Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Tax collectors have us at our tipping point !!

• 25-11-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭

Come on Mr Gov, you can do better than that, hit me harder, I've lost one arm & one leg, but tis meerly a scratch, a flesh-wound, come on ya big pussy-cat :rolleyes:

I guess the moral of the story is: don't get married, have a couple of kids & be on the avg industrial wage !!
    Average workers are reaching a tipping point over the amount of tax they can pay, experts have said.

With VAT going up 2% in next month’s budget, the Irish Tax Institute has warned the Government that consumers are running out of room to keep giving to the exchequer.

In the last three years, families have seen take-home pay collapse by anything up to €613 after income tax rises, new levies, child benefit cuts, health insurance hikes and the abolition of childcare supplements are all measured.

Bernard Doherty, president of the Irish Tax Institute, said there had been a dramatic impact on people’s ability to pay in just four budgets.

“The capacity for people to bear more pain is running out as we approach an overall tipping point in terms of the money that can be taken from them in tax,” he said.

“We welcome the minister’s commitment not to touch income taxes which would damage employment and the economy; however there is no doubt that €1.6bn in tax adjustments next year would still be felt by Irish taxpayers at an individual level.”

The institute has offered in-depth analysis on how a selection of average family incomes have been hit since 2008.

:: A single worker on the average industrial wage of €35,000 is €157 worse off, while someone earning €75,000 is down €405.

:: A one wage couple with two children on €35,000 are €423 or 16% worse off, while a similar couple on €55,000 lost €283 and those on €75,000 – down €428.

:: A married couple with two children and both working on average wages – a drop of €315.

:: On top of the income tax and levies, child benefit for the parents of two children has been cut by €52 and the childcare supplement of €183 has been wiped out.

The Irish Tax Institute also warned that losses soar to €613 for average earners with children when child benefit cuts, childcare allowances and general living expenses such as commuting costs are factored in.

Most of their assessments on wages do not factor in reduced tax relief on medical bills and increased health insurance costs, the report said.

Mr Doherty said it was vital that the Government looked at an ambitious tax strategy that supported indigenous Irish businesses, job creation and drove the domestic economy.

“The only real solution for increasing taxes is to broaden the tax base through job creation,” he said.

“We need an ambitious tax strategy that supports Irish indigenous business, drives sales and exports and creates the major employers of the future.”

The report found that in just over three years and four budgets, income tax had increased, while five new taxes including the income levy, as it was first known, and now the universal social charge, the pension levy, the €200 second home levy, carbon tax and the expected flat-rate €100 household charge had been introduced.

The group stated that new taxes had brought in €4.8bn over the last three years and another €4.65bn was being targeted over the next four budgets, starting next month.

The institute is now forecasting income tax take this year will exceed 2008, the last days of the boom, and will be the highest on record, beating 2007, despite unemployment tripling since then.

The total income tax take has soared from €13.5bn in 2007 to an estimated €14.1bn this year

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/workers-on-tax-tipping-point-529647.html#ixzz1eiJqSAY3

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭cosmicfart

suck it up and quit ur whining already we are all suffering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

A single worker on the average industrial wage of €35,000 is €157 worse off

€157?
    €13 a month?

OH NO!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

While some of the tax cuts have been inequitable, we have to expect that after years of stupidly low taxes & bad management by government, that we would eventually have to foot the bill.

But the amount of whinging about it is ridiculous. I have yet to see anyone starve to death from tax cuts & we're still relatively well off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But the amount of whinging about it is ridiculous. I have yet to see anyone starve to death from tax cuts & we're still relatively well off.
    You'd be hard pushed to find even a homeless person in this country on the verge of starving. Food is all over the place even if you've no money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

foxyboxer wrote: »

OH NO!!!!!!!!

Where do i sign up for one of these average wages... Im nowhere near that money working full time!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Where do i sign up for one of these average wages... Im nowhere near that money working full time!!!

its easy just call yourself an average man/woman and have 2.5 kids

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Most of those tax measures are common sense in my opinion.

Don't say too much, they might find a way to tax opinions too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Biggins wrote: »

"The abolition of tax relief for those paying bin charges." WTF? I didn't hear about that...

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    "The abolition of tax relief for those paying bin charges." WTF? I didn't hear about that...

Of course you didn't - or did many.
    I'm sure you didn't hear about they awarding themselves rights to drive on bus lanes either. (HERE)
    ...Meanwhile the former garda drivers who resigned the force so to continue as their private drivers, are now recieving state pensions AND driver saleries which are being paid out of TD's expenses - in other words the publics pocket. Therefore we are now paying twice as much! Beat that!

Just quietly done! More daily quiet goings on - nothing to see... move along...

Another day, another thing the people find out about...

Of course you didn't - or did many.
    I'm sure you didn't hear about they awarding themselves rights to drive on bus lanes either. (HERE)
    I heard that on the radio the other day... What a joke. I wonder if they'll be allowed do it while their on their 2 months summer holidays from the Dail too.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

While some of the tax cuts have been inequitable, we have to expect that after years of stupidly low taxes & bad management by government, that we would eventually have to foot the bill.

Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Come on Mr Gov, you can do better than that, hit me harder, I've lost one arm & one leg, but tis meerly a scratch, a flesh-wound, come on ya big pussy-cat :rolleyes:

I guess the moral of the story is: don't get married, have a couple of kids & be on the avg industrial wage !!

Youre only realising this now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

€157?
    €13 a month?

OH NO!!!!!!!!

Thats 3 pints a month

€157?
    €13 a month?

OH NO!!!!!!!!

I'd say that's €157 per month really, universal social charge and all.

RoverJames wrote: »

Lazy journalist couldn't spare the 'per month' part.

Still though. So what. It's only money. No-one died.

So people might have to *gasp - gulp* budget their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Handy11

RoverJames wrote: »

€157?
    €13 a month?

OH NO!!!!!!!!

It is. That was (loosely) indicated by saying the reduction was 16%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is there any word on price increases on Chomp bars in the budget?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No price increase, but the bars will be smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

smash wrote: »
    No price increase, but the bars will be smaller.

We have now officially reached rock bottom. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Lazy journalist couldn't spare the 'per month' part.

So people might have to *gasp - gulp* budget their money.

whatever you do dont look up the amount of suicides that have been blamed on the increase financial stress in the last few years.

Its only ever people who have lots of money who say 'its only money' some people are genuinly struggling

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Not sure but I did hear this.

The Topic of the latest budget took some Time Out today to discuss proposed taxation on Double Decker buses sending markets into a Twirl. After Eight hours of Wispa-s and Flake-ing in government corridors, the minister has decided that the Lion share of the tax will Rolo-ver to next year and will provide an extra Bounty for the exchequer.

Not sure but I did hear this.

The Topic of the latest budget took some Time Out today to discuss proposed taxation on Double Decker buses sending markets into a Twirl. After Eight hours of Wispa-s and Flake-ing in government corridors, the minister has decided that the Lion share of the tax will Rolo-ver to next year and will provide an extra Bounty for the exchequer.

*bangs head on work desk* :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭LK_Dave

...Meanwhile the former garda drivers who resigned the force so to continue as their private drivers, are now recieving state pensions AND driver saleries which are being paid out of TD's expenses - in other words the publics pocket. Therefore we are now paying twice as much! Beat that!

Just quietly done! More daily quiet goings on - nothing to see... move along...

Another day, another thing the people find out about...
    :eek:

Is this for real?

LK_Dave wrote: »
    :eek:

Is this for real?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

whatever you do dont look up the amount of suicides that have been blamed on the increase financial stress in the last few years.

Its only ever people who have lots of money who say 'its only money' some people are genuinly struggling

And the irony is that the VAT on rope is going up in the next budget.
    They even try to squeeze ya for money on the way out.

Except a few waiting for treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭spoofilyj

Also they are redefining what can be considered Bread...

So Bagels and Onion bread will be more expensive after the budget because of this change... I dont really care about the Bagel increase but Onion bread is yummy...NOMnomNOMnom

Un-fcuking real!
    Noonan admits: Plans for VAT hike didn’t consider drop in demand

MINISTER FOR FINANCE Michael Noonan has admitted that his proposal to raise VAT by two per cent in the forthcoming Budget – which will raise VAT from 21 to 23 per cent – did not account for any impact on consumer demand.
    In response to a parliamentary question tabled by Fianna Fáil’s finance spokesman Michael McGrath, Noonan said his estimates – which said the proposal could raise an extra €670m – did not allow for the fact that it could lead to lower sales.

Continues here: http://businessetc.thejournal.ie/noonan-admits-plans-for-vat-hike-didnt-consider-drop-in-demand-288730-Nov2011/?new_comment=1#comment-161993

Like "Doh!"
    Absolutely unreal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I STARVED TO DEATH LAST WEEK.

Advertisement