-)
    Save those kinda comments for another forum please, or you'll get some holiday from this one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement